Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I attempted to watch Roberta (1935) with Astaire & Rogers but alas, after about 10 minutes it started to freeze and sputter. Another one bites the dust :angry:
Yeah, I think I mentioned Roberta several pages back. If I didn't, I should have. I had mine replaced.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
My original DVD release of East Side West Side played fine ! I always take a deep breath before playing their original releases in case they crap out.

Reactions: Darby67

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It's been a bit since Robert posted this. But...I recently made the time to go through my copy of this set (Errol Flynn Signature Collection, Volume 2). I dug out an old portable Sony DVD player that I set up on my office desk. The remote wasn't working, so I had limited options in playing discs, so I basically just chapter-skipped through the movies and didn't bother with the extras. Four out of the five played with no problems. The Charge of the Light Brigade, though, froze during a chapter skip. Tried it a few times, but no go.

Some time later, I decided to try it on another player. Actually, on another two players. One's a region-free LG BD player, the other an LG 4K BD player. Brigade played fine on both. No doubt the LGs have better error correction than the Sony portable.

I still have a boatload of discs to check. I had checked about a dozen or so a ways back, and all of them were fine. But I did those on the LG 4K. So I suppose I should check everything on that player going forward. I might experiment with a couple of other older decks I have around first, though.
This goes to show that every manufacturer had their own dvd player/drive design, which differs slightly from one another.

The original dvd design, doesn't appear to have a definitive spec for how to exactly read a dvd disc.

Reactions: Richard M S

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I attempted to watch Vincente Minnelli's 1949 film of Madame Bovary tonight. Alas, it froze at chapter 19 and would play no further. Unfortunately, the disc is out of print. It's not even available as a Warner Archives MOD. e-bay came to the rescue as I just ordered a TCM Greatest Classics: Literary Adaptations for $12.00. It's also out of print. It's used but the seller says the discs (other titles in the set are Anna Karenina, Little Women, Pride And Prejudice) are in excellent condition and he has a 100% rate approval so I'll hope for the best. I believe those TCM collections come from different pressings so it should be okay.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
I attempted to watch Vincente Minnelli's 1949 film of Madame Bovary tonight. Alas, it froze at chapter 19 and would play no further. Unfortunately, the disc is out of print. It's not even available as a Warner Archives MOD. e-bay came to the rescue as I just ordered a TCM Greatest Classics: Literary Adaptations for $12.00. It's also out of print. It's used but the seller says the discs (other titles in the set are Anna Karenina, Little Women, Pride And Prejudice) are in excellent condition and he has a 100% rate approval so I'll hope for the best. I believe those TCM collections come from different pressings so it should be okay.
There are two ways that you can tell by just examining the case that you are likely dealing with a newer pressing. First, it will likely be in one of those supposedly eco-friendly cases (the ones with big chunks of plastic not present). Second, it may have a "Made in Mexico" sticker on it.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimlove