What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mine still plays fine, thank God. Very Good movie with Bogart, Raft, and Holden. Amazon has the Digital HD for $4.99 ! If my DVD goes I will get it on Digital. They look Much better than the DVD's.
For those interested, it's available on iTunes for that same price of $4.99.

Real Name
Eric
Just recently found out about these issues with Warner dual layer discs from 2008-2009. I bought the Warner box set "Film Noir Classic Collection Vol. 4" used only to find most of the discs wouldn't load and the ones that did would freeze. Doing research I discovered this thread so I started checking my other Warner discs from this era

Bad:
Film Noir Classics Collection Vol. 4
The Christopher Reeve Superman Collection (all 8 discs are rotted)

Good:
Cruising
The Dirty Dozen
Dirty Harry 1-5
Supergirl
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
2001: A Space Odyssey
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange

So far I've been lucky, probably because I live in a dry climate. The two sets I had go bad were bought used on ebay so I'm not sure how they were stored. Needless to say I'm still worried

K72

Auditioning
Real Name
Klaus
Hi to all!:)
I also have a few Warner-discs not properly working anymore:

-Tales from the Crypt / The Complete Fifth Season: Discs 1 &2
-Tales from the Crypt / The Complete Sixth Season: Disc 2
-Tales from the Crypt / The Complete Seventh Season: Disc 1
-Superman: The Theatrical Serials Collection: Disc 4
-The Val Lewton Horror Collection: -Disc with "I Walked With A Zombie / The Body Snatcher"-Double-Feature
-Disc with "The Leopard Man / The Ghost Ship"-Double-Feature

Also checked some others:
"Film Noir Collection 3" and "The Hollywood Legends of Horror-Collection" seems to be okay.

cdirks

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Dirks
For those new to this thread, you may want to look back at my entries from 6 months ago (#668 on Oct 4, 2020 and #672 on Oct 5, 2020). I posted the results of my extensive examination of defective WB DVDs (focusing on classic films). It is rather disturbing that there were at minimum 200 different (double-layer) DVD titles (released from 2006-2008) that have now become unplayable. I also discuss my interactions with Sheri Bogard.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I tried to play the Mickey Rooney / Judy Garland Collection discs this morning, and two of the discs, Babes in Arms and Babes on Broadway no longer play. It couldn't have been the other two that I've already replaced with blu-rays. I'm glad the bonus disc was okay, and ripped that so I have a copy.

Jaytee

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I've only seen a couple of reports of them in this thread, but some of the Warner R1 DC super-hero sets that were put out between 2006 and 2008 have also exhibited problems on playback and notable discoloration on the playing surface when I've gone back and checked them. This was of particular concern since Warner Home Video had a push on putting out many these series starting in 2006 to tie-in with Superman Returns.

From what I have read of others' experiences here and elsewhere, it would appear that some of the main points to determine if your Region 1 Warner DVDs are at risk are:

• Originally released between 2006 and 2008
  • Mould code: IFPI 2U**
  • Master code: IFPI L906 / IFPI L907 / IFPI L908

With only one exception, all of my affected DC super-hero DVDs, plus a disc from the first volume of SilverHawks, fit the above criteria.

With a summary of the mould and master codes in parentheses, the discs I have had problems with are:

2006-01-10 The Flash: The Complete Original Series - Disc 2 (2U / L907), Disc 6 (2U / L907)
2006-11-14 Adventures of Superman: The Complete Fifth & Sixth Seasons - Disc 2 (2U / L907) (also reported here)
2007-08-07 Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show - Disc 2 (60, L387)
2008-01-08 The All-New Super Friends Hour Volume One - Disc 1 (2U / L908), Disc 2 (2U / L907)
2008-10-14 SilverHawks Volume One - Disc 4 (2U / L906)

In every instance, the problem for me was the same - playback would stop and stutter around the layer-change point. Many of the affected discs, and other discs in the same sets that play fine for now, have playing surfaces that appear to be tinted yellow.

The original 2007 release of The All-New Super Friends Hour Volume One seems to be particularly badly-affected; I have seen other reports elsewhere of both discs in that set failing. Fortunately, this set was given a re-packaged release by Warner a few years later, with the discs in the re-release set clearly being from another print run - the original discs were printed with full-color artwork, whereas the re-releases only use red highlighted artwork.

I will also note that the SilverHawks disc that failed was the sole flipper disc in the set, so this may have been an issue related to the inherent problems with that terrible format rather than part of the wider manufacturing-issue seen with the other discs.

Disc 2 in my Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show set may be an outlier, as the mould and master codes don't fit with the ones reported to be the most problematic, but the problem shown on playback was nevertheless identical to the other affected discs.

I'm aware that The All-New Super Friends Hour Volume One and The Flash: The Complete Original Series were given re-packaged re-releases, and thus I'm content to replace these sets accordingly.

SilverHawks Volume One was given a later repackaged re-release just a couple of years ago, but the set went down from 4 discs to 3 discs and I'm not sure what was done here. Probably compressing more episodes onto each disc?

I'm unfortunately not aware of any repackaged re-releases for Adventures of Superman: The Complete Fifth & Sixth Seasons or Super Friends: The Legendary Super Powers Show, therefore it will just be a case of trying other sets until I get a working disc.

In addition to the above DC/animated sets with problems, I have also read elsewhere of several Region 1 Doctor Who DVD releases that Warner put out across 2006-2008 having the same problems as all the other affected discs from the same era.

mBen989

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matthew
I guess O Lucky Man is one of the affected titles...but does it have the effects of other known discs?

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
Sent in my discs...three months ago. Still haven't gotten anything back. Is anyone else here experiencing the same problem?

Geezerman

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I am shocked. I had no idea that factory pressed DVDs can go bad. I just got Executive Suite, and it will not play.
I may try buying it on Amazon. It says DVD-R, so I guess it is a MOD

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
Too bad we cant get a class action lawsuit against Warner where we get a small settlement on top of new copies of titles that are defective. Myself i've been taking out defective titles from public library and making copies and also making copies of mine that havent failed yet. The ones I cant get, I purchase when price is low, so far I've spent less 80.00 only one I cant get is a Tarzan title from Weismuller vol 2. Not in the mood to go through BS with Sherri and the stooges at Warners especially at this time when nobody knows whats what.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Too bad we cant get a class action lawsuit against Warner where we get a small settlement on top of new copies of titles that are defective. Myself i've been taking out defective titles from public library and making copies and also making copies of mine that havent failed yet. The ones I cant get, I purchase when price is low, so far I've spent less 80.00 only one I cant get is a Tarzan title from Weismuller vol 2. Not in the mood to go through BS with Sherri and the stooges at Warners especially at this time when nobody knows whats what.
I blame that last bit on the effects of the pandemic. My experiences with Sherri Bogard have always been very pleasant, which mirrors that of most others who post here! The only time she couldn't help me was with the Stooges, and even in that case, I did eventually get a replacement disc! :)

CHEERS! :)

Movie Maven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
ed
I blame that last bit on the effects of the pandemic. My experiences with Sherri Bogard have always been very pleasant, which mirrors that of most others who post here! The only time she couldn't help me was with the Stooges, and even in that case, I did eventually get a replacement disc! :)

CHEERS! :)
I was lucky with Gold Raiders ....library copy worked

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks