Warner Is Supporting UMD (and Blue Ray)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Dave Scarpa, Oct 7, 2005.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
  2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    finally!
    maybe now we can expect Charlie & Chocolate Factory and Batman Begins

3. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if they'll start releasing day-and-date with DVD. Cool to see The Matrix among the title.

4. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

Excellent movie choices, although I'd take out Constantine and put in Charlie & the Chocolate Factory instead.

5. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I doubt we'll get Day and date in the states, they probably will in Japan as they have'nt formally made the announcement here yet. I'm guessing we'll see the first batch of releases in Nov/Dec. I don't know what it is about the UMD format, I guess I'm as starry eyed as the public my head should be saying no to them but I find myself buying them when I head out to the store. Picked Up The Warriors last night. They're addictive and I'm not sure why. But they've certainly become a succesfull format.

6. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Wow, thats great news! Cant wait till Warner opens their back catalog to UMD.

7. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

Batman Begins is listed in next week's Target flyer; the DVD and UMD are the same price.

8. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Are you sure about this ? I did'nt expect to see the Warner UMD's that quickly

9. Ken Chui

I haven't seen the actual flyer, but the individual who regularly posts DVD and game prices a few days in advance (on another forum) has identified the UMD release along with the DVD; both are priced at $16.99 each. I found it unusual that Target would list this, when Best Buy and Circuit City don't have a listing for it on their websites.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I would'nt expect to see Warner titles until at least November, it may be a misprint

11. Ken Chui

I'm inclined to agree. It won't be the first time that a retailer advertised an item that was actually scheduled for a later release date, and retractions are posted at B&M locations. It would be a pleasant surprise if it did materialise next week, but the realist in me says otherwise. [​IMG]

12. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I think I figured it out. The UMD release of Batman: The Movie (Adam West/1966) is on the same day as the release of the Batman Begins DVD.

13. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

Ah, thats right! Makes sense now.

I wonder how long it takes for a UMD to go into production and be ready?

14. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

It's official now, the online stores are now listing Warner Bros UMDs, most release dates are 12/20 and most retail at what is becoming the standard $29.99
    Batman Begins, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Constantine, Dukes of Hazzard, Enter the Dragon, House of Wax, Matrix, and Terminator 3.

15. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well good new I guess but that means they will be a $19.99 list in stores and that really is too much. I recently got the 2 Disk deluxe Batman Begins for 16.99. I had the opportunity to use an Archos 500 and the screen is so good on that I ripped Batman to it in xvid format and the image was as good as any UMD I had. Now Archos is coming out with a Gmini 500 which will be around $350 for a 40gig version. A Good option for movies and you can rip what you already own.