Warner how about releasing these titles on DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Junior_V, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Junior_V

Junior_V Stunt Coordinator

Barbara Stanwyck movies. it's her 100 Birthday next year

Lady of the Night

The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg

The Divorcee

A Free Soul

Private Lives

Smilin' Through

The Barretts of Wimpole Street

Riptide

Idiot's Delight

Escape

Her Cardboard Lover

Du Barry Was a Lady

Thousands Cheer

The Cross of Lorraine

Living in a Big Way

The Three Musketeers

Confidential Agent

Bright Leaf

The Cobweb

North West Frontier

Letty Lynton

Our Dancing Daughters

Paid

Sudden Fear(Restorted & Remasterd)

Torch Song

Beyond the Forest

Payment on Demand

Of Human Bondage(Restorted & Remasterd)

The Catered Affair

Othello(Laurence Olivier)

2. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I really don't think much fuss has to be raised about either WB or Universal. At the rate they're putting out classics, it's only a matter of time.

3. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

I can't quite agree with Patrick as far as it concerns Universal, they're releasing classics here and there, but it's still far less than what Fox is doing, and Warner is doing twice what Fox and Uni are doing combined!

But when it comes to Warner, Patrick's right on. They really KNOW what they're doing, they do a superb job, and nobody does it better.

Mr. Echo Echo: You should know that Warner doesn't own SUDDEN FEAR (a company called DOURIS does, and KINO is their licensee), NORTH WEST FRONTIER is owned by FOX in the U.S.A., and Warner can't distribute LETTY LYNTON due to a famous plaigiariism suit that pulled the film out of public view back in the late '30s.

4. Junior_V

But isin't SUDDEN FEAR an RKO movie?

5. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald

Are you quite sure about this, Roger? While Fox distributed the film to U.S. theaters, under its alternate title, FLAME OVER INDIA, in more recent times, it seems to have become an MGM property. It was bookended by the modern MGM logo when it aired a few years ago on the ENCORE ACTION channel (sporting its NORTH WEST FRONTIER title), and MGM gave it a latter-day VHS release a little after that (possibly as an Amazon.com exclusive). Unless you mean Fox owns it, as it relates to Fox's new distribution deal with MGM.

However it works out, a widescreen NORTH WEST FRONTIER has been on my top five most-wanted R1 DVD list for quite some time now.

6. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I'd jump for joy if the uncensored version of Baby Face (1933) makes it out on DVD this year or next. Hopefully in a Pre-Code Collection.

7. Roger Rollins

I'm in error. I always thought that it was a Fox movie, and didn't realize it was a pick-up, and didn't research this issue before posting my inaccuracy.

Thanks for the correction.

....but it most certainly isn't and never was owned by Warners! [​IMG]

8. Roger Rollins

SUDDEN FEAR was an independently made film which was distributed by RKO.
    I believe the producer was a guy named Joseph Kaufman. Somehow, the late and nefarious Raymond Rohauer got his hands on it, and was his usual practice, kept it out of distribution for years and years. Like most of Rohauer's captive holdings, it wasn't liberated until his death in the '80s. Rohauer's library is now owned by a company called Douris, and they licensed their stuff to Kino Video.

9. Junior_V

I guees I have to get the crappy Kino DVD then =(

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    what does the title of the thread mean? and the other one with the same title

11. Junior_V

When you are in a cave and it is silent and you say something you get an echo aka your voice get repeted.

Those movies that I listed is "silent"(have not been released on DVD)
    I know it is stupid. I could have just have the thread named "should be released on DVD"

Here are more that Warner should release insted of Ronald Reagan & Glenn Ford

All the Crawford/Gable movies
    The Strawberry Blonde
    The Bride Came C.O.D.
    The Oklahoma Kid
    Captains of the Clouds
    A Midsummer Night's Dream
    The Old Maid
    A Stolen Life
    Days of Glory
    The Valley of Decision
    The Great Sinner
    Captain Horatio Hornblower R.N.

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    yea, it's alot easier to find a thread using the search when you have an accurate title.

13. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Junior, you must be a new member to the forum- most of those films have been discussed about many a time over the past few years on this forum. I suggest you check out the transcripts from the 2005 and 2006 chats done with George Feltenstein of Warner Home Video. From what I remember from past forum discussions, expect to see a lot more Crawford films in the future, and even some of Norma Shearer's more popular titles.

14. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

The U.S. Copyright Office indicates that Warners owns "Payment On Demand", yet I don't recall TCM running it (maybe they did and I just didn't notice). I'd have to assume this is accurate ownership information, but it doesn't explain why the film has become such a viewing rarity. Are there competing claims for these rights?

http://www.greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

15. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Payment on Demand was an RKO production, and therefore is part of the vast Warner-Turner library. I have heard that this film and Beyond The Forest may be caught up in separate rights claims.

16. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Warners controls three vast catalogs of classic films. Not everything they put out is going to interest you. But saying they should release films that interest you instead of those that don't is silly.

Personally I'd rather have John Garfield and Ginger Rogers Signature Collections before Reagan or another Crawford set, but I'm not going to begrudge the people who have different tastes.

17. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

With Warners you know they are going to put out a quality product. Films from the 30's and 40's need restoration in order to look great on DVD.
    I believe from the chats Warner works 2 years in the future, meaning from the time they decide to release something it takes that long to get it ready for release. Many of the films you mention may be in production.
    Be patient.

I wonder when the precode box we have been hearing about will be announced

18. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

i hope that there aren't only 3 movies in the pre-code set. they only mentioned baby face, waterloo bridge, and red-headed woman, but i remember in the 2005 HTF chat, GF said that the pre-code set was going to be big (as in a lot of movies).

19. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

we may be getting a lot of stanwyck films, since GF said that they were considering film sets for her. The Student prince may be one of the silents that WB is working on when they mentioned releasing some of Shearer's silents. It;ll only be a matter of time that we'll get all of Bette Davis' films on dvd. They're already readying up V3 & V4, but Of Human Bondage isn't owned by WB. Whoever distributes the Goldwyn catalog does. I would love to see the 1946 version with Eleanor Parker, too.

20. Corey

Corey Screenwriter

Some of my wants
    -The White Cliffs of Dover
    -The Human Comedy
    -the rest of the Garbo catalog
    -Blossoms in the Dust
    -Hepburn and Tracy V2 along with a SE of Woman of the Year and the other films in keepcases.
    -A Guy Named Joe
    -The Big House
    -Min and Bill
    -The Sin of Madeline Claudet
    -Viva Villa!
    -Ah, Wilderness
    -The Barretts of Wimpole St. (1934 & 1957)
    -Test Pilot
    -Everybody Sing
    -When Ladies Meet (1933 & 1941)
    -The Citadel