What's new

Warner/MGM/Columbia/Fox: Films of John Garfield (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Where is the great, original Hollywood rebel on DVD? Mostly neglected on VHS, I hope the same does not happen to John Garfield on DVD, as well.
I'm very glad to have Body and Soul on DVD from Artisan and it's also good to have the good supporting performance of Gentleman's Agreement on DVD from Fox.
Warner, please recognize the unjust burying of Garfield and release some of his great works from the vaults:
Pride of the Marines
Four Daughters
Dust Be My Destiny
The Breaking Point
Force of Evil
The Sea Wolf
The Postman Always Rings Twice
Air Force
Daughters Courageous
Humoresque
Castle on the Hudson
They Made Me a Criminal
The Fallen Sparrow
Fox, please see fit to consider:
Under My Skin
Columbia:
We Were Strangers
MGM, please give us Garfield's final contribution to the screen:
He Ran All the Way
The remaining Warner Garfield titles:
Flowing Gold
Dangerously They Live
Blackwell's Island
Juarez
Tortilla Flat
Destination Tokyo
Out of the Fog
East of the River
Between Two Worlds
Saturday's Children
Nobody Lives Forever
Thank Your Lucky Stars
Hollywood Canteen
There is a public domain DVD Cinema's Dark Side that includes They Made Me a Criminal, but I am leery of the quality. Anyone seen this?
Anyone else missing John Garfield on their Home Theater systems?
Jon

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, yes. Especially The Postman Always Rings Twice.

John Garfield is just another example of a super star from yesterday that has fallen through the cracks. Most youngsters in today's studios will say, "Who is John Garfield?"

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Unfortunately, it seems not just to be "youngsters," but anyone who came of age after Garfield's death. My parents and my friends' parents were born several years before Garfield passed away, but were too young to have seen his films, and don't know who he was.
My theory is that Garfield's blacklisting lasted beyond his death. I don't have much proof, but I don't think his films were shown much on tv or in repetory houses in the years after his death. Thanks to TCM, we see more of them now, but there are many I've been waiting years to see.
I think it's constructive to look at Bogart for some comparison. Both were Warner Bros. players who became stars around the same time in similar fare and as tough guys. Bogart ended up with more bonafide hits while at Warner, played the studio game more wisely than Garfield, and wasn't blacklisted like Garfield. He lived a few years longer and made some of his most lasting films in the 50s when Garfield was already gone. The Bogey cult began in France with his iconic presence in Breathless and the subsequent repetory screenings spread over the Atlantic back to the states and college campuses of the 60s.
This never happened for Garfield perhaps because he died too early, didn't have quite as many classics in his oeuvre, most of his films were a bit too dark for mass consumption, and the taint of the Blacklist stayed with him in death. But, I think he very well could've been the tough guy Belmondo worshipped.
I think by now he deserves to be embraced by more than just a small circle of film enthusiasts. Perhaps it will take a campaign by someone like Scorsese, who idolizes Force of Evil, or...more films available for home viewing on DVD. The classics like Force of Evil, The Postman Always Rings Twice, Four Daughters, and The Sea Wolf should be out there. The forgotten classics like Pride of the Marines, He Ran All the Way, and The Breaking Point are perhaps most significant.
Garfield was way ahead of his time in terms of performance and producing films outside the studio system. He was the first actor to have his own production company and have a successful, productive go at it. He is the link between the golden age stars and Brando and the method movement that would follow. When will he have his due?
Jon

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
After that rant, I still managed to forget something. :b
I think Force of Evil may be Artisan's. Republic released the VHS versions I've seen and Republic is now part of Artisan. They've put Body and Soul out, maybe we'll see Force of Evil yet. Has anyone seen the Body and Soul disc? Is it worth buying? I don't care much that it is barebones, but does it sport a good transfer?
Jon

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A big PROBLEM is the scorn most people hold for any film that isn't color. They simply refuse to consider watching a B&W film. That sort of narrow minded view robs these people & us of a wealth of great cinematic treasures. Hopefully smarter minds at the Studios will see beyond this prejudice. Yes Mr Garfield's filmography is not well enough represented. And a lot of other Star's filmographies are under represented also. Hopefully I won't be dead & gone before I see more great B&W films on DVD.:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Users who are viewing this thread