Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
There are several reports in this thread about those DVDs in Volume 2 not working. A few weeks back I checked my boxset and had zero problems with any of those discs. WA does offer replacement discs, but with the "stay at home" order in California, disc replacements aren't happening right now. There is a contact person at Warner, Sherri Bogard. I don't have her email address, but I'm sure somebody else will provide it to you so please, be patient and continue to read this thread.
Thanks so much. I will email her and hope to hear back I will let you know.
For the record, I just sent Sherri Bogard an email around 3 this afternoon regarding my GOLD RAIDERS (1951)/MEET THE BARON (1933) DVD, on which the former is completely non playable. I've already received a reply from Sherri indicating they would be more than happy to exchange discs, which she can begin the process of doing once their offices are reopened! That was a far quicker response than I figured could be reasonably expected given the circumstances, and I very much look forward to receiving the reissued MOD disc of the above titles, whenever the current events that are preventing any exchange subside! :)

CHEERS! :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I watched My Dream Is Yours from the Doris Day Collection volume 2 last week and it played just fine all the way through.

Reactions: Darby67

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
She will reply just give her time and check your SPAM folder. It's good that they re-released many of them via MOD DVDr so we can get free replacements, but dammit I want Blu-rays for these movies !
I just heard back from Sherri @ WB She wanted to know when I purchased them. I don't know since they were a gift. I hope I don't hear that she needs to know where. I will be disappointed. They are WB beautiful sets. defective.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I just heard back from Sherri @ WB She wanted to know when I purchased them. I don't know since they were a gift. I hope I don't hear that she needs to know where. I will be disappointed. They are WB beautiful sets. defective.
That seems a bit odd, unless maybe Sherri was trying to determine whether your discs fell within the manufacturer defect window for that particular set.

In my case, I took screenshots of the DVD cover, the DVD and DVD labels, and the proof of purchase for my GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON DVD, and I also indicated it was a 2006 disc, in case any of that made any difference.

I hope that you can get things resolved to your satisfaction!

Reactions: Darby67

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
She asked that of me too, just take photos of them and upload them as attachments as proof that you have them, you can say they were gifts ...

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
That seems a bit odd, unless maybe Sherri was trying to determine whether your discs fell within the manufacturer defect window for that particular set.

In my case, I took screenshots of the DVD cover, the DVD and DVD labels, and the proof of purchase for my GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON DVD, and I also indicated it was a 2006 disc, in case any of that made any difference.

I hope that you can get things resolved to your satisfaction!

I just got this email from her today. I am not happy... Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we are no longer distributing the Errol Flynn Collection. We do have available as individual releases Dawn Patrol and Dive Bomber (this one is on MOD only). For In This Our Life, again this is available as a single release but only on MOD. Would you still like to exchange those titles?
So they dont have DVDs of ADVENTURES OF dON JUAN chaRge OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, gENTLEMAN JIM?? Do they no longer sell them???????

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I just got this email from her today. I am not happy... Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we are no longer distributing the Errol Flynn Collection. We do have available as individual releases Dawn Patrol and Dive Bomber (this one is on MOD only). For In This Our Life, again this is available as a single release but only on MOD. Would you still like to exchange those titles?
So they dont have DVDs of ADVENTURES OF dON JUAN chaRge OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE, gENTLEMAN JIM?? Do they no longer sell them???????
I am upset.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Do they no longer sell them???????
Yes, that's what she means by "Unfortunately, we are no longer distributing the Errol Flynn Collection."

Notice here it's no longer available directly from Amazon, as an example:

Amazon product
Blu-rays do fall out of print from time to time. Because she works for Warner, I would think what she is telling you is accurate in this case. If it were me, I would take whatever she can give you.

Last edited:

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
I am upset.
Yes, that's what she means by "Unfortunately, we are no longer distributing the Errol Flynn Collection."

Amazon product
Blu-rays do fall out of print from time to time. Because she works for Warner, I would think what she is telling you is accurate in this case. If it were me, I would take whatever she can give you.
They are DVDS what bout single DVDs??? they must sell them

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony

Amazon product
That was the same message I got from Sherri Bogard back in 2017 when I inquired about the Stooges featured GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON DVD. Warner can't do exchanges for titles they don't currently have available, unfortunately. My suggestion is to either take what Sherri can offer you now, or else wait and hope the other Errol Flynn titles become available again, at some point. Hey, Warner did eventually end up reissuing the above Stooges DVD as a MOD, so it is possible!

• Agreed
Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
they must sell them
Not necessarily. That's what "We no longer distribute them" means. Warner Bros. no longer makes new copies available. I'm sorry you're disappointed, but movies don't always stay available forever. I'm not sure why this is hard to grasp, but Sherri is a representative of Warner and she has no motivation to tell you anything other than the truth. Like I said, I would take what Sherri can give you; that way you at least have some of them.

• Agreed
Reactions: Tony Bensley

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
That was the same message I got from Sherri Bogard back in 2017 when I inquired about the Stooges featured GOLD RAIDERS/MEET THE BARON DVD. Warner can't do exchanges for titles they don't currently have available, unfortunately. My suggestion is to either take what Sherri can offer you now, or else wait and hope the other Errol Flynn titles become available again, at some point. Hey, Warner did eventually end up reissuing the above Stooges DVD as a MOD, so it is possible!

so they don't sell them all separately? MOD does not have the extras on them?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
MOD does not have the extras on them?
MOD stands for manufactured-on-demand. It means that they print a disc when it is ordered, as opposed to normal pressed discs you would find in a store. There might or might not be extras, depending on what the title is.

As we've told you, the discs that Sherri told you are unavailable from Warner Bros. are unavailable. Warner does not produce them anymore and therefore they are not available from retailers either, because retailers get their product from Warner. It's that simple. I don't mean to be rude, but what don't you understand?

Reactions: TheSteig

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
MOD does not have the extras on them?
It depends on the title. If it's a "new" MOD title -- i.e., one that had never been released on a regular DVD -- it probably won't have any extras. Movie only.

If it's one that had been previously released on DVD, then the burned MOD release will likely be identical in content, because they undoubtedly still have the completely authored DVD file on a hard drive, and can simply burn it to DVD-R.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Dive Bomber, Gentleman Jim, and The Charge of the Light Brigade have all been released as DVD-MOD by Warner Archive (reissues of the earlier WHV editions) so I would email Sherri back on that issue. If necessary, point out that all three titles are available for purchase from wbshop.com. As for The Dawn Patrol, either they have old stock of the DVD (your mileage may vary if the stock is from the ca. 2006 era pressing) or she is confusing the 1938 film for the the 1930 version (the Flynn version hasn't been released by WAC, but the 1930 Richard Barthelmess version has been). The Adventures of Don Juan similarly hasn't been put out by WAC. If you press the issue, you can probably get new copies of the three titles that have been put out by WAC.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
Based upon what I've seen with others, it might be easier to list individual titles instead of box sets when emailing Sherri. In some instances, the box set is no longer in print but the included titles are available as singles. I remember one person had some issues exchanging his Mickey Rooney/Judy Garland set until he pointed out all of the titles had been re-released as singles.

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Dive Bomber, Gentleman Jim, and The Charge of the Light Brigade have all been released as DVD-MOD by Warner Archive (reissues of the earlier WHV editions) so I would email Sherri back on that issue. If necessary, point out that all three titles are available for purchase from wbshop.com. As for The Dawn Patrol, either they have old stock of the DVD (your mileage may vary if the stock is from the ca. 2006 era pressing) or she is confusing the 1938 film for the the 1930 version (the Flynn version hasn't been released by WAC, but the 1930 Richard Barthelmess version has been). The Adventures of Don Juan similarly hasn't been put out by WAC. If you press the issue, you can probably get new copies of the three titles that have been put out by WAC.
This was her reply: Thank you for the information. Unfortunately, we are no longer distributing the Errol Flynn Collection. We do have available as individual releases Dawn Patrol and Dive Bomber (this one is on MOD only). For In This Our Life, again this is available as a single release but only on MOD. Would you still like to exchange those titles?

Kevin Wedman

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
It depends on the title. If it's a "new" MOD title -- i.e., one that had never been released on a regular DVD -- it probably won't have any extras. Movie only.

If it's one that had been previously released on DVD, then the burned MOD release will likely be identical in content, because they undoubtedly still have the completely authored DVD file on a hard drive, and can simply burn it to DVD-R.
That is interesting. So the original DVD with extras would be used if originally released that way. So there is no ''mod'' of sorts, it would also contain all of the extras as well even thou its mod.

jayembee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jerry
That is interesting. So the original DVD with extras would be used if originally released that way. So there is no ''mod'' of sorts, it would also contain all of the extras as well even thou its mod.
It appears you don't quite understand what MOD means. It simply means "Manufactured on Demand". The contents, whether they be movie-only, or movie-with-a-trailer, or movie-with-a-boatload-of-extras, are manufactured -- pressed or burned -- on a more limited basis. The impression of a lot of people is that they are burned one copy at a time. That is, if you order a MOD disc, someone goes to their workstation, burns a copy, prints out a cover sheet, puts it in a case, and ships it out to you.

But it's more likely (more cost-effective) to burn a bunch of copies at once -- maybe a couple of hundred rather than a couple of thousand. This is no different than if it was a regular DVD sold in stores. They press a few thousand copies, and when those sell out, they press more. And when those sell out, they press even more.

There have been a few times when I've ordered MOD releases from WAC. Sometimes they ship within a day (because they have some copies on hand), and sometimes they won't ship for a week (because one or more titles need to have more copies burned).

The only factor regarding content is whether or not they have an existing ISO/VOB/whatever file of a disc, or they have to author one from scratch. If the latter, they won't be inclined to put more effort into it than the movie and a menu page. And I can tell you that in those cases, the menu pages are about as basic as you can get.

One problem with box sets is that, in many cases, there's a supplemental disc that has on it a documentary -- usually one made specifically for the Turner Classic Movies channel -- about the subject of the box set (actor, director, genre). As far as I know, those discs only appear in the sets, and aren't available individually. So if the whole set is bad, that's one "extra" you aren't likely to be able to replace. But extras that are on the same disc as an individual movie that has a standalone release will be all but guaranteed to be on an MOD release of that movie.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smwe16