WARNER - How About Surprising Us!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Bevil, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

There are a lot of good classic movie titles locked up in your vault that you acquired from MGM that need to be released to DVD. How about surprising and making many of us happy by releasing them in their OAR!!! :wink:

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'd be surprised if WB surprised us![​IMG]

3. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

To be honest, I would be surprised too. It's really disappointing to see a nice movie on say the Westerns or TCM channels, ie Guns for San Sebastian and Escape From Fort Bravo, and see where they are MGM releases and recognizing that Warner now has them in their vaults - except for an occasional showing on TV. I would love to have them in my dvd collection. I have taped them, of course, but would much prefer to have them on dvd in their proper aspect ratio.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB has openly admitted that many of their catalog titles are in need of remastering and/or restoration.

That said, they're working on a ton of classic films for DVD. Many are even being restored on film, so that's double-great!

5. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Patrick: That sounds great. I'm definitely looking forward to their releasing these classics onto DVD. That being said, I certainly hope they release them in their original aspect ratio. Warner seems to have a track record of releasing a lot of their older films in the "modified to fit your screen" format. When I see that, it goes back on the shelf.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

7. Rain

Rain Producer

8. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I give Warner plenty of credit...

While I'm hoping for stuff like "Fame", "Electric Dreams", "The Hunger", "Strange Brew" and "Who's That Girl?", I'm still excited about titles like "My Favorite Year", "Innerspace" and the "Gremlins" SEs ("Gremlins 2" has 20 minutes of deleted scenes, and that excites me...there's the possibility of more Haviland Morris. Hello, Red-headed chain-smoking Noo-Yawk accented Nurse!).

Warner, you're doing okay...You're on the good foot.

Sincerely,

John "This space for rent...I can't think of a witty quote" Kilduff

9. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Gentlemen, I can assure you I am not "Warner bashing" as regards the OAR. I have seen some titles sitting on the shelf that I recall were Warner labels that were modified to fit your screen. It's just that I tend to look at the "older" titles that happen to be on the Warner label. I can't recall which they were because I didn't buy them. However, of the 200 or so Warner DVD's I own, I could only find one that was modified - My Fellow Americans. And, certainly to Warner's credit, they are one of the few, if not the only studio, that places both a "Standard" and a "Widescreen" version on the same disc. I certainly give them credit for that. My real "beef" has been that there are so many classic titles that I understand Warner acquired from MGM that have not been made available for DVD release, or in some instances, laserdisc release as well. I keep hearing of instances where films are lost forever. I'm hoping that Warner is preserving many of the great westerns before they go into oblivion. And, am hoping that the forecast expressed by Patrick that Warner is getting ready to release many of the classics onto DVD will come through. I'll be near the front of the line to buy a good chunk of them.[​IMG]

10. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Okay, 10 lashes with a wet noodle. I did buy several P&S titles on the Warner label. I went back and "filtered" my Warner Bros titles in DVD Profiler and of the 201 titles, the following were "modified to fit the screen":

The Great Santini
    My Fellow Americans
    Showdown In Little Tokyo
    Forever Young
    Deathtrap
    A Christmas Story
    Cannonball Run II
    Frantic
    Next of Kin

But, I'll have to agree, only 9 out of 201 that are modified to fit the screen can't establish a track record for that lack of OAR. So, I fully agree that Warner does a good job on their releases. Please give us more.:b

11. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Rain, I agree that Warner has been doing spectacular work of late (both quality and quantity of catalog releases), so you'll hear no gripes from me. I was one of the loudest of Warner's detractors for a long time - on this forum and others - but either they heard our pleas and are doing their best to please us, or they were planning all of this restoration/increased dvd release stuff all along and simply refused to give anyone the slightest hint of it (and thus producing very angry and frustrated collectors). Either way, they are now delivering.

12. Rain

Rain Producer

And, Larry, weren't all of the titles you mentioned released 4-5 years ago? [​IMG]

13. Bruce Morrison

Bruce Morrison Supporting Actor

Yes I agree that Warners are showing encouraging signs of addressing their large back calatog, and I'm certainly pleased that they are obviously taking the trouble to restore their older titles properly. A good example is 'She Wore A Yellow Ribbon' - it looked awful on previous home video releases, but the DVD looks spectacular. I hope they have plans to restore classic movies such as 'Ride The High Country', 'Lust For Life', 'The Fearless Vampire Killers' and 'The Wind And The Lion' before too long. As they have such a large catalog, it seems a pity that they don't emulate Paramount by having a poll on this forum where we can vote on which titles we'd like to see on DVD.

14. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Yes, Rain, the titles I mentioned were released to DVD about 3 to 5 years ago. So, my earlier statement may have been unfair to Warner. I guess where I came up with that is that many of the lower priced DVD's on the shelves at WalMart and Circuit City (that's all the B&M's I have here) were of that vintage and when I picked them up, many had that "modified to fit" statement, so I would put them back in the rack. I agree that all the later releases that I have bought are either widescreen or have both on the disc, which is great. I do buy 95% of my DVD's online and only occasionally shop for DVD's at Walmart and Circuit City. So, my B&M experience may have been skewed. And I'll agree, that once Warner got away from that modified to fit your screen bit, they have done outstanding work.

15. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I'd love to see 2 things from Warners:

1. vintage TV product (Friends and South Park don't cut it for me, I'm afraid)

2. More of the older films (insuring that the original film elements are preserved as well).

16. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'm in accord with you on this point Matthew.[​IMG]