What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (1 Viewer)

daver812

Grip
Real Name
Dave
I picked up a copy of Critics Choice recently and it won't play at all! Is there a list of potentially bad DVDs from Warner Bros??
Does this problem also apply to HD DVD discs? I've had a few that don't play any more or only play in part.

OLDTIMER

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken S-B
The Garland/Rooney collection has been one of the most problematic disc sets. All of mine failed ...
All of mine but one failed. I also lost 3 from the WB Gangster sets. But spare a thought for those of us outside of the U.S. Warners won't replace our failed discs because, theoretically, the discs were not meant to be sold outside the USA.

blakey55

Grip
Real Name
stephen blake
the only disc on my garland/rooney boxset that plays is babes on broadway.i suppose it wont be long before that fails as well.

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Really disappointed in Warner Archive - I have quite a few discs of theirs that are no longer playable (all from 2006 - 3007 era) and after emailing them back in May giving them a list of the unplayable ones, I did receive a reply stating that they could supply me with some of them as replacements. Never heard anything else so emailed them again and got a similar reply asking me for name, address, proof of purchase etc, which I sent them. Nothing - so emailed - again - and got the same reply - they could supply me with replacements for some! The last email I sent asked them a couple of weeks ago what was happening to my replacements. I received the same message but there was a statement at the foot ("US and Canada only"), which really p&*%$d me off as I am in the UK.
I have spent a small fortune on DVDs from Warners over the years - and think the very least they can do is supply replacements for faulty product, wherever you live. I would - if pushed - be happy to pay postage in order to get discs that actually played.

Alistair

Last edited:

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Really disappointed in Warner Archive - I have quite a few discs of theirs that are no longer playable (all from 2006 - 3007 era) and after emailing them back in May giving them a list of the unplayable ones, I did receive a reply stating that they could supply me with some of them as replacements. Never heard anything else ...

Alistair
Titles so the rest of us can check?

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Titles so the rest of us can check?
The Adventures of Don Juan, Forbidden Hollywood Vol 1 and 2, Babes in Arms, Torch Song, The Big Steal/Illegal, Crime Wave/Decoy, Act of Violence/Mystery Street.
These are the ones I have that don't play. But I refer you to the link to the list that dirks posted above for other titles that have showed up as unplayable.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Don Juan is now on Blu-ray, I know that much :)
I had problems with the Noirs too but luckily Sherri Bogard was there at the time and exchanged them for the WAC re-releases.
I would keep reaching out to them, maybe even WB Shop could give you a lead. There has to be someone you can talk to!

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Don Juan is now on Blu-ray, I know that much :)
I had problems with the Noirs too but luckily Sherri Bogard was there at the time and exchanged them for the WAC re-releases.
I would keep reaching out to them, maybe even WB Shop could give you a lead. There has to be someone you can talk to!
I did buy Don Juan on blu-ray to replace my faulty DVD but I can ill afford to spend money replacing all the faulty Warner Archive pressed DVDs in my collection.

It seems to be extremely frustrating trying to contact anyone at Warners that seem to be able to respond/care about their customers.

I, too have, corresponded with the excellent Sherri Bogard in the past. She was a pleasure to deal with and really seemed to care about Warner Customer Service.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Yeah, pretty much ever Warner Bros. HD DVD is a rotter. Here is a link for a master list of problematic Warner DVD titles: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CyLGHyuhA2mfhPr4Bkyj8RAapl_0LTmN/edit
Phew, this list is depressing.

Since I worked near a long gone brick and mortar store (J & R Music World) and usually bought them all on Day One, are there any Warner box sets that did *not* experience rot?

Some day I may just throw away all of the box sets I have that are referenced on the list. They take up a lot of space and I don't have the time or energy to look at each disc.

K72

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET PT. 3, the edition from 2000 with the optional full screen version, has had it.

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
Another non-Warner title VCI'S Somewhere in Dreamland disc 2 doesnt even load (on several machines and computers) watched once several years back.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The First Deadly Sin freezes up during the intro on one of my players but it works fine another my other one. The Blade II and The Iron Giant Blu-rays had the same issue where it wouldnt even load on one player, but worked fine on another. :emoji_thinking:

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
The Garland/Rooney collection has been one of the most problematic disc sets. All of mine failed but I replaced them with the TCM DVD set package which plays fine. None of the films were those which I felt I needed to upgrade to Blu-ray.
I checked other Warner titles recently. The Garland-Rooney set is the only one that doesn't play for me.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Tried watching the DVD of Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) today but it froze early at the start of the third section (It's A Good Life with Kathleen Quinlan). Both the blu ray and DVD are out of print. Used copies can be found on ebay and Amazon anywhere from $50 to $100. No thanks. Hopefully the Warner Archives will reissue the title at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks