What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (1 Viewer)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Today I tried watching the original DVD from Warner of Dangerous When Wet - a magnificently idiotic title! - from the first Esther Williams Box-set. The disc froze about half way through and I couldn't get it to work. Fortunately I had a substitute DVD in the TCM 4 disc set I bought when On An Island With You went bad on me and that played with no problems.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK

Actually they do, Warner Bros. customer service is back up and running assisting people with replacement discs after the pandemic. See above you tube link how how to do so

I guess he does Not like to replace the old rotted DVD's with Digital HD versions ? They look Much better than the DVD's ! :) That's what I do. ;) Plus you save room on the shelves ! :D

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I guess he does Not like to replace the old rotted DVD's with Digital HD versions ? They look Much better than the DVD's ! :) That's what I do. ;) Plus you save room on the shelves ! :D
Gotta love this guy, but “This video is a short update” - 29 minutes. Slays me. 😊

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Back when Sherri was at WHV she replaced some of those same Errol Flynn discs for me that he mentioned in the video. I also did not get my copy of Flynn's The Dawn Patrol replaced. They actually sent me a MOD copy of the earlier Richard Barthelmess version. I did buy the iTunes digital version of the Flynn version, but it lacks the special features that were on the DVD.

Real Name
Eric
Season 4 of NYPD Blue has bit the dust. Released on June 20, 2006. It's a fox release but the discs are pressed in the same plant as the troublesome Warner releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Season 4 of NYPD Blue has bit the dust. Released on June 20, 2006. It's a fox release but the discs are pressed in the same plant as the troublesome Warner releases.

I was hoping for an NYPD Blue complete series set with the possibility of Shout Factory redoing seasons 3 and 4 as single-sided discs sets. (ie. Similar to what ShoutFactory did for Hill Street Blues, where the first two seasons were originally released by Fox as dvd14 double-sided flipper discs). Though I don't think this will happen at this stage.

(More generally).

Out of the giant movie companies, in practice I've found that Fox had the worst quality control when it came to their double-sided flipper discs. Most their flippers were dvd14 discs, where one side was a dvd9 double-layer and the other side was a dvd5 single-layer.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I was hoping for an NYPD Blue complete series set with the possibility of Shout Factory redoing seasons 3 and 4 as single-sided discs sets. (ie. Similar to what ShoutFactory did for Hill Street Blues, where the first two seasons were originally released by Fox as dvd14 double-sided flipper discs). Though I don't think this will happen at this stage.

(More generally).

Out of the giant movie companies, in practice I've found that Fox had the worst quality control when it came to their double-sided flipper discs. Most their flippers were dvd14 discs, where one side was a dvd9 double-layer and the other side was a dvd5 single-layer.
It's going to happen sometimes next year.fox needs to rerelease seasons 3 &4 as single sided discs,possibly murder one might a get tsod rerelease seasons 1 & 2,hill street/st.elsewhere,might getting close.to getting rerelease tsod sets.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Mostly movie studios might going back to rerelease tsod sets,very soon,like they did in the last decade universal,warner,did it in the last decade.20th century fox getting close,and warner bros.getting close.maybe disney might going back to rerelease tsod sets.sony/mill creek does a great job rereleases,and continue to do so.have been doing for years.does a great job,and shout factory,have been doing it for years as well.mill creek and shout factory,does a great job,rereleasing tsod,dvd sets.there both still going strong.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
It's going to happen sometimes next year.fox needs to rerelease seasons 3 &4 as single sided discs,possibly murder one might a get tsod rerelease seasons 1 & 2,hill street/st.elsewhere,might getting close.to getting rerelease tsod sets.

There's been nothing to suggest that Disney is in the least interested in releasing any new TV shows on disc, or even re-releasing previously released shows on disc. I can't remember the last time they released any TV shows on disc other than The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh Blu-ray from the DMC. There was the Davy Crockett release, too, but I'm not sure I'd count that, since it was the two movie versions, rather than the original TV serials (like Scarecrow).

And, of course, whatever Shout! Factory still has under license. But that's Shout, not Disney.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
christy complete series might rereleasing tsod sets.and getting close the bob newhart show seasons 1-4 rereleases,and mary tyler moore season sets with all single sides sets,but no flippers,and the white shadow seasons 1 & 2 might getting close to rereleasing,tsod sets,with no flippers,just single siding sets.and without a trace season 1 rereleases,would be great.
and newhart season one rerelease,would be great.mgm might getting close to rereleasing green acres seasons 1-3.would be great.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
So far I only checked a couple of discs from the Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney collection. The 2 titles not on blu ray yet: Babes In Arms and Babes On Broadway won't play. The extra disc with the trailers doesn't either. I didn't bother checking Strike Up The Band and Girl Crazy as I have the blu rays of those. I have the 2 volumes Of Esther Williams, Volume 3 of Classic Musicals From The Dream Factory, The Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers collection and several sets of Warners Gangsters. I will have to check on those. A lot of these haven't been played in a long time.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
So far I only checked a couple of discs from the Judy Garland & Mickey Rooney collection. The 2 titles not on blu ray yet: Babes In Arms and Babes On Broadway won't play. The extra disc with the trailers doesn't either. I didn't bother checking Strike Up The Band and Girl Crazy as I have the blu rays of those. I have the 2 volumes Of Esther Williams, Volume 3 of Classic Musicals From The Dream Factory, The Fred Astaire-Ginger Rogers collection and several sets of Warners Gangsters. I will have to check on those. A lot of these haven't been played in a long time.
The Garland/Rooney collection has been one of the most problematic disc sets. All of mine failed but I replaced them with the TCM DVD set package which plays fine. None of the films were those which I felt I needed to upgrade to Blu-ray.

daver812

Grip
Real Name
Dave
My old DVD of "Critics Choice" froze up halfway through - not even using the remote or going straight to the end did anything. Not a big loss as I also had it in the Lucille Ball Collection.

I also had quite a bad run with Warner Archive discs in the last year or so, including the Jean Harlow Collection, "Looking for Love" and "Bitter Sweet".

On a sidenote - I haven't had ANY issues with the pressed Warner discs since the plants moved to Mexico. The only discs that froze or played up for me (many over the years) were when Warners manufactured their discs in the States.
I picked up a copy of Critics Choice recently and it won't play at all! Is there a list of potentially bad DVDs from Warner Bros??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks