Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I attempted to watch Roberta (1935) with Astaire & Rogers but alas, after about 10 minutes it started to freeze and sputter. Another one bites the dust :angry:
Yeah, I think I mentioned Roberta several pages back. If I didn't, I should have. I had mine replaced.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It's been a bit since Robert posted this. But...I recently made the time to go through my copy of this set (Errol Flynn Signature Collection, Volume 2). I dug out an old portable Sony DVD player that I set up on my office desk. The remote wasn't working, so I had limited options in playing discs, so I basically just chapter-skipped through the movies and didn't bother with the extras. Four out of the five played with no problems. The Charge of the Light Brigade, though, froze during a chapter skip. Tried it a few times, but no go.

Some time later, I decided to try it on another player. Actually, on another two players. One's a region-free LG BD player, the other an LG 4K BD player. Brigade played fine on both. No doubt the LGs have better error correction than the Sony portable.

I still have a boatload of discs to check. I had checked about a dozen or so a ways back, and all of them were fine. But I did those on the LG 4K. So I suppose I should check everything on that player going forward. I might experiment with a couple of other older decks I have around first, though.
This goes to show that every manufacturer had their own dvd player/drive design, which differs slightly from one another.

The original dvd design, doesn't appear to have a definitive spec for how to exactly read a dvd disc.

Reactions: Richard M S

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I attempted to watch Vincente Minnelli's 1949 film of Madame Bovary tonight. Alas, it froze at chapter 19 and would play no further. Unfortunately, the disc is out of print. It's not even available as a Warner Archives MOD. e-bay came to the rescue as I just ordered a TCM Greatest Classics: Literary Adaptations for $12.00. It's also out of print. It's used but the seller says the discs (other titles in the set are Anna Karenina, Little Women, Pride And Prejudice) are in excellent condition and he has a 100% rate approval so I'll hope for the best. I believe those TCM collections come from different pressings so it should be okay.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
I attempted to watch Vincente Minnelli's 1949 film of Madame Bovary tonight. Alas, it froze at chapter 19 and would play no further. Unfortunately, the disc is out of print. It's not even available as a Warner Archives MOD. e-bay came to the rescue as I just ordered a TCM Greatest Classics: Literary Adaptations for $12.00. It's also out of print. It's used but the seller says the discs (other titles in the set are Anna Karenina, Little Women, Pride And Prejudice) are in excellent condition and he has a 100% rate approval so I'll hope for the best. I believe those TCM collections come from different pressings so it should be okay.
There are two ways that you can tell by just examining the case that you are likely dealing with a newer pressing. First, it will likely be in one of those supposedly eco-friendly cases (the ones with big chunks of plastic not present). Second, it may have a "Made in Mexico" sticker on it.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I wanted to let you know Sherri finally got back to me regarding my defective Wally Gator DVDs, and she told me I should get my replacements sometime next week and to test them out. She also encouraged me to just destroy the old one without returning it.

~Ben
I too, have finally heard from Sherri Bogard regarding my replacement DVD for The Three Stooges Double Feature set:

Hi Tony:

I am in the process of ordering and sending you the [
GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON Double Feature 2006 DVD] replacement. As this will go out via courier, may I also please get your phone number.

Thank you,
Sherri

Ironically, I had been talking to a friend earlier this evening and had mentioned that this disc set was slated to be a replacement, but had accepted I probably wouldn't be receiving it for a long time, and perhaps not ever, due to the ongoing pandemic, and the unpredictability in regards to if or when certain titles may go out of print! Then afterwards, I checked my Emails from the latter part of Thursday and found the above message from Sherri!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

One might suggest that "Gold" had been finally struck!! ;)

CHEERS! :)

cdirks

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Dirks
I have seen various posts (on Nitrateville and Home Theater Forum) about a “high failure rate” of Warner Home Video (WHV) DVDs, including many classic films. People describe DVDs that freeze, or don’t load properly -- listing a few random titles that have shown problems. So far, I have not seen (and Warner Home Video has not provided) any comprehensive list of DVD box sets and film titles that show these readability issues due to defective double-layer DVD manufacturing. First, we learned that nitrate films deteriorate over time ... now we learn that quite a few classic film DVDs will do the same!!

As a result of reading these posts, I decided to look into this issue more closely, specifically because I have a large collection of predominantly classic Hollywood films and have been adding to it from the earliest days - which means I bought all the early box sets (in the mid-2000’s) which over time have become unreadable. I sought to determine the exact nature of the problem, what titles are affected, when the issue began – and when it was (finally) discovered and steps were taken to improve quality control (regarding double-layer DVDs) and DVD pressings were (once again, in general) error-free. I also focused on finding and obtaining pressed DVDs of the affected titles that did NOT show the read-errors.

I discovered that – over time –double-layer pressings of many WHV releases from mid-to-late 2006 through mid-2008 begin to show read-error issues/problems and “come apart internally” … the double-layer transition deteriorates. DVDs PRIOR to this time period, and AFTER this time period, do not (generally) show read errors. I’ve surmised that Warner Home Video used a specific manufacturing plant during this period of time and likely used faulty/defective double-layer DVD materials. At some point (sometime in mid-2008), WHV apparently stopped using that facility.

Read-errors occur usually (and specifically) at the double-layer break. Sometimes, this renders the DVD unloadable from the very start. Other times, the DVD will load and the film/feature will play fine all the way through … however, the “Special Features” (which can be selected from the menu) will not play (the film/feature will play instead). Other times, the “Special Features” play, but the film/feature (though it starts fine) will FREEZE about 1 hour 40 minutes into it. I guess it depends upon the specific location of the DL defect (whether it is in the first layer or the second). Many box sets are affected, particularly those from 2006-2008 with slim cases, though quite a few individual DVD releases are also problematic. Single-layer pressings do not seem to be affected. The numerous 2006-2008 DVDs that fail read-error tests usually have one or more of the following numbers etched on the underside inner ring: IFPI L906 or IFPI L907 or IFPI L908.

My test procedure: I have tested DVD after DVD using a desktop computer and two software programs. The first software that looks at the disc (AnyDVD) removes all computer DVD drive limitations so it will load/play any DVD properly. It also does a fast scan of the DVD to determine if there are major read-error issues. Often, that is enough to determine a DVD’s playability. If a DVD passes AnyDVD’s initial scan, then I run the other software program on the disc – DVDInfoPro – which does a sector-by-sector scan of the entire DVD, which ALWAYS reveals any/all read errors. Typical scans of a DVD can run from about 5 minutes to 10 minutes, so it is not some “quickie” scan. It gives a thorough and complete picture of the readability of the DVD in question.

I have extensive notes on each and every WHV DVD in my collection that I’ve tested. Here are a few titles (and release dates) of box sets that have consistently bad DVDs (they ALL have L906/L907/L908 IFPI #s, as I mentioned previously) – 2007 is the worst year of all:

Complete Thin Man Collection (August 2, 2005)
James Stewart The Signature Collection (August 15, 2006)
Humphrey Bogart The Signature Collection Vol 2 (October 3, 2006)
Motion Picture Masterpieces (October 10, 2006)
Hollywood’s Legends of Horror Collection (October 10, 2006)
Astaire and Rogers - The Complete Film Collection (October 24, 2006) – particularly “Flying Down to Rio”
Gary Cooper The Signature Collection (November 7, 2006) – particularly “The Fountainhead” and “The Wreck of the Mary Deare”
Robert Mitchum The Signature Collection (January 23, 2007)
Literary Classics Collection (March 6, 2007)
Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol #2 (March 27, 2007)
James Cagney The Signature Collection (April 24, 2007)
Lucille Ball Film Collection (June 19, 2007)
Esther Williams [Collection] Vol #1 (July 17, 2007)
Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol #2 (July 24, 2007)
Popeye the Sailor - 1933-1938 (July 31, 2007)
Film Noir Collection Vol #4 (July 31, 2007)
Myrna Loy / William Powell Collection (not Thin Man) (August 7, 2007)
Judy Garland / Mickey Rooney Collection (9/25/2007) – had to get a “Made in Canada” set to get good DVDs
Burt Lancaster Signature Collection (October 23, 2007)
Barbara Stanwyck Signature Collection (October 30, 2007)
Joan Crawford Collection Vol #2 (February 12, 2008)
Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol #2 (March 4, 2008)
Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol #3 (April 8, 2008)

The 2006-2008 releases listed above are most problematic – all of which show the IFPI 906-908 #s. There are at least 30 or so individual DVD releases as well that often have problems, including these titles: “Best Foot Forward” (1943), “Presenting Lily Mars” (1943), “Angels in the Outfield” (1951), “The Clock” (1945), “Reunion in France” (1942), “Command Decision” (1948), “The Big Cube” (1969), “The Prodigal” (1955), “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” (1935), “The Jazz Singer” (1927) - the 2007 3-DVD set, and 2007 releases of Stanley Kubrick films (the “Directors Series” box set).

Now the good news:

Later releases of some of these 2006-2008 box sets (and later releases of their individual titles) that look exactly the same as the earlier pressings are consistently read-error free; they show these “good” numbers: IFPI LV76 or IFPI LV77 or IFPI L779 or IFPI L780. Also showing NO read errors are the 2012 re-releases of some of these box sets in slightly different packaging; these later re-issues often appear in slimmer multi-disc cases (for example, the 2012 re-issue of the “Complete Thin Man Collection” or the 2012 re-issue of 2007’s “Katharine Hepburn 100th Anniversary Collection”). Some later error-free DVD pressings (identical but with “good” numbers) can also be found in various TCM compilation re-releases (c. 2010-2015) in the years that follow 2008; typically, these releases contain 4 DVDs titled “Greatest Classic Films” or “Greatest Classic Legends”.

[Note: More good news ... 2006-2008 DVDs (and box sets) that are stamped “Made in Canada” (or “Made in Mexico”) do NOT show the read-error problems. My discussion above focuses entirely on pressed DVDs, not the “MOD” (made-on-demand) releases that appear after 2009.]

I hope my examination of this defective DVD issue has been helpful to everyone. [Please note that my conclusions are entirely my own, based upon my extensive research.]

Christopher Dirks

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have a few of these sets, and knock on my head, but they have all been OK. They were either purchased in Canada, or the Buffalo area, so perhaps they are from a different pressing plant.

I bought the individual DVDs of the Astaire/Rogers movies, and was distressed to discover later, that if you bought the boxed set, you got an extra DVD with a documentary about them. I wrote to Warner’s, and for a modest price, they sent me the packaging for the set, plus the extra disc. When it came I put my discs in the slim cases in the boxed set.

• Insightful
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
I have seen various posts (on Nitrateville and Home Theater Forum) about a “high failure rate” of Warner Home Video (WHV) DVDs, including many classic films. People describe DVDs that freeze, or don’t load properly -- listing a few random titles that have shown problems. So far, I have not seen (and Warner Home Video has not provided) any comprehensive list of DVD box sets and film titles that show these readability issues due to defective double-layer DVD manufacturing. First, we learned that nitrate films deteriorate over time ... now we learn that quite a few classic film DVDs will do the same!!

As a result of reading these posts, I decided to look into this issue more closely, specifically because I have a large collection of predominantly classic Hollywood films and have been adding to it from the earliest days - which means I bought all the early box sets (in the mid-2000’s) which over time have become unreadable. I sought to determine the exact nature of the problem, what titles are affected, when the issue began – and when it was (finally) discovered and steps were taken to improve quality control (regarding double-layer DVDs) and DVD pressings were (once again, in general) error-free. I also focused on finding and obtaining pressed DVDs of the affected titles that did NOT show the read-errors.

I discovered that – over time –double-layer pressings of many WHV releases from mid-to-late 2006 through mid-2008 begin to show read-error issues/problems and “come apart internally” … the double-layer transition deteriorates. DVDs PRIOR to this time period, and AFTER this time period, do not (generally) show read errors. I’ve surmised that Warner Home Video used a specific manufacturing plant during this period of time and likely used faulty/defective double-layer DVD materials. At some point (sometime in mid-2008), WHV apparently stopped using that facility.

Read-errors occur usually (and specifically) at the double-layer break. Sometimes, this renders the DVD unloadable from the very start. Other times, the DVD will load and the film/feature will play fine all the way through … however, the “Special Features” (which can be selected from the menu) will not play (the film/feature will play instead). Other times, the “Special Features” play, but the film/feature (though it starts fine) will FREEZE about 1 hour 40 minutes into it. I guess it depends upon the specific location of the DL defect (whether it is in the first layer or the second). Many box sets are affected, particularly those from 2006-2008 with slim cases, though quite a few individual DVD releases are also problematic. Single-layer pressings do not seem to be affected. The numerous 2006-2008 DVDs that fail read-error tests usually have one or more of the following numbers etched on the underside inner ring: IFPI L906 or IFPI L907 or IFPI L908.

My test procedure: I have tested DVD after DVD using a desktop computer and two software programs. The first software that looks at the disc (AnyDVD) removes all computer DVD drive limitations so it will load/play any DVD properly. It also does a fast scan of the DVD to determine if there are major read-error issues. Often, that is enough to determine a DVD’s playability. If a DVD passes AnyDVD’s initial scan, then I run the other software program on the disc – DVDInfoPro – which does a sector-by-sector scan of the entire DVD, which ALWAYS reveals any/all read errors. Typical scans of a DVD can run from about 5 minutes to 10 minutes, so it is not some “quickie” scan. It gives a thorough and complete picture of the readability of the DVD in question.

I have extensive notes on each and every WHV DVD in my collection that I’ve tested. Here are a few titles (and release dates) of box sets that have consistently bad DVDs (they ALL have L906/L907/L908 IFPI #s, as I mentioned previously) – 2007 is the worst year of all:

Complete Thin Man Collection (August 2, 2005)
James Stewart The Signature Collection (August 15, 2006)
Humphrey Bogart The Signature Collection Vol 2 (October 3, 2006)
Motion Picture Masterpieces (October 10, 2006)
Hollywood’s Legends of Horror Collection (October 10, 2006)
Astaire and Rogers - The Complete Film Collection (October 24, 2006) – particularly “Flying Down to Rio”
Gary Cooper The Signature Collection (November 7, 2006) – particularly “The Fountainhead” and “The Wreck of the Mary Deare”
Robert Mitchum The Signature Collection (January 23, 2007)
Literary Classics Collection (March 6, 2007)
Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol #2 (March 27, 2007)
James Cagney The Signature Collection (April 24, 2007)
Lucille Ball Film Collection (June 19, 2007)
Esther Williams [Collection] Vol #1 (July 17, 2007)
Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol #2 (July 24, 2007)
Popeye the Sailor - 1933-1938 (July 31, 2007)
Film Noir Collection Vol #4 (July 31, 2007)
Myrna Loy / William Powell Collection (not Thin Man) (August 7, 2007)
Judy Garland / Mickey Rooney Collection (9/25/2007) – had to get a “Made in Canada” set to get good DVDs
Burt Lancaster Signature Collection (October 23, 2007)
Barbara Stanwyck Signature Collection (October 30, 2007)
Joan Crawford Collection Vol #2 (February 12, 2008)
Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol #2 (March 4, 2008)
Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory Vol #3 (April 8, 2008)

The 2006-2008 releases listed above are most problematic – all of which show the IFPI 906-908 #s. There are at least 30 or so individual DVD releases as well that often have problems, including these titles: “Best Foot Forward” (1943), “Presenting Lily Mars” (1943), “Angels in the Outfield” (1951), “The Clock” (1945), “Reunion in France” (1942), “Command Decision” (1948), “The Big Cube” (1969), “The Prodigal” (1955), “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” (1935), “The Jazz Singer” (1927) - the 2007 3-DVD set, and 2007 releases of Stanley Kubrick films (the “Directors Series” box set).

Now the good news:

Later releases of some of these 2006-2008 box sets (and later releases of their individual titles) that look exactly the same as the earlier pressings are consistently read-error free; they show these “good” numbers: IFPI LV76 or IFPI LV77 or IFPI L779 or IFPI L780. Also showing NO read errors are the 2012 re-releases of some of these box sets in slightly different packaging; these later re-issues often appear in slimmer multi-disc cases (for example, the 2012 re-issue of the “Complete Thin Man Collection” or the 2012 re-issue of 2007’s “Katharine Hepburn 100th Anniversary Collection”). Some later error-free DVD pressings (identical but with “good” numbers) can also be found in various TCM compilation re-releases (c. 2010-2015) in the years that follow 2008; typically, these releases contain 4 DVDs titled “Greatest Classic Films” or “Greatest Classic Legends”.

[Note: More good news ... 2006-2008 DVDs (and box sets) that are stamped “Made in Canada” (or “Made in Mexico”) do NOT show the read-error problems. My discussion above focuses entirely on pressed DVDs, not the “MOD” (made-on-demand) releases that appear after 2009.]

I hope my examination of this defective DVD issue has been helpful to everyone. [Please note that my conclusions are entirely my own, based upon my extensive research.]

Christopher Dirks
This is VERY helpful, thanks.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
A very interesting post. Your Thin Man Collection might be from a ca. 2006-2008 repressing which would explain its defectiveness. My copy from 2005 is among the most heavily replayed DVD sets in my collection and gets several viewings a year, and I can tell you all of the discs plays perfectly. On the other hand, I have experienced quite a few casualties from your list, and I still need to get with Sherri about getting them replaced.

One set not mentioned in your list is the Classic Comedy Teams collection. The original pressing of the Three Stooges double feature (Meet the Baron/Gold Raiders) may be one of the most defective DVDs ever produced. It's almost comical reading reviews of the features on various websites like the IMDB and seeing an abundance of comments like "I couldn't watch the film because the rental DVD stopped playing." I really wonder if anyone still has a playable copy from the initial pressing.

cdirks

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Dirks
A very interesting post. Your Thin Man Collection might be from a ca. 2006-2008 repressing which would explain its defectiveness. My copy from 2005 is among the most heavily replayed DVD sets in my collection and gets several viewings a year, and I can tell you all of the discs plays perfectly. On the other hand, I have experienced quite a few casualties from your list, and I still need to get with Sherri about getting them replaced.

One set not mentioned in your list is the Classic Comedy Teams collection. The original pressing of the Three Stooges double feature (Meet the Baron/Gold Raiders) may be one of the most defective DVDs ever produced. It's almost comical reading reviews of the features on various websites like the IMDB and seeing an abundance of comments like "I couldn't watch the film because the rental DVD stopped playing." I really wonder if anyone still has a playable copy from the initial pressing.
Arthur, I did not list the "Classic Comedy Teams Collection". Can't have everything, you know! Yes, there are certain titles that are (near) impossible to obtain. I still can't get a good copy of "Best Foot Forward" (1943), or "The Divorcée" (1930) / "A Free Soul" (1931), The slim case collections are rampant with problems - such as the "Film Noir Collection Vol #4". Other seriously problematic sets include "Esther Williams [Collection] Vol #1, the "Judy Garland / Mickey Rooney Collection", and the "Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol #2".

You may be right about my Thin Man Collection. In fact, in my notes, I wrote that there may have been an undocumented 2007 re-issue of the 2005 set. If you want a good set, either get the 2012 release (in a single multi-disc case) or get 4 of the 6 titles from the 2011 TCM release. The first title in the set, "The Thin Man" is a single-layer DVD -- which I found were not (obviously) affected by the double-layer deterioration issues.

Some further comments about what I did next and how Warner Home Video responded to me when I got in touch with Sherri Bogard:

Back at the end of June, I got in touch with Sherri Bogard, who handles the replacement of defective DVDs at Warner Home Video (WHV). By email, I told her about my initial examination of WHV DVDs that proved to be defective. In my e-mail, I asked her this:

Wondering if you have a MASTER LIST of all the collections/DVDs that have been reported and are known to be problematic. If you could, please share with me. And what is WHV’s position regarding replacement and/or refunding costs regarding known defective DVDs c. 2007?

She wrote back:

I am sorry to say that we do not have a master list that contains the information that you are asking for. As for returns/refunds, we do exchange product that is deemed defective (depending on where the sets were purchased from), but would not offer a refund for it if it was not purchased through our WB Shop or Warner Archive site.

In late July, I did finally speak to her, but I didn’t get the feeling that I was going to get any definitive answers to my questions -- or if replacements would be easily obtained for the many, many bad DVDs I had already discovered in my collection (the count is now about 200). I am quite sure, if I could even find the receipts, that the majority of my 2006-2008 purchases were not made at WB Shop (I did purchase MOD DVDs there, but that was later). I offered to send her all the defective DVDs I had discovered; she said for me to destroy them, not send them to her.

Over a number of months, I went ahead, at great expense, to replace all the bad DVDs in my possession after extensive testing of all the suspect titles/releases. I am pleased with the fact that I've been successful -- with the exception of only a few titles which are still elusive.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Arthur, I did not list the "Classic Comedy Teams Collection". Can't have everything, you know! Yes, there are certain titles that are (near) impossible to obtain. I still can't get a good copy of "Best Foot Forward" (1943), or "The Divorcée" (1930) / "A Free Soul" (1931), The slim case collections are rampant with problems - such as the "Film Noir Collection Vol #4". Other seriously problematic sets include "Esther Williams [Collection] Vol #1, the "Judy Garland / Mickey Rooney Collection", and the "Forbidden Hollywood Collection Vol #2".

You may be right about my Thin Man Collection. In fact, in my notes, I wrote that there may have been an undocumented 2007 re-issue of the 2005 set. If you want a good set, either get the 2012 release (in a single multi-disc case) or get 4 of the 6 titles from the 2011 TCM release. The first title in the set, "The Thin Man" is a single-layer DVD -- which I found were not (obviously) affected by the double-layer deterioration issues.

Some further comments about what I did next and how Warner Home Video responded to me when I got in touch with Sherri Bogard:

Back at the end of June, I got in touch with Sherri Bogard, who handles the replacement of defective DVDs at Warner Home Video (WHV). By email, I told her about my initial examination of WHV DVDs that proved to be defective. In my e-mail, I asked her this:

Wondering if you have a MASTER LIST of all the collections/DVDs that have been reported and are known to be problematic. If you could, please share with me. And what is WHV’s position regarding replacement and/or refunding costs regarding known defective DVDs c. 2007?

She wrote back:

I am sorry to say that we do not have a master list that contains the information that you are asking for. As for returns/refunds, we do exchange product that is deemed defective (depending on where the sets were purchased from), but would not offer a refund for it if it was not purchased through our WB Shop or Warner Archive site.

In late July, I did finally speak to her, but I didn’t get the feeling that I was going to get any definitive answers to my questions -- or if replacements would be easily obtained for the many, many bad DVDs I had already discovered in my collection (the count is now about 200). I am quite sure, if I could even find the receipts, that the majority of my 2006-2008 purchases were not made at WB Shop (I did purchase MOD DVDs there, but that was later). I offered to send her all the defective DVDs I had discovered; she said for me to destroy them, not send them to her.

Over a number of months, I went ahead, at great expense, to replace all the bad DVDs in my possession after extensive testing of all the suspect titles/releases. I am pleased with the fact that I've been successful -- with the exception of only a few titles which are still elusive.
Here's an interesting one. Around 2007 or 2008, I picked up a copies of the 1937 film The Prince and the Pauper and Splendor in the Grass from Costco. They were in snapper cases so I figured they were old stock as WB hadn't used those type of cases for several years at that point. Guess what? They have both rotted on me. I'm guessing that WB repressed those discs at the problematic plant and used left-over snapper cases. Weird to say the least. I do recall seeing The Thin Man collection at Costco during that same time period so there likely was a repressing then.

So Sherri will only replace defective discs now if they were purchased through Warner affiliated shops? How can they expect me to keep roughly 15 year old receipts especially since the discs did play correctly back then?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Warner will replace discs if they’re in print and you can prove you have it - a photo of the disc has always been fine from my end.

What they will not do is issue cash refunds for discs that they didn’t sell.

They’re not saying they won’t replace a ten year old disc you got at Best Buy. They’re saying they won’t give you cash for it.

cdirks

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Dirks

Arthur, after you brought up the "Classic Comedy Teams" box set, I went looking for the 2 double feature DVDs in the set that I didn't already have (I had the Laurel & Hardy DF, which tested OK). I picked up both of the others, including the Three Stooges one, and both tested OK - and they weren't the Warner Archive MOD DVD-Rs. Two of the three were "Made in Canada". So yes, the box set is usually problematic, but individually, the 3 "singles" can be obtained in playable condition.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Arthur, after you brought up the "Classic Comedy Teams" box set, I went looking for the 2 double feature DVDs in the set that I didn't already have (I had the Laurel & Hardy DF, which tested OK). I picked up both of the others, including the Three Stooges one, and both tested OK - and they weren't the Warner Archive MOD DVD-Rs. Two of the three were "Made in Canada". So yes, the box set is usually problematic, but individually, the 3 "singles" can be obtained in playable condition.
Yep, I know that first hand. In fact, I have mentioned in this thread before if you can find a "Made in Mexico" sticker and the eco-friendly type case (the one with the big holes in it), then you should be ok. I still would be curious to know if any of the confirmed 2006 pressings are still playable. It's probably likely. After all, there are still Ford Pintos on the road.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
Since it had been mentioned before (it might've been at The Other Website), I went through my Forbidden Hollywood Volume 1, and everything played fine. Also, I've been on a Shirley Temple kick recently (trying to make sure I had all of her Fox films -- at least the ones released on DVD) and watched my Warner DVDs of The Story of Seabiscuit and The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer and both were also problem-free. Bachelor was from the Cary Grant Signature Collection, though I confess that I broke up the set to be able to trade in individual films that have been upgraded to Blu-ray.

Since I recently got a used copy of the second Fox Cinema Classics Collection Laurel & Hardy box set, I'll be watching that and re-watching the first set, and will probably watch the TCM Archives set to make sure that's still working OK.

cdirks

Auditioning
Real Name
Christopher Dirks
Since it had been mentioned before (it might've been at The Other Website), I went through my Forbidden Hollywood Volume 1, and everything played fine. Also, I've been on a Shirley Temple kick recently (trying to make sure I had all of her Fox films -- at least the ones released on DVD) and watched my Warner DVDs of The Story of Seabiscuit and The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer and both were also problem-free. Bachelor was from the Cary Grant Signature Collection, though I confess that I broke up the set to be able to trade in individual films that have been upgraded to Blu-ray.

Since I recently got a used copy of the second Fox Cinema Classics Collection Laurel & Hardy box set, I'll be watching that and re-watching the first set, and will probably watch the TCM Archives set to make sure that's still working OK.
Jayembee, the first volume of Forbidden Hollywood (Dec 2006 release) is not the one to worry about (surprisingly, I tested numerous DVDs from the set and they were all OK); it is the second volume that is (almost always) problematic. In the last few months, I have ordered and returned the set EIGHT times from Amazon Marketplace sellers -- and many of the sets were BRAND NEW. As to the other ones you mention, "Seabiscuit" is single-layer DVD, so doesn't show the double-layer problem; "Bachelor" is a 2004 release, so is "out of range". Pay attention to the 2006-2008 double-layer releases if you are trying to ferret out the bad ones.

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit
This may have been posted before, so I apologize if this question has been answered before, but there are 34 pages to go through.

Anyhow, I'm just starting to pull my head out of the sand and start looking for problem DVDs that I own. Thanks for the lists of problematic DVDs and DVD sets. I already concur with the Astaire/Rogers set and the first Esther Williams set.

My question is, is there an easy and quick way to determine whether your discs are bad? I've been FF'ing through at 5x speed and think I've caught the problems. But maybe not? But that still takes a while. Is there a way to scan them on a PC and get an immediate answer? Will scanning faster (6x or more) reveal problems or just skip over them?

Any advice or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huzaifa