Warner has seen the light

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Alex-A, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

So I just went to the store to buy some of my must-have new releases (Full House and Knight Rider) and I notice that the Full House Third Season set has been packaged using slim cases! No more will I have to dig under one disc to get at another disc. If this is true for all of Warner's releases from this point forward, then I congratulate them on making a very smart decision. The overlapper digipaks is one of my most hated case designs. I actually like digipaks in general, but not when you have two discs taking up the same spot. Not sure if anyone else is aware of this so I figured I'd post it up. Mods feel free to lock or delete this if it's undeeded.

2. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

I noticed Knott's Landing was also released in slim cases last week. It was mentioned in an article a while back that WB would begin using slim cases for their multi-disc sets -- both TV and movies.

3. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Screenwriter

Pete
    Woohoo!... this is awesome news! I despise those overlapping disc cases!

4. Wezzo

Wezzo Second Unit

Cool, though that'll mean yet more inconsistency in the Fresh Prince series (all three so far have used overlapping digipaks but with different numbers of panels).

5. Tony S

Tony S Stunt Coordinator

Are they using the double slim cases (two discs in one slim case) for the tv sets or one per case?

6. Alex-A

Alex-A Stunt Coordinator

Not really. The one thing that has always bothered me about inconsistency in case design is the fact that some sets will not match up on the shelf with the previous sets that were released with the original cases. Knight Rider Season One suffers from this, as it used a digipak and doesn't match up with the other three sets. I checked at the store just to see before I left if any big difference would be noticeable with the slims vs. the original overlapper. The overlapper case is virtually identical in width with the new slim version of the "slipcover" that holds the contents. The difference in width is a millimeter at the most, it will not make a big fuss on the shelf as some other sets have. I have never had a problem with sets using different case designs, as long as their sizes match up with each other. The Fifth Season set of the Flintstones uses the slim cases now, which makes the set much smaller in width than the previous digipaks. That is what I find annoying.

7. Allen_Kir

Allen_Kir Stunt Coordinator

I also Like that now they put a summary of the episodes on the case unlike fresh prince or growing pains. I just wish the extras would improve.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I am very glad. I wondered when Warner was gonna get with it, lol

9. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

I've never liked digipacks. I don't like cardboard. Didn't like it on (American) VHS tapes and I despise it on DVD. Give me a plus plastic case with art insert over cardboard any day. Cardboard shows wear and tear (dents, tears, wrinkles, etc.) a lot worse than a plastic box with art inlay. Never did like the way US videomakers went to cardboard for VHS (in Europe, the plastic box was the standard) and I was happy to see that when DVD arrived, they (mostly) didn't take the cheap way out.

Yes, a digipack can be great for a graphics presentation idea (large, fold-out size lends itself well to artwork, etc.) for for practicality/durability, the standard set of plastic boxes is a far better idea in general.

Oh, and I despise the overlapping-disc thing worst of all (well, maybe not as bad as flippers, but it's close either way).

10. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

I wonder if Dukes of Hazzard season 6 will have the slim cases. I can only hope.