What's new

WARNER: Help remember Gregory Peck and release "Other People's Money" on DVD (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Like many of you I'm sure, I was saddened to hear of Gregory Peck's passing today.

I couldn't help but go back to one of my favorite roles of his in the film "Other People's Money" (which starred Danny Devito.)

Peck's heartfelt speech near the end of the film to his company's stockholders to reject the takeover bid of Devito's corporate swine really hit home to most of us in the middle class. A man who built his company from nothing into a giant, only to see it go through hard financial times was difficult to watch but his overriding hope of a better tomorrow, for both himself and the small town whose livelihoods depend on the factory staying open, certainly put a smile on my face.

It's a shame this film was overlooked during it's original theatrical run, but DVD can bring it to a new audience. For those of you who think Michael Douglas is the only actor who can expertly pull off rich/greedy/powerful without a sweat, I suggest you watch Devito in this flick. Devito's rebuttal to Peck's near the end of the film rivals that of Douglas' in "Wall Street."

I certainly hope Warner Brothers will look into releasing "Other People's Money" on DVD sometime soon.

Anybody else with me?

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I would absolutly pick up "Other People's Money". Who could forget Larry "The Liquidator"'s "Easy Come, Easy Go" proposition. ;)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Michael - I'm sure I'm not the only one left with a slightly unpleasant taste in my mouth after reading your post. To be honest, it smacks of opportunism on a tragic event, and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it emotional blackmail towards Warner, but it's certainly in the same ballpark.

I know it was almost certainly wasn't intended as such, but did you really have to post it on the same day as the unfortunate news broke?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jon, if you or anyone else actually thought that then you *really* missed the point of what I was saying. In fact, I'm rather shcked that anyone would interpret it in such a way.

It's "opportunism" to want one of the man's warmest performances ever released on DVD?

Why was it posted on the same day? Because as soon as I heard the news, I immediately thought back to that film and wanted to express my thoughts.

Boy, talk about missing the mark entirely...

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I gotta agree with Jon. While you may want one of you favorite performances of Greg's in your collection, asking a studio to release a DVD to "remember the deceased" seems kind of odd. If you wanted them to release the DVD to "remember what a great performance was given," then I'd agree with you. It's all in the wording.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Well apparently I'm some kind of DVD ghoul. Here I thought getting a studio to release a great film containing one of Peck's last performances so everybody could enjoy it was a good thing. I never thought "help remember" or tribute would be considered bad taste. But hey, thanks for turning a good idea into an accusatory bitch fest. I can't believe I would be insulted over this.

and while I wouldn't go so far as to call it emotional blackmail towards Warner, but it's certainly in the same ballpark.
Completely ridiculous....but whatever, I'm done with this thread.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Just to move us out of the Michael bashing business :D, I, too, would love to see Other People's Money on DVD -- it's one of DeVito's best performances (and on that subject, an anamorphic Romancing the Stone would be most welcome), Peck is marvelous as well, and while a bit dodgy at first (perhaps a bit o' nerves in the company of her co-starring cast? Perfectly understandable), Penelope Ann Miller ultimately turns in a charming performance. I fell in love with this picture when I saw it in theatres (hard to believe that was 13 years ago ...), and a solid DVD edition (perhaps with a DeVito commentary, in addition to the director of the picture?) would be a marvel. There was also, at the time, news of an alternate ending that Norman Jewison shot, but which played poorly with audiences and was replaced by what we have now. If it still exists, that should, of course, be included as a supplement.

For what it's worth, I have no problem with the idea of a "commemorative" DVD release put on the front burner because of an actor's passing. I know Bill Hunt has occasionally remarked on his site that an actor or director's passing is a good time to "spin a few of their discs" and remember them -- hard to do that if the discs haven't been released. :D Happily, we have a number of Peck's best films on DVD (Roman Holiday, To Kill a Mockingbird, Cape Fear), so spinning a few would be a nice way of giving a personal thumbs up. At any rate, as to an increased commitment to Peck's work on the format, I was hoping for much the same thing with Phil Hartman's work after his truly tragic demise, but his films haven't received the robust treatment I'd hoped at the time. Your call sounds like a good one to me, Michael, and you might consider posting an Other People's Money request thread in the Studio Feedback forum (Warner Bros.). It's a very funny and well-made film by a highly respected director (Norman Jewison), and has an outstanding cast to boot -- it's also fairly recent. Sounds like a good candidate for release to me. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i was thinking nothing like the ghoulish thoughts of the first few replies. i thought that it seemed like a good idea.

although i hated the movie.

still like to see it come out for those that liked it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

I don't think the comments you guys have
thrown out at Michael are very fair.

I don't believe that Mr. Allred was taking
any opportunity here other than to remember
a moment from Gregory Peck's screen career.

I hope some of you will rethink your comments
here.

Thank You

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand the Michael-bashing either. I've never seen the movie in question, but if it has Gregory Peck in it, I'm willing to purchase it.

MichaelW

Stunt Coordinator
Consider me one who took no offense to Michael's post either. I'm still not sure after re-reading the original post how it possibly could have been taken that way.

Regardless, great performances by both Peck and Devito. If this ever comes out, it will definitely be a purchase for me.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Peck's speech at the end epitomizes what made Peck great: dignity; strength; humanity.

Warner's releasing the film on DVD would be a small, but fitting valediction to one of America's favourite sons and one of the great Hollywood actors of our time.

Gordy

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I too, will miss Gregory Peck.
The man was a beacon of decency, and of upstanding, compassionate morality.
Something I fear we will see less of in future Hollywood.

And I love the childhood magic of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks