What's new

Warner Instant is Dropping Titles (1 Viewer)

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I recently noticed that titles are disappearing off of the Warner Archive Instant streaming site. Titles like WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, THE MASK OF FU MANCHU, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and some others are gone.

Yes, DVD's exist for these films and I have them all, but it was nice to be able to watch them in HD. Piped through my projector they looked great. And since the vast majority of films on the site will never make their way to Blu-ray, it was nice having them available in HD.

I guess one shouldn't count on a film favorite always being available on Warner Instant. Titles will randomly vanish.

Here's hoping that stops really soon!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eastmancolor said:
I recently noticed that titles are disappearing off of the Warner Archive Instant streaming site. Titles like WILD BOYS OF THE ROAD, FOOTLIGHT PARADE, THE MASK OF FU MANCHU, MARK OF THE VAMPIRE and some others are gone.

Yes, DVD's exist for these films and I have them all, but it was nice to be able to watch them in HD. Piped through my projector they looked great. And since the vast majority of films on the site will never make their way to Blu-ray, it was nice having them available in HD.

I guess one shouldn't count on a film favorite always being available on Warner Instant. Titles will randomly vanish.

I'm not surprise by that as I expect more titles to appear to take those titles spot.

By the way, I just noticed that Mighty Joe Young and Son of Kong in HD are available to stream.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Titles rotate in and out every few months. Like the film, buy a copy.This simple fact remains... Rental Streaming doesn't replace a good purchased (digital or physical) film collection.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
But why do films have to be removed at all.

Once they've been prepared for streaming, what reason is there for taking them away?

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Dropping titles...that is very disheartening. I was really hoping they would continue to add and not delete any! Also "THE NAKED AND THE DEAD" streaming is a terrible non anamorphic transfer with the terrible sound. REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE is the full color version instead of the DVD which has the "golden" color tones of the original and DVD.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
Towergrove, as I noted in my initial post, I HAVE bought these titles on DVD in the past. I prefer owning physical discs, I have thousands of discs. The WB Instant site has many of the films in HD, however. Physical discs for the vast majority of the titles are standard def. That's why I'm upset when a title is pulled. Sure I can still watch a SD disc (provided one exists) but I wanted to be able to see the films in HD as well.And with my high speed hard wired Internet connection and Roku player being piped thru my digital projector, the picture quality is beautiful on most of the HD titles.I just wish we could count on the films being there. Why must WB rotate out titles? They own them all so it's not a rights issue.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Weicker said:
But why do films have to be removed at all.

Once they've been prepared for streaming, what reason is there for taking them away?
I don't know, only Warner can answer that question.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
That's why i buy DVDs and BDs of films I know I will want to watch again and again. Trust no one and count the cards.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don't think it's Warner's intention to accumulate their entire library onto Warner Arcive Instant, but rather for it to be a boutique of lesser-known titles in rotation.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Mark-P said:
I don't think it's Warner's intention to accumulate their entire library onto Warner Arcive Instant, but rather for it to be a boutique of lesser-known titles in rotation.
Yes it was mentioned in interviews with Warner in the past that titles would rotate out. Its so the service stays fresh. I would like foe them to keep everything on there but it not gonna happen.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its the same model as Amazon Prime or any of the premium channels like HBOGO . Streaming movies are here today and gone tomorrow. I am not exactly sure how streaming works but could it be a storage problem, where they only have so much space or hard drive . to store what they are streaming. It would be better if they let you know in advance how long a title would be available. I am sure that some that are removed will eventually come back. That does happen with Amazon Prime. If the Warner streaming serice has a customer service e-mail you could request they return a favorite movie that they removed or add the request to their Facebook wall.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I disagree with that Gary. If a title is available for purchase digitally it should always be available for purchase. They can rotate stuff in and out of the streaming catalogs all they want but if a customer is looking to pay cash money for a purchase of a digital title that was ever available and its not there I say that's encouraging them to go pirate it.

MattPriceTime

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Price
eh i can't really condone that. I know when i was young i wanted to be a Zorro or a Scarlet Pimpernel (okay perhaps i still do) where when you don't get what you want, you are being "encouraged" to rise above and do things to right the wrongs....but to me part of that doesn't hold up when you grow up.

The companies have the right to chose their distribution. Just because i don't like it (in this case though it hardly bothers me), i don't really feel this is encouraging me to commit a crime. If anything i'm encouraged either to study their business practices or to wait and hope for change. I can't really agree that just because it is available illegally ,and if not legally, that i'm encouraged to get the illegal version. It's still a crime and a movie is certainly not a big enough care for me to see it as anything other than an "oh well, i'll live"

P

Patrick Donahue

That's just the business model of the service, which is told to you up front. Titles are rotated in and out because if you could see every title in the Warner catalog for only $9.99/month you probably wouldn't purchase anything from them.

I also disagree with this somehow being a victory for physical media. Streaming subscriptions and physical discs are two completely different businesses, with their own advantages and disadvantages, not to mention their own markets.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
MattPriceTime said:
eh i can't really condone that. I know when i was young i wanted to be a Zorro or a Scarlet Pimpernel (okay perhaps i still do)
I was wondering about that headgear.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Eastmancolor said:

By the way, Warner Instant Archive has an app in which you could view which titles are "Leaving Soon".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks