What's new

Warner Home Video Tom & Jerry Replacement Program (UPDATE 1/30/07 POST #134) (1 Viewer)

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Okay folks, I just finished going over the new Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 2 discs I received from Warner. I literally did a line-by-line comparison between both versions of the discs, and these ARE corrected — they absolutely 100% contain the original uncensored soundtracks!

First things first.

TroyDavis:
The file sizes and dates you posted absolutely correspond to the copies I received. Therefore, if your disc contains the December 2005 VOB files, you should have the corrected soundtracks.

Another likely easier way of determining this is to look at the pressing codes located around the center ring of the DVD.

Remastered Disc Pressing Codes (10.2006):Disc One:7Y 67324V4.1.A VA03IFPI L906
7Y 67324V4.1.B VC01IFPI L908Disc Two:7Y 67324V3.2.A VC01IFPI L907
7Y 67324V3.2.B VC01IFPI L908
Original Release Pressing Codes (10.2005):Disc One:7Y 67324V3.1.A VB01IFPI L907
7Y 67324V3.1.B VB02IFPI L907Disc Two:7Y 67324V2.2.A VB01IFPI L908
7Y 67324V2.2.B VC02IFPI L908

Tory:

Quote:

…feature the voice of Lillian Roth

FYI, the actress who voiced Mammy Two-Shoes was Lillian Randolph, not Lillian Roth. Ack… never mind. I just noticed that you already fixed this yourself.

Remastered DVD Report:

Okay, now as for the remastered DVDs themselves…

For those of you who may just be joining us here, here's what's up. On the original DVD edtiion of Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 2 (released 10.25.2005), four of the Mammy Two-Shoes shorts were erroneously mastered using the incorrect dialogue tracks:
  • The Lonesome Mouse
    Polka-Dot Puss
    Saturday Evening Puss
    Nit-Witty Kitty
Instead of featuring the original audio track recorded by actress Lillian Randolph, these four shorts featured dialogue tracks re-recorded in the 1960s by actress June Foray (or in the case of one of the shorts, a combination of both… sorta).

Uh… whoops.

Warner Home Video implemented a disc replacement program on 07.06.2006, and consumers finally begun receiving their remastered copies beginning 10.19.2006.

As I stated earlier, I have thoroughly gone over all four shorts on the remastered discs, and checked all the dialogue, and I am happy to report that all the soundtracks are now completely uncut and unedited. Woo-hoo.

Here's a complete rundown of all four cartoons, detailing the problems on the original October 2005 release, as well as a comparison of both dialogue tracks, what Warner did right, and what they did wrong. Oh, and one thing to remember on the dialogue comparisons — even though many of the lines may appear similar, remember that each was originally recorded using a different voice stereotype.

Color Legend:
Blue = Original Lillian Randolph dialogue tracks
Red = Rerecorded June Foray dialogue tracks

The Lonesome Mouse — Disc One / FIXED!
On the original DVD pressing, June Foray's voice was heard during a majority of this short, except for two short moments where Lillian Randolph's voice was retained. The remastered pressing completely reinstates Randolph's voice for the entire short.
3:00 - 3:23 (Foray):(Singing) "I lacks New York in June, Howse about you? I lacks a Gershwin tune, Da-da-da-da. I lacks a fireside, Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm. I lacks potato chips, pork chops and motor trips, Howse about… Ow!"

(Singing) "I like New York in June, How about you? I like a Gershwin tune, Da-da-da. I like a fireside, Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm. I like potato chips, apples and motor trips, How about… Ow!"
4:00 - 4:04 (Foray):"Thomas! Get in here and save me!" (Frightened voice)
"Thomas! Get in here and save me!" (Angry voice)
4:33 - 4:35 (Randolph):"Whoop-whoop-whoo-whoo!"
"Whoop-whoop-whoo-whoo!"

5:24 - 5:27 (Randolph):"Ow! Ooh! Ow! Ow! Ow!"
"Ow! Ooh! Ow! Ow! Ow!"

6:17 - 6:19 new / 6:18 - 6:20 old (Foray):"Chase him in here, Thomas!"
"Chase him in here, Thomas!"

6:46 - 6:52 (Foray):"Hold him, Thomas! Don't let him get away! Hhh… Did I get him?"
"Hold him, down, Thomas! Don't let him get away! Did I get him?"

7:21 - 7:33 (Foray):"*Chuckles* Yes sir, Thomas, you is a hero. Here's a reeward for gettin' rid of that mouse. *Chuckles* Boy, you sure is a mouse-catcher."

"*Chuckles* Yes, Thomas, you are a hero. Here's a reward for getting rid of that mouse. Oh… You sure are a mouse-catcher. *Chuckles*"

Polka-Dot Puss — Disc One / FIXED!
On the original DVD pressing, Foray's dialogue completely replaced Randolph's. Once again, Randolph's original dialogue has been completely reinstated on the remastered pressing.
0:34 - 1:03:"Thomas! Oh, Thomas! Oh, here you is. Well, come on, Tom. It's time you was put out for da night. Thomas! Hurry up and get on outside! Man, thinks if I stands here in an open door like dis I'm gonna catch my death of cold."

"Thomas! Oh, Thomas! Oh, here you are. Well, come on, Tom. It's time you were put out for the night. Thomas! Hurry up and get outside! My goodness! If I stand here in an open door like this I'm gonna catch my death of cold!"

1:15 - 1:19:"Why, Thomas! Is you catchin' a cold?"
"Why, Thomas! Are you catching a cold?"

1:26 - 2:01:"Why you po' little thing. I better let you stay inside the house tonight. Yes, sir! If youse got a cold, you better curl up here by the fire. Youse tellin' the truth about the cold, ain't you? If I thought you wasn't tellin' the truth, I'd wash out your mouth with soap! Well, good night."

"Why you poor little thing. I better let you stay inside the house tonight. Yes, sir! If you got a cold you better curl up here by the fire. You're tellin' the truth 'bout that cold, aren't you? If I thought you weren't telling the truth, I'd wash your mouth out with soap! Well, good night."

Saturday Evening Puss — Disc Two / FIXED!
Here we had another case of Foray's dialogue completely replacing Randolph's once the original DVD pressing. And… surprise… the remastered pressing again properly reinstates all the original Randolph dialogue.

Whew… man, this short had a ton of dialogue replacement done to it…
htf_images_smilies_laugh.gif

5:42 - 5:43:"Thomas!
"Thomas!

5:54 - 6:09:"Doggone cats, mess up my whole evenin'. Well, might as well relax and play myself a little soft, soothing …hot music!"

"Doggone cats, messing up my whole evening. Well, might as well relax and play a little soft, soothing… hot… music!"

Nit-Witty Kitty — Disc Two / FIXED!
On the original DVD pressing, here we have another short that clearly contains June Foray's re-recorded dialogue tracks. In addition, this censored version of the short is also completely missing some dialogue. Toward the end of the short, as Mammy sneaks up on Tom to whack him upside the head with a broom to cure him of his amnesia, she has a few choice words to say — in fact, two full lines of dialogue worth. All completely omitted from the censored soundtrack version of the short. This section of dialogue is even missing from the Spanish-language soundtrack. However, even though her dialogue was cut, Scott Bradley's original musical underscoring remains intact. Further, since this section of the short apparently had no dialogue, the missing lines also do not appear on any of the subtitle or CC tracks.

Thankfully, the remastered DVD pressing restores all of Randolph's dialogue , including the two previously-missing lines. However, Warner did bungle a couple of things here with this short, both with regarding to those two reinstated lines of dialogue. First, the Spanish-language soundtrack is still missing the original Spanish equivalent of that dialogue. But more importantly, the forgot to FIX THE SUBTITLES STREAMS — that's right, the English, French, Spanish subtitles as well as the Closed-Caption track are still missing two full lines of dialogue. D-oh! :thumbsdown:=:angry: Good thing I'm not deaf yet… or at least, not in my right ear… yet. *Sigh*
0:26 - 0:34:"Over here, Tom. Chase him over here. Get him around here , Tom. Not that way, this way. Once more now, Tom. I'll get him."

"Over here, Tom. Chase him over here. Get him around here , Tom. Not that way, this way. Once more, Tom. I'll get him!"

0:51 - 1:06:"Thomas… what's the matter with you? What's come over you? Don't act like that. Get away from me, Thomas! Thomas… shoo… go away! Thomas, dooooooon'!"

"Thomas, what's the matter with you? What's come over you? Don't act like that. Get away from me, Thomas. Thomas! Shoo! Go away! Thomas, dooooooon't!"

2:00 - 2:26 new / 1:59 - 2:27 old:"Yes, Doctor. Dat's right, Doctor. He's actin' jes like a mouse. Uh-huh… he's even eatin' cheese. He got what? Aa-amnesia? Is dat bad, doctor? Never mind, hare he come! Get away from here, you, you old amnesia! Don't…!"

"Doctor, that's right. Doctor, he's actin' just like a mouse. Uh-huh… He's even eatin' cheese. He's got what? Amnesia? Is that bad, doctor? Never mind, here he comes! Get away from here, you, get… Get away you old…amnesia! Tch…"

5:51 - 6:02:"It say here a sharp blow on de head is a sure cure for amnesia. And dat what you gonna git."

No June Foray equivalent — this is the dialogue missing from the original DVD pressing, the Spanish-language tracks, all the subtitles tracks, and the CC track.

"Errors" on the Original Pressing Still Present on the Remastered Version:

Puss Gets the Boot — Disc One / NOT FIXED (and unlikely to be)
On both the original and remastered DVD pressings, this Mammy Two-Shoes short contains its the original uncensored Lillian Randolph soundtrack.

So what's the "problem"?

Well, if you listen to the Earl Kress & Nicole Parker commentary, you can clearly hear June Foray's voice speaking in the background as Mammy. Whoops! Someone obviously mistakenly provided/obtained the wrong copy of Puss Gets the Boot to be shown during the commentary recording session.

Now, a few folks out there seem to believe this is a major mistake and wanted it fixed on the remastered pressing. On the other hand, most everyone else either: a) doesn't notice it, or b) like myself, doesn't really care. Whatever.

As I'm sure most of you folks would agree with, it's certainly not worth Warner spending the time and money to re-recorded this entire commentary session just to remove a few lines of background dialogue. Especially when that time and money could better be served towards those Tom and Jerry Spotlight Collection Vol. 1 replacements. Right?

As a little extra for those folks interested, here's another Randolph vs. Foray comparison for this episode. It's pretty cool reading…

Same color key legends apply from up above.
2:29 - 3:08:"Jasper! Jasper! That no-good cat! Just a minute, you good-for-nothin' cheap fur-coat! Now would you just look, just look at that mess you made. Now understand this Jasper, if you breaks one mo' thing, you is goin' owt — O-W-T, owt! Dat's clear, ain't it? One mo' breakin's, and youse goin' out. Now get out of my sight 'fore I gets mad!"

"Jasper! Jasper! That no-good cat. Just a minute, you good-for-nothing, cheap fur coat! Now, would you just look? Just look at that mess you made! Now, understand this, Jasper, if you break one more thing… …you are going out. O-U-T, out! That's clear, isn't it? One more breaking, and you're going out. Now get out of my sight before I get mad!"

3:54 - 3:56:"Any more breakin' and dat cat's goin' outta here!"
"One more breaking, and that cat is going out of here."

7:25 - 7:34:"Jasper! Jasper! Man, you is pract'ly out now!"
"Jasper! Jasper! Man, you are practically out now!"

8:38 - 8:46:"Hmm, hmm… And when I says "ouwt," Jasper, I means ouwt — O-U-W-T, ouwt!"
"Hmm… And when I say "out," Jasper, I mean out. O-U-T, out!"

The Midnight Snack — Disc One / NOT FIXED (and unlikely to be)
Here's another instance where both the original and remastered DVD pressings of this Mammy Two-Shoes short contains the original uncensored Lillian Randolph soundtrack.

So what's the "problem" this round?

Oh — the horror! The bonus "silent" Pencil Sketch Reel for The Midnight Snack uses the June Foray redubbed soundtrack for its audio instead of the Randolph original. Yup, it does, really.

Myself, I consider this a bonus-bonus, in that you get both versions of the soundtrack. But again, a few folks wanted this changed. Myself, I chalk this one down to "money better spent elsewhere" again.

What… oh fine, here's the dialogue comparison:
5:08 - 5:14:"Thomas! Thomas! Hmm… if dat cats in dat kitchen…
"Thomas! Thomas! Hmm… If that cat's been in that kitchen…

5:27 - 5:41:"Hmm… If youse been in dat ice-box, STAAAART PRAYIN'. Aaaaaowaao! Thomas! Thomas! Get in here big boy and get diss mouse!"

"Thomas, if you've been in that icebox, START PRAYIN'! Aaaaaahhhhhh! Thomas! THOMAS! Get in here Thomas and GET - THISSSS - MOOOOOOUSE!"

6:05 - 6:09:"Mans… this heres no place for a lady." (Surprised voice)
"Goodness. This is no place for a lady." (Angry voice!)

8:14 - 8:47:"Thomas? Thomas? Mmm hmm. Man, that mouse sure did get demobilized. Thomas? Get in here tiger-man… …and get yourself a nice big bowl of delicious cream. Thomas! Why, you two-timin', double-crossin', no-good, cheat! Get out! Skat! Go on, you good-for-nothing, moth-eaten mousetrap! Git out, now!"

"Thomas! Thomas! Man, that mouse sure did get demobilized. Thomas, get in here, tiger-man… …and get yourself a nice big bowl of delicious cream. Thomas! Why, you two-timin', double-crossing, no-good, cheating cat! Get out! Scat! Go on, you no-good-for-nothing, moth-eaten mousetrap! Get out! Now!"

Subtitle Errors on All Mammy Two-Shoes Shorts — Discs One & Two / NOT FIXED (and it should have been!)
Now here's what I consider the one "big" error from the original DVD pressing that was not addressed on this remastered edition.

For all the Mammy Two-Shoes shorts, the English & CC subtitle tracks are based upon the rewritten censored Foray dialogue scripts rather than the Randolph originals. That's right… every last Mammy short contains incorrect subtitles.

For those of you familiar with both versions of the shorts — or if you've just read through the dialogue comparisons I've posted above — you'll know that the two scripts, while similar, are also very different. It's hard to believe that Randolph's Mammy would have uttered Foray's written dialogue, or vice versa, that Mammy's original dialogue would fit Foray's reanimated Irish maid footage. These words cannot just simply be interchanged with the opposite characters and be expected to co-exist perfectly — both are products of their own eras, a reflection of a world existing in that specific time and place.

In any event, after all the trouble Warner went through to ensure that the Mammy Two-Shoes shorts were presented in their original uncensored versions (including providing us with this remastered set to correct the soundtrack errors), somebody really screwed up by providing the incorrect scripts for subtitling and CC purposes.

And that, as they say, is that. I've got nothing else to report, plus I have no more feeling in my fingers (er, those that don't already suffer from a full-loss of sensation). But I hope that many of you find the contents of this report useful in some manner or another.

So with that, I'll bid you all farewell.

Regards,

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Good analysis above. I reckon that nobody even thought about correcting the subtitles. Next time something happens like this and we as a community complain enough to get it fixed, we should make sure we have all errors covered. I have also heard tell that the dubbed audio is still present in some commentaries but I have yet to go over the commentaries.

Sorry about the Roth thing, she has been on my mind lately as I have been researching her but I corrected it fairly fast.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I received my discs the other night. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to review them before the end of the week. I'm a little bummed because now I'm forced to buy volume 2 which I had not yet done. I'm still waiting for news on the volume 1 replacement, and since I already have the laserdiscs, I'd rather not spend more money on T&J until I know that we are going to get them completely uncut on DVD.

Please WB, announce something about Vol.1. ....and when you do, please be realistic about the time schedule to get them pressed and released. I think you'll find that people are reasonable as long as they are not kept hanging. There was a lot of cynicism on this board (myself included), but when you repeatedly tell people that the discs will be ready next week you lose a lot of credibility. If it's going to take a year, that's fine with me just tell me that it's going to take a year and I'll write it on my calendar.

Much appreciation to WB for finally correcting this issue, now finish the job. :)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
anyone in Canada get the discs yet? I was one of the people who called a day or so before they got there stuff together, and had the rep call me back, but I haven't seen anything yet.

Joe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe

Russell, I haven't received a thing - I'm in T.O. I called when I found out a few months ago that Warner was giving people an option. They told me they'd send me a return envelope but never received one. I'll try this week again and see what gives.

Joe

Tory

Real Name
Tory
They told me they would send a return envelope first and then ship out the discs but I think something went wrong and they are now just sending out the discs in the envelopes that you are suppose to send your current ones in. I know this is the case under my circumstances.

_william_

Grip
As someone who just bought the set because of this program, I can confirm that current sets have the fixed pressings. So to add to the summary, if you bought your set recently, you may not need the replacements at all; corrected sets are now out there.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

So since I haven't bought my set yet, and now have the replacement discs, I don't need the replacement discs. What an interesting dilemma.

I hope that they fix Volume 1 before Volume 3 is released, because I most definitely will not be buying it until Volume 1 is fixed.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I purchased volume 2 almost a year ago and am finally getting around to replacing the DVDs. Called this morning to get the return envelope for the discs. I also inquired about the first set asking if they are ever going to issue an updated DVD in the future.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I also got sent the discs and a return envelope. It took at least 2 months so if you haven't got yours yet, don't fret. The wheels on things like this turn slow

Tory

Real Name
Tory

You should have bought it first, try buying it used or try deepdiscountdvd. I actually bought the set after the replacement plan was announced and the number was put up. It was not the new discs.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
My set arrived this week from DDD, after being on backorder for months and months and months. I thought for sure that would be a good sign that I'd receive the new pressings with the corrected discs. NOPE! Even with the new batch that came in to DDD, the old discs are still a part of Volume 2. That's just plain pathetic.

Gary "now I've had to call WB and I guess I'll have to wait 6 weeks or more to receive the correct discs" O.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Normally, I would agree with you, but I had already bought volume one in good faith after they announced the plan to replace discs almost 2 years ago. Needless to say the discs still aren't available and as the old saying goes "Fool me once, your fault, fool me twice my fault". I'm no fool.

sarah99

Agent
Real Name
sarah
I would really like to buy this collection, but am waiting until I can be sure of getting the right disks first time round. I was under the impression that the incorrect voice on these DVDs was an unnamed British actress taken from the UK revoiced cartoons (although I may be completely wrong)

For those who are not sure about all the various Tom and Jerry versions, look here
Tom & Jerry Censorship

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Is anybody else still waiting for their replacement discs? I called about 7 weeks ago, still nothing (I'm in Germany, but the recipient lives in San Diego)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Any Canadians get this yet? I'm still waiting and I had my request confirmed when the program started onths ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks