What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (4 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I was looking at the two Tarzan collections last night. With the exception of one film, both collections played fine. On the first disc of Volume 2, Tarzan's Desert Mystery was fine, while Tarzan Triumphs hoses up. Fortunately, before the Warner collections were released, I got two 3-movie volumes on Australian DVD with the six RKO Weismuller films, so I have a backup of Tarzan Triumphs (though I suppose I should check out those discs as well).

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched my Tarzan collections over the weekend and Tarzan and the Leopard Women died at Chapter 20 :( The only replacement I saw was on a Weissmuller 4 movie collection - I dont think WAC did any re-release Archive titles for these movies

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Another Warners DVD bites the dust! :( I was watching Brother Orchid with Edward G. Robinson last night when it froze around the 45 minute mark.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Another Warners DVD bites the dust! :( I was watching Brother Orchid with Edward G. Robinson last night when it froze around the 45 minute mark.
Get the Digital version. That's what I do when the DVD's Freeze. I got a bunch of WB Digital movies on Amazon last year. All 1930's and 1940's in HD 1080p ! :D They look Much better than those old DVD's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Get the Digital version. That's what I do when the DVD's Freeze. I got a bunch of WB Digital movies on Amazon last year. All 1930's and 1940's in HD 1080p ! :D They look Much better than those old DVD's.
I believe Thomas isn't into streaming iTunes movies. With that said, anybody that can and does stream movies, purchasing HD digitals at a reasonable price is an option that some of us can take advantage of.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I believe Thomas isn't into streaming iTunes movies. With that said, anybody that can and does stream movies, purchasing HD digitals at a reasonable price is an option that some of us can take advantage of.
Good memory! I'm not into streaming and downloading. If I can't hold it in my hand, I don't own it. I've ordered the Warner Archives MOD from Amazon. I've never had a Warner Archives MOD go bad on me. Wish I could say the same for their pressed discs. :angry:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Good memory! I'm not into streaming and downloading. If I can't hold it in my hand, I don't own it. I've ordered the Warner Archives MOD from Amazon. I've never had a Warner Archives MOD go bad on me. Wish I could say the same for their pressed discs. :angry:

Similar sentiments here too.

Though I don't bother going the dvd-mod route. I'll either wait for something to show up on a basic cable channel, or if it released as a Criterion type of release. If neither of these happen, I can live without it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
That's certainly what I've been doing as my discs rot away. Very pleased to replace the faulty films in this way.

Jaytee

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., 3 out of 8 discs no longer fully playable. A quick check on Amazon shows reviews from the last 2-3 years noting that discs in this set no longer play properly. I think there might have been a later pressing of this, so that would be the one to get instead of the original release.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr., 3 out of 8 discs no longer fully playable. A quick check on Amazon shows reviews from the last 2-3 years noting that discs in this set no longer play properly. I think there might have been a later pressing of this, so that would be the one to get instead of the original release.

Shit. I'd better check my copy. This is a show I don't want to "lose".

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Same with me. I've had several Warner and other studio pressed discs go bad but never a Warner archive MOD DVD-R disc or any MOD DVD-R I have bought.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If it's not already been mentioned I can add The Little Giant with Edward G. Robinson to the list. Decided to watch it after not seeing it for many years and the screen went completely black about half way through at a new chapter point. The disc wouldn't even come out of the player after that. I had to cut the power and then re-connect the player to get it out. Same thing happened on a second check.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I fear that the problems are multiplying exponentially (from what I'm reading in this thread) and WB may not be able to continue to keep up its wonderful customer service on this issue.
Does anyone know if Warner still has a disc replacement program as they did in the past? Or is this gone now that Warner no longer has their own storefront for selling discs? I've read through the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread and haven't seen anything about it. Sherri Bogard did a great job when she was working there replacing discs as she was able.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Does anyone know if Warner still has a disc replacement program as they did in the past? Or is this gone now that Warner no longer has their own storefront for selling discs? I've read through the last 5 or 6 pages of this thread and haven't seen anything about it. Sherri Bogard did a great job when she was working there replacing discs as she was able.
When I had my Wally Gator DVD set replaced two years ago, Sherri simply sent me a new one rather than me trying to send in what's bad. Even so, it took six months for the replacement to arrive at my door.

~Ben

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I was doing well with Bullets or Ballots, Smart Money, Lady Killer, Mayor of Hell, Picture Snatcher and G Men, all of which played fine but about three quarters into watching David Copperfield (W C Fields etc) the disc refused to play any further.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Has anyone had any issues with The Ronald Reagan: The Signature Collection DVD set released in 2006? I am looking into buying this set, I read reviews on amazon and I didn't see any complaints of bad disc but I just want to make sure before buying since this was released around the time a lot of Warner Brothers faulty disc were produced.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
In Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory, Vol 3, add Lady Be Good to the three that have already been listed (Hit the Deck, Deep In My Heart and Kismet). Darn thing played OK as recently as December 2021.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Sundowners (1960) from the Robert Mitchum Signature Collection started skipping and sputtering around the halfway mark. :(

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
In Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory, Vol 3, add Lady Be Good to the three that have already been listed (Hit the Deck, Deep In My Heart and Kismet). Darn thing played OK as recently as December 2021.
If it's any consolation, Hit The Deck, Deep In My Heart and Kismet have all been issued on super quality Warner Archive Blu-ray discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks