What's new

Warner Eyes 2012 for ‘Casablanca,’ ‘Lethal Weapon’ Anniversary Releases (1 Viewer)

BillyGil

Insider
Real Name
Billy Gil
Warner Home Video next year will celebrate landmark anniversaries for classic films in its slate.

The Burbank, Calif.-based studio Feb. 17 announced a moratorium beginning March 28 in preparation for the 70th anniversary of Casablanca and the four-film “Lethal Weapon” series, which will commemorate its 25th anniversary. Warner in the coming year will provide additional details about these special edition releases, which will include remasterings, Blu-ray debuts, new bonus material, collectors’ editions and more.

Read more at http://www.homemediamagazine.com/warner/warner-eyes-2012-casablanca-lethal-weapon-anniversary-releases-22028

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I'm all for the Leathal Weapon films to show up on Blu-ray, so I can finally retire all four of my DVDs, but I wonder what is left to do with Casablanca? The Collectors edition was pretty loaded, whats left to add?

Commentary by Roger Ebert
Commentary by historian Rudy Behlmer
Introduction by Lauren Bacall
Additional scenes and outtakes
Two documentaries: Bacall on Bogart, You Must Remember This: A Tribute to Casablanca
Featurette: As Time Goes By: The Children Remember with Pia Lindstrom and Stephen Bogart
Production research gallery
Homage cartoon Carrotblanca
Who Holds Tomorrow?: Premiere episode from the 1955 Warner Bros. Presents TV series adaptation of Casablanca
Scoring session outtakes
Audio-only bonus: Radio production with the movie's three key stars
Theatrical trailer
Bonus disc of the documentary Jack Warner: The Last Mogul
Exclusive passport holder and luggage tag
48-Page Photo Book
10 One-Sheet Reproduction Cards
Archival Correspondence

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I too am all for all four LW films, heck I LOVE them. But as for Casablanca, I am sick and tired of studios re and re-re-releasing the classics. Like come one, can't you use those resources to put outfilms never released? Sure, Casablanca is a classic... it's one of my favorites, and probably, imho, the best film ever made (Godfather, Wind and Kane are right up there too).

But it has been released several times... like you said above, what more can they offer?

Sound of Music, Godfather, Wind, Oz, Zhivago... all of these have had multiple re-releases, and, trying to complete my collection of Best Puicture Nominees with the best availavle editions, I have been suckered into buying them all (and now I have a box full of coasters I can't give away. I tried to sell them in the sell/trade forum, but no offeres...)

The LW series was due for a MAJOR update. Hopefully, they give us some decent bonus features. (Don't know if they want to work with Mel Gibson though)... But If you ain't gonna give us anything better than that was on the DVD, I'm not gonna waste my time / money.

It's like, oh, say, Mutiney on the Bounty (1935). I have it on DVD, and it's enjoyable. But now it comes out on Blu-Ray with NO update to bonus features. So what is there to encourage me to purchase it on Blu-Ray, aside from a restored picture? The DVD was good enough for me. I was able to watch it.

Warners is particularly bad for this. Fox, too. I mean, Fox put out all of those terrific "Classic Collection" titles (although I thought they could have done a little better with some of the bonus features on some titles; some were very good.) Then, they go and release SEVERAL again on two-disc sets (Eve, Wrath). Paramount, on the other hand, won't put ANYTHING out (oh sure, they gave us Queen last year, but when is Wings comming???

It's very frustrating.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
One thing I don't think we have on DVD or Blu is the theatrical cuts of the LETHAL WEAPON films, which are available in a new UK collection (US-playable) with what I understand is improved audio/video over the longer versions on DVD here and a few new extras. (I've read A/V complaints about the US LWs on Blu.)

(Two threads on this now, by the way, which could be combined.)

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
So, if we're hearing about these for 2012, does that mean that rumor about the Superman Ultimate set for this year is bogus?

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
already having the UCE of Casablanca, i was hoping for something different, would like to see the four Bogart Bacall films make it as a set.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Heard this news earlier today, Well, come 2012, I suspect I'll be in the blu, but I'm not buying all the Weapon flicks. One and Two for sure; not sure about Three; no fuckin' way on Four, though, it's the weakest of the series.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I'm sure the SUPERMAN set will bow on Blu with the coming film.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

One thing I don't think we have on DVD or Blu is the theatrical cuts of the LETHAL WEAPON films, which are available in a new UK collection (US-playable) with what I understand is improved audio/video over the longer versions on DVD here and a few new extras. (I've read A/V complaints about the US LWs on Blu.)

(Two threads on this now, by the way, which could be combined.)

My blu-ray of Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 are both the theatrical cuts. I don't believe the director's cuts of the films have been released on blu-ray.

Doug

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by SWFF

Heard this news earlier today, Well, come 2012, I suspect I'll be in the blu, but I'm not buying all the Weapon flicks. One and Two for sure; not sure about Three; no fuckin' way on Four, though, it's the weakest of the series.

I'd be willing to bet they may just release them in a box set to start with, I have no inside info on this, its just a guess.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce

My blu-ray of Lethal Weapon 1 and 2 are both the theatrical cuts. I don't believe the director's cuts of the films have been released on blu-ray.

Doug

Right, I have the HD DVD releases of the first two films and they're the theatrical cuts. I also have the UK BR boxset and it's the same.

Crawdaddy

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Originally Posted by robbbb1138

So, if we're hearing about these for 2012, does that mean that rumor about the Superman Ultimate set for this year is bogus?

Aren't three of the six Superman films (including the Donner cut of II) already on blu?

robbbb1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Robb
Originally Posted by Sam Favate

Aren't three of the six Superman films (including the Donner cut of II) already on blu?

Technically, yes, but 1 and 2 aren't the theatrical versions.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by eric scott richard

Casablanca will probably have a lossless track this time out.

I'm hoping for it. I have the HD-DVD and will hold onto it. Unless my dual players die, I have no motivation to buy the current BD, but if next year's edition has lossless audio, I'll spring for it.

Doug

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
How can a UK disc be US playable? Region Free?

Originally Posted by Bob Cashill

One thing I don't think we have on DVD or Blu is the theatrical cuts of the LETHAL WEAPON films, which are available in a new UK collection (US-playable)...

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
I think that all of Warner's UK Blus (not DVDs) are region-free. Reviews confirmed that this one was so I sprang for it.

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
Originally Posted by battlebeast

How can a UK disc be US playable? Region Free?

It is a Warner release and they aren't in the habit of region locking their Blu-rays. Same goes for Universal.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Oh! This makes sense! I went to France and took along a few movies to watch on the plane and at night in the hotel, and their tv-dvd player played only the Warner DVDs... This is great news for me, as I may be able to buy some of the Best Pictures on DVD that I need...

And you say Universal doesn't do this either? Well I bought The Shanghai Express on DVD from the UK and it couldn't play here.. interesting.

Can anyone confirm about Universal?.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks