What's new

Warner February Releases: Miracle in the Rain, A Summer Place & others (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I saw over at the digital bits this morning that two favorites of mine are out from warners in february - A Summer Place and Surprisingly, Miracle in the Rain - a film I thought I would never see on video, much less dvd.

Miracle was shot almost entirely on location in New York City and at St. Patricks Cathedral in 1956 starring Janw Wyman and Van johnson in two of the finest performances either gave.
It also boasts a dynamite score by Franz waxman.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
From the Digital Bits:

Warner has officially announced the DVD release of more catalog titles, including Blume in Love, The Clock, Crossing Delancey, Miracle in the Rain and A Summer Place for 2/6/07, with The Butcher Boy, Ginger & Fred, Performance and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner following on 2/13.

I'm excited about many of these but I'm most excited about Performance and The Butcher Boy, titles I didn't think would make it anytime soon onto DVD. Thanks Warner!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
A Summer Place- at long last! Now, if they can only release the rest of the 1959-64 Delmer Daves films on DVD like Parrish, Susan Slade (reportedly a fave of John Waters!), and Youngblood Hawke.....

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Great to hear about some of these titles, especially The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, Performance, and Blume in Love. Very intrigued by Miracle in the Rain, A Summer Place, and The Clock.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Why "Miracle in the Rain," of all things?

I'd like Warner to release a box set of Stage to Screen comedies, including "No Time for Sergeants," "A Majority of One," "Critic's Choice," "Mary, Mary," "Never Too Late" and "Any Wednesday." What would be wrong with that? Those movies were big deals in their day.

And, yes, I'm going to nag for it until I get it.

Tim_C

Stunt Coordinator
I have been wanting to see "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner" for a really long time, so this news has me extremely excited. I'll probably pick up several more of these titles too.

I love Warner.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

Well, for one thing, it's never been available on home video in any format before and given the cast, it should be. Ditto "The Dark at the Top of the Stairs" an underrated William Inge adaptation with a stellar cast (Robert Preston, Dorothy Maguire, Angela Lansbury, Eve Arden).

Funny thing about "Miracle in the Rain" -- I'd never seen it but over the years, when I mentioned that I collected films on laserdisc and later DVD to people, three different women immediately asked me, "Do you have "Miracle in the Rain? I saw it years ago and it's my favorite movie!" None of them were buffs of older movies, per se, but all three had watched it when they were young and it had the same appeal as "An Affair to Remember" had for the ladies in "Sleepless in Seattle." I envision countless women out there saying "Men just don't get this movie!"

For what it's worth, one of them found a copy on cable and showed it to me. It's quite interesting with unusually strong religious undertones for a Hollywood movie. A real tearjerker and the ultimate "chick flick" for Catholic women. If Warner's markets it at the Altar Society demographic it should do amazingly well.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit

It was a big hit in its day, and it's only another example of Warner's smarts that they are releasing it for Valentine's Day. It's also been an excessively popular item for evil eBay bootleggers to sell. I've seen them offering this title on VHS for years. Now a legit version, no less on DVD, will make many people happy. I'm definitely going to pick it up. Actually, I'm going to buy all 5 of those films. They're all quite good. [/quote]

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I voted for BLUME IN LOVE during the recent Amazon.com/Warner poll and was very disappointed when it didn't make the final cut. I'm very happy that they're releasing it, but it does make me wonder if these polls are just a way for Warners to publicize already decided-upon upcoming releases rather than a true means of decision-making about what to release.

In that spirit, I await a release announcement for THE MAN WHO LOVED CAT DANCING, another title that failed in the recent balloting.

Charles H

Screenwriter
MIRACLE IN THE RAIN--as a wartime romance--is the perfect companion piece to THE CLOCK. I wish that WB would bring out the Wyman version of Ferber's SO BIG (as well as the Colleen Moore and Barbara Stanwyck predecessors).

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"Crossing Delancey" and "Performance" will be mine, and I've heard some good things about "Ginger And Fred" as well. I hope we'll hear some specs on these titles soon.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I recall reading somewhere that when Don Simpson was at Warner Brothers in the 70s, he threw a party for the movie "Performance" with alcohol and marijuana.

ted:r

Second Unit

I believe it was the stated intention of these polls way back when that the votes would constitute the release order of the DVD's, rather than whether they would get released at all. That hasn't turned out to be exactly the case, since by my count 3 from the first and 10 from the 2nd remain unreleased (and "Op. Crossbow' and "All Fall Down" were in two polls.)

Still, I share your hope for the "losers" of poll 3, especially "All Fall Down", "You're A Big Boy Now" and "Sunrise At Campobello". At least with the WB, there is always hope, which one can't really say for Paramount.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm thrilled about THE CLOCK, but I thought THE PIRATE was slated for a February release. I guess not. :frowning:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
My History of Cinema teacher is probably having a heart attack right now over Performance.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
"Crossing Delancey" will be mine! :)
I cried more tears at the end of "Crossing Delancey" than any film I can think of. I really identified with the Amy Irving character.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I was hoping for a Anamorphic BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY but the titles coming are pretty sweet. GINGER & FRED and CROSSING DELANCEY are unexpected.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks