What's new

Warner HV believes(?!!) families prefer P&S, (DESPITE)... (1 Viewer)

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Even when reading my hometown paper, the StarTribune, I cannot find refuge from the P&S legions. In this case, I read what I thought was a relatively benign article on the new release of Harry Potter, only to be broadsided by a WHV's executive's statement of indoctrination.
"The Sorcerer's Stone" DVD ($26.99) is available in two editions -- widescreen (the version topping Amazon.com's sales chart) and full-screen, which WHV believes families prefer, Hemstreet said. The full-screen-only VHS ($24.99) doesn't have the interactive features of the DVD, of course, but it does contain two deleted scenes.
The full article can be found here:
Star Tribune
Hemstreet is the executive who oversees and produces special features for Warner DVDs.
So...for those who still don't believe the studios have launched a major campaign to promote P&S, this statement should dispel any thoughts of fair play. There are two points that address this issue, one more explicit than the other, but both pointing to the insidious nature of the studios' efforts.
First, despite Amazon's stats which indicate that widescreen outsells P&S, the studio's seem to turn a blind eye and want to promote P&S. My feeling is that the studio's, like WHV, really intend to milk P&S for all its worth, until widescreen tv's find greater market penetration. Think of the lightbulb...manufacturers won't build inexpensive, long-lasting light bulbs since it will cannibalize repeat sales.
Regardless of what studio reps have been saying, these companies are not in business of altruism. Instead, the studios need to find different revenue avenues. Market the hell out of P&S, while relegating OAR to the fringe market (via higher pricing and few/non-availability).
Not so explicit in the final paragraph is the mention of the deleted scenes, exclusive to P&S VHS. It should not be so difficult to see that Warner's attempt is to push the special nature of their P&S tape, at the expense of OAR dvd's.
There is a dual-effort found here - link the special feature of deleted scenes to only the P&S crowds and those who still buy tapes. This supports the idea that the studios know how to keep afloat an antediluvian technology and mindset. All to benefit their bottom line, not to better or inform the consumer.
Make no mistake...this is not merely a campaign built to cater to the still predominant, but quickly diminishing VHS tape and P&S public. Instead, the studio's have long since determined that they need to wage a war against OAR DVD's to prevent the slip of their major cash cow - VHS and the ignorant customer. Hence, Hemstreet's SPIN - why hurry the onset of the demise of P&S VHS when our numbers still show that the public is clamoring for VHS?
If anyone still believes that the studios are in business to educate and improve the lifestyle of the public, let us all support them and start making 'charitable contributions' to their bottome line. Campaign to promote VHS? No. It's a full-fledged war to sustain the viability of their major cash cow.
Statements like from Hemstreet are the first, in what looks to be many battle cries to squelch the voices of technological advancement and creative integrity. The studios have learned a major lesson from the tape to cd digital evolution. They will not let the same happen to them.

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Peter- It may be just me, but I don't share your alarm at the article you quoted. Warner clearly DOES believe that "families prefer fullframe", so quoting Mr. Hemstreet is accurately reporting Warner's take on the situation. I don't see any effort to stifle widescreen. If anything, the statement that widescreen is outselling fullframe may be an implied questioning of Mr. Hemstreet's statement. After all, widescreen would not be outselling fullframe (at Amazon or anywhere else) if in fact families do prefer fullframe. So citing the fact that widescreen is outselling fullframe may be an implied "take it (Hemstreet's statement) with a grain of salt" warning. Even if not, I fail to see any vast fullframe conspiracy at work here.

Steve K.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I wrote the article.

Not so explicit in the final paragraph is the mention of the deleted scenes, exclusive to P&S VHS. It should not be so difficult to see that Warner's attempt is to push the special nature of their P&S tape, at the expense of OAR dvd's.
You didn't read the earlier part of the article closely. It notes that the DVD has *7* deleted scenes, while the VHS has only *2* scenes. They are not exclusive to the VHS. I gave the VHS the coverage it deserved--not much, at the end of the article and noting how it was inferior to the DVD.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
So citing the fact that widescreen is outselling fullframe may be an implied "take it (Hemstreet's statement) with a grain of salt" warning.
That clearly was a belief of WHV/Paul Hemstreet, so I was careful to attribute it--and juxtapose it--accordingly.

Marc_E

Supporting Actor
I went to CC today to purchase a few titles and overheard another reason why P&S shit is bought so much 'it comes in widescreen and fullscreen''What's the difference?''widescreen has the black lines on the top and bottom and fullscreen fills the screen'.

No friggin mention about the fact that in order to fill the screen you lop ~25%-33% of the image off and change the friggin film!

Customers answer'that'll be fine (indicating the fullscreen)'

Marc

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
No friggin mention about the fact that in order to fill the screen you lop ~25%-33% of the image off
For much of Harry Potter, exactly the opposite is true, as the widescreen version "lops off" much of the exposed negative. But as long as we continue to misinform people by claiming that OAR has the benefit of always "showing more," we shouldn't be surprised when they get confused when they see a matted 1.85:1 or a 2.4:1 Super35 film which is exactly the opposite. OAR should be about seeing the "correct" image, not "more." Is it any wonder that a bewildered public doesn't jump for joy when presented with the "widescreen gives you more" argument?
DJ

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Damin, I think you're giving the vast majority of the "4:3 is better" buying public way too much credit. I doubt many even notice the difference between full frame and P&S. All they know is that they hate those widescreen movies because their screens aren't filled with image.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I doubt many even notice the difference between full frame and P&S. All they know is that they hate those widescreen movies because their screens aren't filled with image.
Presumably, however, they look for differences once they've been presented with a "widescreen gives you more" argument (e.g., there have been threads here about handing out business cards with screenshots, talking to people in stores, etc.).

DJ

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
That clearly was a belief of WHV/Paul Hemstreet, so I was careful to attribute it--and juxtapose it--accordingly.
And at the same time, the belief takes on a prominence because of his status. He's not Joe Q. Public, but instead a studio executive. His word carries more weight, whether it's sincere or disingenuous.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Again, I emphasize the notion that the studios are not intent on killing their current cash cow.
I'm not sure what you've been reading lately, but the "current cash cow" of the studios is DVD. They might not care to promote OAR very much, but the DVD format is one that they are still ecstatic about, even with piracy problems. It has greatly expanded the sell-through market and brings technology one step closer to direct delivery.

DJ

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Excuse me? I seriously suggest toning down the level of discussion here before we end up in a locked thread. I don't appreciate it and I doubt the mods would, either.
Your indignation is hypocritical. It was you who introduced an insulting tone by inferring a paranoia on my part. I suggest you redirect your advice to self-introspection, based on your own statements. I don't appreciate your statement, yet I left it alone.

I find it comical that you find a need to attack and act as a quasi-mod.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
I went to CC today to purchase a few titles and overheard another reason why P&S shit is bought so much 'it comes in widescreen and fullscreen''What's the difference?''widescreen has the black lines on the top and bottom and fullscreen fills the screen'.
I was at Compusa today and had the opportunity to be a Widescreen Advocate. A lady asked me why I was looking through the discs instead of just taking one. I told her I was looking for a widescreen version. She asked what the difference was so I told her Fullscreen would make her lose 30% of the picture. She said, "Oh, I don't want this then!" And put her standard copy away and headed to Best Buy at my recommendation.
When a Compusa employee asked me who I thought I was sending their customers away I told them "In the future, you might want to purchase more copies of widescreen discs." And walked out with about a dozen other people in tow. :)

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Your indignation is hypocritical. It was you who introduced an insulting tone by inferring a paranoia on my part. I suggest you redirect your advice to self-introspection, based on your own statements. I don't appreciate your statement, yet I left it alone.

I find it comical that you find a need to attack and act as a quasi-mod.
Given your apparent desire to escalate personal attacks, I'll keep quiet until there's some actual content to reply to.

DJ

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Come on. This kind of OAR paranoia is getting a bit out of hand.
Yours was the 1st response to my comments. Your sentiment of keeping quiet would have been far more effective if kept in mind prior to writing your first comment and subsequently untracking this thread.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
She asked what the difference was so I told her Fullscreen would make her lose 30% of the picture. She said, "Oh, I don't want this then!" And put her standard copy away and headed to Best Buy at my recommendation.
Unbelievable, isn't it? Simple, quick education and the consumer is rewarded with what they really wanted all along.

Bravo, Tony.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

WARNING

This bickering will stop NOW!
Next person that steps out of line will
be removed.
In the future, if you have a problem with
another member, send us a complaint before
verbally lashing out at one another.

Peter Kim

Screenwriter
Infer from this anecdote what you will.

A friend of mine uses the least expensive, Gilette disposable razors. I've asked why he doesn't give the Mach 3 a try.

His response. I'm happy with the razors I'm using. The Mach 3 may be better, but why try them and find out they're better? As long as I don't, I'll still be happy with mine.

steve_jk

Agent
This may be a really stupid question, but
if you only have a fullscreen TV , then would you
still be seeing more of the picture with the fullscreen
version or the widescreen version (i.e. would the 20-30% lopped off still apply?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks