Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

azjazzman

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Great hearing from you, John!

1. I haven't had any trouble at all with my Warner Archive DVD-Rs after that original pressing problem at the very start of the program. I find the DVD-Rs much more reliable than Warner's pressed discs and pressed discs in general.

2. No opinion but I haven't had any issues.
Hey, Rob

1. This seems to be the consensus from what I am hearing. It is ironic to me that the dreaded DVD-Rs that a lot of collectors were convinced were going to rot in short order are the ones that are rot free and some of the pressed discs are showing problems. I've always figured I would rot before my DVD-Rs do anyway.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Simple answers for all of this :
1) WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION = MOD - just go to their website WBShop.com and you will see what they carry. They have re-released a lot of their catalog titles in MOD format. And they are identical to those releases. I bet some of their MOD releases happened because of this thread and how the old releases stopped working properly.
2) Solution : make the exchange for the re-released titles you want, some are pressed discs while others on MOD, so you are not buying the same titles again - you are exchanging titles for FREE. The entire process is free, including mailing back the old discs! Sherri will mail you a pre-paid Fex Ex return label, and all you do is drop the package off to Fed Ex. Keep the receipt for the tracking number.

FYI I have In this Our Life on MOD and no problems after two playbacks

Last edited:
Reactions: Tony Bensley

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I emailed Sherry yesterday about those Errol Flynn Vol. 2 discs and requested MOD replacements. Waiting to see what happens.

Interestingly, of the 5 discs in that set, my Adventures of Don Juan is the only one that still plays correctly. I think that was the one title most people had problems with? All the others freeze at the chapter 20 mark.

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
It is ironic to me that the dreaded DVD-Rs that a lot of collectors were convinced were going to rot in short order are the ones that are rot free and some of the pressed discs are showing problems. I've always figured I would rot before my DVD-Rs do anyway.
Well, to be fair, it's not that simple. If you have a DVD that bought new in 2006, then at this point it's 14 years old. And if you're only noticing right now by scanning all of your DVDs that it's rotten, you have no idea when it went bad...unless you happen to remember when the last time you watched it was.

If you get a burned DVD-R of a given title, you have no idea when it was burned. Well, with WAC, they started in 2009, so there's a limit to how old it would be. But...to use an example from my collection, I have DVD-Rs of some Wheeler & Woolsey films that were originally issued in 2010 (according to the copyright on the discs). But I didn't buy them in 2010. According to my records, I bought them in 2014. So they are at least six years old, but depending on when they were burned, they could be a few years older. But if one ordered them today, they might've been burned within the last year or so.

Now, I agree with you that they probably have a longer lifetime than people believe they do. And that's likely because QC on DVD-R media has gotten increasingly better over the past 20 years. But still, there's no real data for failure rate of DVD-Rs. At least, none that I've seen. Once MODs that were burned and sold 10 years ago get to the age of 14 or 15, we might have a better idea of their failure rate.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I started buying WB MOD discs when they opened shop in 2009. I recently ripped my entire DVD collection to a home theater PC and in that process I can tell you I had multiple failures for pressed discs regardless of studio or manufacturer, and zero instances of failures for burned discs.

I also ripped my library of homemade discs (home movies and the like) that were burned to disc circa 1999-2002, and 100% of them played fine. I also ripped my library of homemade CD-Rs from the mid-90s and there were zero failures.

The overwhelming majority of disc failures I’ve experienced have been related to the glue between layers failing, a problem that burned discs don’t have to contend with.

azjazzman

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I started buying WB MOD discs when they opened shop in 2009. I recently ripped my entire DVD collection to a home theater PC and in that process I can tell you I had multiple failures for pressed discs regardless of studio or manufacturer, and zero instances of failures for burned discs.

I also ripped my library of homemade discs (home movies and the like) that were burned to disc circa 1999-2002, and 100% of them played fine. I also ripped my library of homemade CD-Rs from the mid-90s and there were zero failures.

The overwhelming majority of disc failures I’ve experienced have been related to the glue between layers failing, a problem that burned discs don’t have to contend with.
Just some quick observations. First of all your input is invaluable in trying to get my arms around this issue. FWIW, I have made back up copies of literally thousands of commercial DVDs and DVD-Rs. I have had some failures with DVDs but none so far with DVD-Rs, so my experience matches up with yours.

The LaserDisc "laser rot' issue was caused by the application of substandard adhesives that were used to join the two aluminum halves of the disc together. That allowed air to get in and oxygen would corrode the pitted aluminum layer underneath that activated the laser to transmit video.

My understanding is that the manufacture of DVDs is somewhat different. The outer layer of plastic is created by a combination of injection molding and thermoforming (heat) techniques and does not involve adhesive. Thermoforming of plastic *can* result in a slightly brittle product, especially at colder temperatures. That is why I was wondering if there was some kind of mechanical stress (flexing) that could potentially compromise the plastic. It's a long shot, but worth investigating. The people who manufacture these discs must have some idea why a select number of them are failing, since they clearly seem to be from a specific time frame. I hope those affected will keep up the pressure to force a light to be shined on this.

Thanks for all the input. Very interesting an helpful.

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
It appears you don't quite understand what MOD means. It simply means "Manufactured on Demand". The contents, whether they be movie-only, or movie-with-a-trailer, or movie-with-a-boatload-of-extras, are manufactured -- pressed or burned -- on a more limited basis. The impression of a lot of people is that they are burned one copy at a time. That is, if you order a MOD disc, someone goes to their workstation, burns a copy, prints out a cover sheet, puts it in a case, and ships it out to you.

But it's more likely (more cost-effective) to burn a bunch of copies at once -- maybe a couple of hundred rather than a couple of thousand. This is no different than if it was a regular DVD sold in stores. They press a few thousand copies, and when those sell out, they press more. And when those sell out, they press even more.

There have been a few times when I've ordered MOD releases from WAC. Sometimes they ship within a day (because they have some copies on hand), and sometimes they won't ship for a week (because one or more titles need to have more copies burned).

The only factor regarding content is whether or not they have an existing ISO/VOB/whatever file of a disc, or they have to author one from scratch. If the latter, they won't be inclined to put more effort into it than the movie and a menu page. And I can tell you that in those cases, the menu pages are about as basic as you can get.

One problem with box sets is that, in many cases, there's a supplemental disc that has on it a documentary -- usually one made specifically for the Turner Classic Movies channel -- about the subject of the box set (actor, director, genre). As far as I know, those discs only appear in the sets, and aren't available individually. So if the whole set is bad, that's one "extra" you aren't likely to be able to replace. But extras that are on the same disc as an individual movie that has a standalone release will be all but guaranteed to be on an MOD release of that movie.
I dont understand what you are saying.

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
That seems a bit odd, unless maybe Sherri was trying to determine whether your discs fell within the manufacturer defect window for that particular set.

In my case, I took screenshots of the DVD cover, the DVD and DVD labels, and the proof of purchase for my GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON DVD, and I also indicated it was a 2006 disc, in case any of that made any difference.

I hope that you can get things resolved to your satisfaction!

CHEERS! :)
I am upset and angry

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Well, to be fair, it's not that simple. If you have a DVD that bought new in 2006, then at this point it's 14 years old. And if you're only noticing right now by scanning all of your DVDs that it's rotten, you have no idea when it went bad...unless you happen to remember when the last time you watched it was.

If you get a burned DVD-R of a given title, you have no idea when it was burned. Well, with WAC, they started in 2009, so there's a limit to how old it would be. But...to use an example from my collection, I have DVD-Rs of some Wheeler & Woolsey films that were originally issued in 2010 (according to the copyright on the discs). But I didn't buy them in 2010. According to my records, I bought them in 2014. So they are at least six years old, but depending on when they were burned, they could be a few years older. But if one ordered them today, they might've been burned within the last year or so.

Now, I agree with you that they probably have a longer lifetime than people believe they do. And that's likely because QC on DVD-R media has gotten increasingly better over the past 20 years. But still, there's no real data for failure rate of DVD-Rs. At least, none that I've seen. Once MODs that were burned and sold 10 years ago get to the age of 14 or 15, we might have a better idea of their failure rate.
you make it sound like they get old and die.

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I emailed Sherry yesterday about those Errol Flynn Vol. 2 discs and requested MOD replacements. Waiting to see what happens.

Interestingly, of the 5 discs in that set, my Adventures of Don Juan is the only one that still plays correctly. I think that was the one title most people had problems with? All the others freeze at the chapter 20 mark.
None of mine ever work. I am so upset. She is not helping me.

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Just some quick observations. First of all your input is invaluable in trying to get my arms around this issue. FWIW, I have made back up copies of literally thousands of commercial DVDs and DVD-Rs. I have had some failures with DVDs but none so far with DVD-Rs, so my experience matches up with yours.

The LaserDisc "laser rot' issue was caused by the application of substandard adhesives that were used to join the two aluminum halves of the disc together. That allowed air to get in and oxygen would corrode the pitted aluminum layer underneath that activated the laser to transmit video.

My understanding is that the manufacture of DVDs is somewhat different. The outer layer of plastic is created by a combination of injection molding and thermoforming (heat) techniques and does not involve adhesive. Thermoforming of plastic *can* result in a slightly brittle product, especially at colder temperatures. That is why I was wondering if there was some kind of mechanical stress (flexing) that could potentially compromise the plastic. It's a long shot, but worth investigating. The people who manufacture these discs must have some idea why a select number of them are failing, since they clearly seem to be from a specific time frame. I hope those affected will keep up the pressure to force a light to be shined on this.

Thanks for all the input. Very interesting an helpful.
I just want the DVDs I don't want an R to come after it.

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Simple answers for all of this :
1) WARNER ARCHIVE COLLECTION = MOD - just go to their website WBShop.com and you will see what they carry. They have re-released a lot of their catalog titles in MOD format. And they are identical to those releases. I bet some of their MOD releases happened because of this thread and how the old releases stopped working properly.
2) Solution : make the exchange for the re-released titles you want, some are pressed discs while others on MOD, so you are not buying the same titles again - you are exchanging titles for FREE. The entire process is free, including mailing back the old discs! Sherri will mail you a pre-paid Fex Ex return label, and all you do is drop the package off to Fed Ex. Keep the receipt for the tracking number.

FYI I have In this Our Life on MOD and no problems after two playbacks
How many plays are they good for?

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I dont understand what you are saying.
I am upset and angry
you make it sound like they get old and die.
None of mine ever work. I am so upset. She is not helping me.
I just want the DVDs I don't want an R to come after it.
How many plays are they good for?
Kevin,

We're all sorry about your DVDs not playing. Most of us have encountered similar issues with various discs. We use this thread to track titles that have exhibited such problems and for discussing those issues among ourselves. We have tried to help you with Warner contact information and shared our experiences with those specific DVD titles. Unfortunately, there are times, in which some of us can't get our "discs not playing issues" resolved by Warner and it looks like you might be a victim of the same thing. With that said, your "one sentence" posts in this thread doesn't facilitate great discussion and TBH, are kind of annoying for some of us to read here. Please, stop making such posts like your previous six posts in a row because this isn't an "instant" message board. It's a discussion forum that our members use to discuss their favorite hobby which is "Home Theater" related subject matters.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Kevin,

We're all sorry about your DVDs not playing. Most of us have encountered similar issues with various discs. We use this thread to track titles that have exhibited such problems and for discussing those issues among ourselves. We have tried to help you with Warner contact information and our experiences with those specific DVD titles. Unfortunately, there are times, in which some of us can't get our "discs not playing issues" resolved by Warner and it looks like you might be a victim of the same thing. With that said, your "one sentence" posts in this thread doesn't facilitate great discussion and TBH, are kind of annoying for some of us to read here. Please, stop making such posts like your previous six posts in a row because this isn't an "instant" message board. It's a discussion forum that our members use to discuss their favorite hobby which is "Home Theater" related subject matters.
Thank you Robert for watching this fellow!

~Ben

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Sherri Bogard's supervisor? at Warner Bros., I am having a terrible time with her. She tells me one thing then in another email she changes her mind. She has me so frustrated. She has become so difficult to deal with. I want satisfaction. I have all her emails as proof. I need to work with someone who will be honest.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Sherri's supervisor will not be able to help you. If the discs you are seeking are unavailable from Warner, that's it. It doesn't matter who you talk to there. As we have explained to you, discs fall out of print from time to time. Going over Sherri's head will not change that fact. I understand that you're upset, but I would take whatever Sherri can give you and thank her and be done with it. Especially during a pandemic, I'm sure Warner and Sherri have better things to do than helping you. Respectfully, I would be grateful for what you can get.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Does anyone know how to get in touch with Sherri Bogard's supervisor? at Warner Bros., I am having a terrible time with her. She tells me one thing then in another email she changes her mind. She has me so frustrated. She has become so difficult to deal with. I want satisfaction. I have all her emails as proof. I need to work with someone who will be honest.
While I can understand your frustration, My feeling is that Sherri isn't the one being difficult, here. Please try to understand that she can't pull unavailable discs out of her hat, and the multiple disc set issue is obviously a complicated and somewhat confusing one.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeonyXobin