What's new

Warner has shuttered its "specialty" divisions: analysis from L.A. Times (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on HTF, but last week Warner continued the consolidation of its film business by shutting down Warner Independent Pictures (which released Good Night and Good Luck and Michael Clayton, among many other films) and Picturehouse (which released Pan's Labyrinth and La Vie en Rose). This follows Warner's absorption of New Line and is part of the drive to cut costs and increase profitability.

It's also a disaster for films that aren't mainstream and star-driven.

For an excellent analysis of Warner's motives and its blindspots, see Patrick Goldstein's analysis in the L.A. Times. Excerpt:

M.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
So producing four heavily lauded and reasonably popular movies is a bad thing to WB?

All this means is that they will get less of my money. I rarely go to large mainstream films.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
It's not like their large, mainstream films are making money either. Exhibit A: Speed Racer.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
So where will this leave Christopher Guest and his crew? His most recent movie ("For Your Consideration") was done at WIP, and his movies don't necessarily fit the Warner Brothers Pictures profile, if they ever did.

Might the group move past Castle Rock (owned by Time Warner) to another studio, or will they stay at Warner?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

If you haven't seen "For Your Consideration" yet, I recommend that you do, and who knows, maybe the shuttering of WIP and Picturehouse might lead to another comedy for Guest and his gang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newyork333
Recent bookmarks