What's new

Warner late 2017 4k catalog: outstanding (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I would consider re-purchasing the Batman films if Warner would price their 4K releases lower, but at their current pricing levels I'm passing. The others I have no need to buy again.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
I would consider re-purchasing the Batman films if Warner would price their 4K releases lower, but at their current pricing levels I'm passing. The others I have no need to buy again.

I agree. Lionsgate has been very good about releasing catalog titles at an affordable price. The other studios should follow their lead.

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
You can find lower prices internationally early on. And if you can wait some time domestically (USA) too.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Warner's pricing of their 4K/UHD catalog titles is excessive compared to other studios. Unless they lower their pricing I won't be buying many of their 4K/UHD titles in the future.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can find lower prices internationally early on. And if you can wait some time domestically (USA) too.
That hasn't been the case with most of Warner's 4K/UHD titles. Unforgiven is still cost prohibitive compared to other catalog titles released by other studios.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Warner's pricing of their 4K/UHD catalog titles is excessive compared to other studios. Unless they lower their pricing I won't be buying many of their 4K/UHD titles in the future.

Yes, wholeheartedly second that. Bought Unforgiven in 4K because I was desperate to see the major improvements in resolution and was actually, singularly unimpressed with the moderate 'difference' between it and WB's remastered Blu, also included in the packaging. Warner has not been the only one to charge considerably more for their 4K product. As with any new technology, price point will plummet with more availability and market saturation. But honestly, I just wish Hollywood en masse would pick a format, stick with it and release all - or at least - most of their catalog on it, taking time, care and spending the necessary cash on it to give us the 'definitive' version.

Rumblings of 8K already on the horizon, personally, makes me ill. Just like the cancellation of 3D discs and TV's. And the public isn't that gullible anymore. If the industry really wants to know why the public is getting tired of their bait and switch it's because they're waiting, mostly in vain, for their favorites to get released, only to be told 2-4 years into their transitioning from one technology to the next that, hey, something better is coming along the way and we're giving up on what you've already spent your hard earned cash on - retool again...and again...and again. As a die hard lover of technology, and chronic early adopter, even I have begun to say "no thanks". Now, try convincing someone who hasn't surrendered their VHS tapes yet to follow suit. Good luck, folks. No seriously...good luck!!!

Last edited:

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
In addition to Blade Runner and Harry Potter 1-4, great selection of catalog titles indeed. However, no doubt their pricing has to come down a bit. I'll wait for that price drop on these.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
4K UHD doesn’t support 3D, so all of these are 2D releases unless they elect to include the 3D Blu-Ray, which isn’t likely.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Law of diminishing returns at work here. I don't expect 8K to be noticeably different from 4K. None of the 4K releases has made me want to upgrade my equipment now rather than as a replacement in due course. If some favourite pre-1960 films were to be released I might bring things forward but see little likelihood of that at the moment.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
So far i have upgraded from vhs to laserdisc to dvd to blu-ray and each time there was a noticeable improvement in picture quality but is there a noticeable improvement from blu-ray to 4K UHD? Saw a nice new Sony XBR49X900E tv but i do like my current 3 year old Sony 2K tv so maybe i might wait and enjoy what i have now?

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
So far i have upgraded from vhs to laserdisc to dvd to blu-ray and each time there was a noticeable improvement in picture quality but is there a noticeable improvement from blu-ray to 4K UHD? Saw a nice new Sony XBR49X900E tv but i do like my current 3 year old Sony 2K tv so maybe i might wait and enjoy what i have now?

My answer is yes depending on how much work they put into the discs. Some of the last releases are eye popping. In all cases I look at the whole package not just resolution. You get 10bit color (64m) vs 8bit color (16m) which helps with banding, and better more defined picture when combined with higher resolution. You have HDR which helps with all sorts of things but improves brights and contrast. Every disc has been better then its Blu-ray counterpart maybe subtle in some cases but in others night and day. Just watch Life, Power Rangers, Lucy, The Martian, Sicairo, John Wick 2 or Planet Earth 2... The only disc out of the 112 4K discs I have that disappointed me was Oblivion. Then you combine that with Atmos/DTS:X and you have the best home theater experience available today or ever. It will knock your socks off and will be like watching movies for the very first time again.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It wasn't until I actually got my LG OLED in my house as a replacement for my Panny VT that I realized the improvement from Blu-ray to 4K/UHD. It might not be as much from DVD to Blu-ray, but it's not that far off.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thanks for your input Robert & David so my next tv for sure will be a Sony 4K but will wait for the price on the model I want to get comes down and right now all the stores have that 49" at $1,099.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I’m in the camp that believes that you currently really need an OLED 4K TV to get the maximum benefit from 4K/UHD. And since I’m more into projectors, it may be awhile for me before I get into the format.

For example, we’re only just now starting to see some affordable pseudo 4K projectors hit the market; but none of these can properly handle HDR and/or DolbyVision.

But I have been slowly upgrading my equipment to handle 4K. I recently purchased a Denon 4K compatible A/V Receiver and I have the new Oppo on the agenda for late Fall. So when I can purchase a true 4K pj with both HDR and DV for an affordable price I’ll be all ready to go!

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
Warner has more classic films under its control than any other studio or IP owner.

While the list is impressive, it does not include a single film that I would be interested in buying in 4K. These films are simply not classics in the sense of Citizen Kane, Ben-hur (1959), Singin' in The Rain, etc.

Sony is releasing The Bridge on the River Kwai soon. That is a certifiable classic. Thank you Sony.

Warner has more classics than Sony, so let's see some action.

DavidMiller

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Miller
I’m in the camp that believes that you currently really need an OLED 4K TV to get the maximum benefit from 4K/UHD. And since I’m more into projectors, it may be awhile for me before I get into the format.

For example, we’re only just now starting to see some affordable pseudo 4K projectors hit the market; but none of these can properly handle HDR and/or DolbyVision.

But I have been slowly upgrading my equipment to handle 4K. I recently purchased a Denon 4K compatible A/V Receiver and I have the new Oppo on the agenda for late Fall. So when I can purchase a true 4K pj with both HDR and DV for an affordable price I’ll be all ready to go!

Well OLED 4K TVs are nice I'm not completely convinced that they are that much better. There are pros and cons with each make, heck model of TV in the 4K world. If you buy an 85"-86" 4K non-OLED TV I think you might be surprised how good it is, after calibration even more so. That aside....

I really don't think we will ever see really good 4K / HDR / Dolby Vision projectors, little alone cheap. My understanding is even the "real" Sony projectors can only achieve 50-100 Nits. When displaying HDR/Dolby Vision you want a minimum of 500 Nits but really want something in the 1000 Nit range. I just don't think the current technology in the home theater market can do it or will be doing it. Honestly, I think this is hurting 4K adoption. If you where able to go out and buy a smoking 4K/HDR10 projector for $1000-$1500... 4K sales would be through the roof...

Michel_Hafner

Screenwriter
If you where able to go out and buy a smoking 4K/HDR10 projector for $1000-$1500... 4K sales would be through the roof...
The projector market is a small fraction of the whole market of viewing devices so it is not decisive for the success or failure of 4K discs. Projectors will never do 1000 nits but video walls can and will at affordable costs in some years (Cledis etc.). They will replace projectors to a large degree if not completely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks