Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I don't know which version you have.

I had the dvd version which came in a grey plastic briefcase, with some additional toy trinkets. Recently I checked the discs on the computer, where there were no problems showing up at all.

In contrast, what was completely different was I played the final cut movie disc on a 20 year old standalone dvd player, and it was skipping like crazy. Watching the same disc on the computer dvd drive, nothing funny happened at all.

Go figure.
The dvd version I have is in a black cardboard slipcase (embossed) with an inner unfolding, cardboard-backed, four-disc case. No trinkets, no toys. Package design & supplementary material compilation, copyright 2007.

I started checking my discs on my 4K player, but on advice from this forum, I switched to checking on my PC, and used VSO Inspector to do surface scans. I checked Blade Runner with the PC.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The random weirdness between different standaone dvd (or bluray) players, and even different computer dvd drives, is what makes dvd playback very frustrating to deal with.

I've had dvd discs which play fine on one computer drive, but is problematic on a different computer dvd drive from a different manufacturer.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The dvd version I have is in a black cardboard slipcase (embossed) with an inner unfolding, cardboard-backed, four-disc case. No trinkets, no toys. Package design & supplementary material compilation, copyright 2007.
I wasn't really shopping for dvds in those days. (I only started buying a lot of dvds in 2011). Though from looking at photos online and from what I can remember, it sounds like your copy was the general wide release.

IIRC there was also 2-disc version, which I found years later at a dollar store.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Today I received my replacement discs from Sherri of the Errol Flynn Vol. 2 collection. The defective discs in my collection were The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Dive Bomber & Gentleman Jim (Don Juan was fine). The only hitch was that she sent me the earlier Howard Hawks version of The Dawn Patrol instead of the Flynn version. Apparently, Warner Archive doesn't offer it any longer?

I expected to just get discs in envelopes, but they included the DVD cases and artwork. I took a look at The Charge of the Light Brigade on my computer. It is a dual-layer MOD and includes all the "Warner Night at the Movies" extras, which I was really hoping for.

My Popeye Volume 1 DVD has bitten the dust, but Sherri said they won't replace it because I bought it (new) from a third party seller on Amazon. I ordered a used one from ebay which I hope will play. Will do the same for The Dawn Patrol.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Today I received my replacement discs from Sherri of the Errol Flynn Vol. 2 collection. The defective discs in my collection were The Charge of the Light Brigade, The Dawn Patrol, Dive Bomber & Gentleman Jim (Don Juan was fine). The only hitch was that she sent me the earlier Howard Hawks version of The Dawn Patrol instead of the Flynn version. Apparently, Warner Archive doesn't offer it any longer?

I expected to just get discs in envelopes, but they included the DVD cases and artwork. I took a look at The Charge of the Light Brigade on my computer. It is a dual-layer MOD and includes all the "Warner Night at the Movies" extras, which I was really hoping for.

My Popeye Volume 1 DVD has bitten the dust, but Sherri said they won't replace it because I bought it (new) from a third party seller on Amazon. I ordered a used one from ebay which I hope will play. Will do the same for The Dawn Patrol.
It may help to give her a picture of the cover of the version you speak of, for better clarification. That is what I did when I inquired to her about my Wally Gator set.

~Ben

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
My Popeye Volume 1 DVD has bitten the dust, but Sherri said they won't replace it because I bought it (new) from a third party seller on Amazon.
That may seem arbitrary but there is a reason for it. Those third party sellers are buying unsold inventory from studio/retailer liquidators for pennies on the dollar, with the stock sold “as is”. The remedy there is to reach out to the third party seller for a replacement or refund.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That may seem arbitrary but there is a reason for it. Those third party sellers are buying unsold inventory from studio/retailer liquidators for pennies on the dollar, with the stock sold “as is”. The remedy there is to reach out to the third party seller for a replacement or refund.
I bought the set in 2011. I did not remember that it was a third party sale until I pulled up the Amazon receipt Sherri asked for, At that point I expected it to be rejected. I told Sherri I was fine with it. I just thought that rule should be known to others with defective discs.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
I got a big box of replacement disks from Sherri yesterday. All of the bad discs that were still in print, though most now only from the Archive. Even a Blu-ray version of The Pirate to replace my DVD version. Though I hate that the discs went bad (I even feel a little violated), I'm so grateful that Sherri is there to do what she can to rectify the problem. She's been at Warner for a long time now. I hope they realize how much PR value she adds and how much better we feel about the company because of her.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sherri is the best. Besides these recent Errol Flynn discs, she has replaced the The Bishop's Wife with an authoring error and The Right Stuff when it was issued without the advertised high-res sound. It is amazing that she keeps up with all our replacement orders.

Incidentally, I ordered a MOD version of Popeye Vol. One during Warner Archive's current sale.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco