Warner Home Video Press Release: THE BEST OF FRIENDS v.3

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ronald Epstein, Aug 13, 2001.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    THEY'LL ALWAYS BE THERE FOR YOU!
    MORE TOP EPISODES OF THE EMMY-WINNING SERIES
    THE BEST OF FRIENDS
    Volumes 3 and 4
    On DVD And VHS November 20
    BURBANK, CA. (August 13, 2001) -- Warner Home Video (WHV) is bringing more
    favorite moments from TV's Friends to home video, with two more volumes of
    the episodes voted the best by fans and the series' creators. Ten
    additional episodes from the first six seasons of America's #1 comedy
    series, The Best of Friends Vols. 3 & 4, will be available on November 20,
    as single volumes, a two-volume set and a four-volume set (which includes
    the previously released Vols. 1 and 2). The running time for each volume is
    approximately 2 and 1/2 hours.
    The DVD single volumes are $19.98 SRP and the VHS single volumes are $14.95
    SRP. The two-volume gift sets are priced at $34.98 SRP for DVD and $24.98
    SRP for VHS. The four-volume gift set is $69.98 SRP on DVD and $49.98 SRP on
    VHS.
    The two new volumes of The Best Of Friends contain digitally re-mastered and
    expanded versions of each episode featuring exclusive, never-before-seen
    footage. The DVD will also include the behind-the-scenes documentary
    Friends: On the Inside that allows consumers to witness the creation of an
    actual episode of Friends from start to finish.
    The series, Friends, starring Lisa Kudrow (Phoebe), Courtney Cox-Arquette
    (Monica), Jennifer Aniston (Rachel), David Schwimmer (Ross), Matthew Perry
    (Chandler) and Matt
    LeBlanc (Joey), has consistently received top ratings, in both first-run and
    syndication, since
    its debut on September 22, 1994. This year Friends has been nominated for
    five Primetime Emmys including nods for both Jennifer Anniston and Lisa
    Kudrow in the Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series category. During the
    seven years that it has been on the air, Friends has been honored previously
    by the Emmy Awards plus the Golden Globes, the People's Choice Awards, the
    Screen Actors Guild Awards, the American Comedy Awards, the TV Guide Awards,
    the Writers Guild of America and Viewers for Quality Television.
    EPISODE SYNOPSIS:
    The Best Of Friends Vol. 3
    The One With The Blackout: During a blackout in New York City, Chandler is
    locked in an ATM with beautiful supermodel Jill Goodacre. Meanwhile, the
    gang converges on Monica's apartment to tell scary stories and talk about
    sex.
    The One With The Candy Hearts: Joey and Chandler go on a double date, but to
    Chandler's horror, his date is his ex-girlfriend Janice. Meanwhile, Monica,
    Rachel and
    Phoebe have a "bad boyfriend cleansing ritual" which gets out of hand.
    The One Where Ross and Rachel... You Know: Ross and Rachel have their first
    date, but a case of the giggles keeps them from consummating it. Rachel
    plans an intimate dinner, but Ross gets called to the museum and has to work
    late.
    The One With The Football: The gang decides to play a friendly game of
    football, which devolves into a series of personal competitions: Monica and
    Ross over the coveted "Geller Cup", Chandler and Joey over a beautiful
    woman.
    The One That Could Have Been (Part 1 and Part 2): The gang discusses what
    their lives would be like if they had chosen different paths, then go on to
    play out those very divergent roles in one of the more surreal episodes of
    the series.
    The Best Of Friends Vol. 4
    The One With Chandler In A Box: Joey, still upset with Chandler because he
    kissed Kathy, decides to move out. When Chandler offers to make it up to
    him, Joey makes him spend Thanksgiving Day in one of the leftover furniture
    crates.
    The One Hundredth: Phoebe finally delivers Frank Jr.'s triplets, amongst
    chaos at the
    hospital as Rachel tries to set herself and Monica up on a date with two
    male nurses, Joey develops kidney stones and Phoebe ponders motherhood.
    The One With All The Resolutions: It's New Year's Eve and the friends all
    make resolutions, which wind up getting them into trouble. Meanwhile,
    Rachel overhears a phone conversation and discovers Monica and Chandler's
    secret.
    The One Where Ross Got High: Thanksgiving dinner with the Gellers turns
    into a fiasco when Chandler discovers that the reason Monica's parents don't
    like him is because Ross blamed him when his parents caught him smoking pot
    in college.
    The One With The Proposal (Part 1 and Part 2): Chandler tries,
    unsuccessfully to propose to Monica when Richard (Tom Selleck) reenters the
    picture throwing Monica into a quandary over which of the two men to spend
    her life with.
    About Warner Home Video:
    With operations in 78 international territories - more than the video
    division of any other studio - Warner Home Video commands the largest
    distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. WHV's film
    library is the largest of any studio, offering top-quality new and vintage
    titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment
    Company, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Video.

2. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    Am I mistaken in remembering that Warner Bros. realized that we didn't want "Best Of's," and that we did want season by season releases of Friends? Didn't this happen in December, when the first two volumes of "Best Of 'Friends'" came out? Didn't they ask for consumer input, only to see overwhelming support for the season by season approach? Didn't they say that they would begin releasing both Friends and South Park that way eventually?
    If I'm not mistaken, then Warner Bros. has again shown absolute contempt for the consumer. I hope I'm wrong....

3. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Warner needs a new DVD panal! [​IMG]
    South Park, Friends, family/comedy films, all seem to be screwed up by them.
    BUT, I still want to get these.
    With these new ones, I can do a big Friends marathon. Plus the 'Football/Thanksgiving episode' I will have just in time for Thanksgiving.
    ------------------

4. Chris Biggs

Chris Biggs Agent

The digital bits even ran a story on this based upon emails sent to Warner. I believe they said with any luck the first season would be out by the end of this year. Now they've "wonked" us again.

5. John_Witt

John_Witt Auditioning

If this is Warner's attitude, so be it. I can understand they want to line their pockets with repeats and all.
    But couldn't they have at least included the episode with Crazy Eddie, Chandler's temporary roommate when Joey moved out?!? Come on, this has to be a top 20 episode!

6. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

quote:
    -------------
    If I'm not mistaken, then Warner Bros. has again shown absolute contempt for the consumer.
    -------------
    Isnt this the same Warn-uh,-WANKer Bros. who said theyd "...look into..." putting out an uncensored EWS in the new SK box set when released, after the mini-uproar...not to beat a dead horse or anything... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mark_TS on August 14, 2001 at 03:02 PM]

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

8. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

9. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

I kind of like the Friends series. All the characters have their own personalities and make this series continue to last as long as it has. I really think Poebe(spelling?), Joey, and Rachel(looks mostly, but she looked soo much better when the series first started; why does Hollywood insist on starvation?) are the series strong points.
    But, in my oppinion, "Frasier" is a much better series(especially for being a spin-off; it's even better than "Cheers" IMHO). "Everybody Loves Raymond" is another very unique comedy that I enjoy. And, of course, what about "The Simpsons". I remember when people said "that series ain't gonna last another year" in 1992. It used to be the longest running cartoon series, and soon to be upgraded to longest running series. Can't wait to get the Simpson DVDs though.

10. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

You know, I just received the Sopranos: Season 2(HB0) and the 4th Season of South Park and it just infuriates me how studios are treating us with TV sets.
    South Park is available for Regions 2-6 in 4 separate complete season boxsets unlike the "best of" they shove onto the US market. Each disc is packaged in clear Amaray cases with double sided cover artwork. You see the other side of the artwork when you open the case. You get 4 discs in Amaray's, one cardboard slipcase, and another equally thick carboard slipcase to slide over from the other end. It's a great package.
    The Sopranos came in snappers(HB0), but with a nice carboard slipcase with a fliptop style door. The packaging isn't the greatest, but it is five steps better than those crappy cardboard accordians we get for From Earth to the Moon, X-Files, Simpsons, Sopranos, and so on.
    Warner claimed they got the message and weren't going to do "Best of" discs. Of course, we're being lied to again. The funny thing is their product is so bad I almost never even have to consider Warner and MGM titles. Once every two months I'll pick one of their titles, but I average 2-4 a week.

11. Paul Chi

Paul Chi Stunt Coordinator

OH MY GOD!!! In the words of Janice from the show, Warner has totally screwed up again. I am literally waiting everyday for a season by season set of this fantastic show. What can we do to change their minds? I am willing to do anything Warner. Please listen to us. Thanks.

12. Mariano

Mariano Agent

Joseph :
    you received Soprano season 2 ??
    It was going to be released in November !! [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Mariano on August 14, 2001 at 06:42 AM]

13. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

There are three letters that can explain these Warner anomalies...
    A O L
    Be afraid.....be very afraid.
    ------------------
    http://www.ricperrott.com
    Ric Perrott

14. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

15. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Warner provided an email address for The Digital Bits when the first set was announced and they got wind of dissapointment by the DVD community. They indicated that the mail they received would be considered and addressed, being that there was more volume and passion than they had suspected. Looks like they ignored this and South Park after all. Warners suck.
    ------------------
    Rationality is not a commodity which is evenly distributed.
    Save Stargate SG-1 Season 6
    View SpaceDog's DVD Collection

16. GaryEA

GaryEA Second Unit

I'm really stunned. I thought they were going to start releasing season sets. I really did. I don't know why I thought that, considering all the screw-ups WB (grr...) has managed to pull off in one year, perhaps since the AOL merger (Been to a WB store looking for a cel? So was I...), but I still did. Silly me.
    Fox is doing well with X-Files, so there's a good example that people buy these sets. Sopranos too. Comsos came in one set fer crying out loud (big thank you's on that one).
    Yet again, WB takes the easy way out. "Best of" discs. It's going to be a nightmare when the Batman Animated Series debuts next year, especially if it's "best of", and you know it will because what mom or pop will want to buy a $50+ box set for the young one, when they could buy a $20 "best of" set to keep the kid's mouth tight for an hour.
    And that's what the WB's "best of"'s boil down to; keeping the unknowingly dumbed-down masses quiet and happy and giggling for two hours rather than ten. Meanwhile, we are willing to pay more, for more. Seems like a win-win, but conventional wisdom apparently does not apply anywhere in their plans.
    Rant over.
    -g

17. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    Call me Devil's advocate here, but why is everybody all up in arms about this?
    Did Warner (not Warners...the 's' is silent) actually say that they're not working on a season set?
    How do you know that this is the only release they will consider?
    Do they have to tell you anything, before the set you want arrives?
    This is one release. It doesn't necessarily mean that a season set isn't being made.
    Could it be that the Matt LeBlanc and Courtney Cox fan clubs, as well as Friends chat forums out there were consulted about this as well, and they kind of balked at the possible $90-100 price tag just for completeness? They were consulted about what is the 'best" episodes for these 2 sets to begin with, so that's at least possible. HTF isn't the only consumer group that is important to the studios you know.
    I'm just speculating here, but to make blind accusations about how "They just don't care about their customers" without knowing what they have up their sleeves, or exactly how they came to this descision is a bit presumptuous.
    More on 'season box sets' in the next post
    [Edited last by Trace Downing on August 15, 2001 at 04:01 AM]
    [Edited last by Trace Downing on August 15, 2001 at 04:03 AM]

18. Trace Downing

Trace Downing Supporting Actor

Trace Downing
    I think that there is a fundemental difference in Friends than there is in the other series that has been released on DVD in season sets...
    consider...
    Sopranos-a serial series that to omit even one episode would lose continuity with the larger story. If Warner did this with any ER DVDs, it should be upsetting.
    X-Files and upcoming Star Trek TNG- two words...Science Fiction. We know how fan boys are, they want completeness, and their obsession with collecting is well known throughout the world. If Warner did the "Best of Friends thing" with Babylon 5, then I would see a cause for uproar. B5 is also a serial, see example 1.
    Simpsons-animated series carry the same avid fan base that Sci-Fi series has, so it is worth it for completeness. South Park Theme sets is a stumble by WB, I will concede that.
    Friends...is...a...SITCOM! Aside from a few recurring stories, such as Chandler/Monica or Phoebe's pregnancy, there isn't a continuity problem by omitting the chaff from the cream. It's not Sci-Fi, so where is the rabid collecting going to come from? Etc...
    Another thing to consider...are you absolutely sure that you're going to be just as interested in Friends 5 years from now as you are today? I say this, because it will take just about that long to get all 7-8-9 seasons on DVD.
    Would you be willing to buy (at $100 a pop) season sets of Roseanne/Golden Girls/Cosby Show/Growing Pains/Three's Company? If not, why not? They were all #1 shows in their time, and even had higher Nielsen ratings than Friends do now. Could it be that they are all, or mostly old hat?
    Friends has yet to prove itself a perrenial favorite. It'll take a few years before it can be placed in the same class as M*A*S*H, Cheers, I Love Lucy, Taxi, Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, or even to a lesser extent, Newhart, or Seinfeld. If some of you can guarantee Warner that you'll buy the last season box 5 years from now, their tune might change.
    Speaking of Seinfeld...Columbia/TriStar has yet to put a single episode of Seinfeld on DVD, where are the "Go to Hell C/T" threads about this? Warner at least has SOME Friends eps on DVD, and their the Evil Empire? [​IMG]
    I guess it must be easy to gang up on the current whipping boy now.
    [Edited last by Trace Downing on August 15, 2001 at 04:31 AM]

19. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

20. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

I don't see the 'very short' Warner chat thats coming up being extremely pleasant.