Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Executive Suite is open matte when it should be a widescreen ratio, but otherwise, mine plays just fine, too.
Have you let WAC know about the ratio issue ? Maybe one day a Blu ray will appear with the correct ratio. Right now, Im checking just for playback

Reactions: Darby67

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
I've had a few DVDs go bad but only a few compared to the bigger pile of Laserdisc rotters out there. Usually it's DVD rot from early year releases. The latest I had die on me was the Special Edition DVD of For Your Eyes Only which I replaced.

There are seemingly a number of WB titles that just stop dead or refuse to play properly. I've had it twice before but all I can remember off the top of my head is buying a new copy of Dog Day Afternoon 2 disc SE back in the day and it refusing to play anything after the first 5-10 minutes. Disc 2 was fine. Even the trick of trying to rip the disc to my PC like I did with the error ridden Universal DVD-18s didn't work-the disc simply would not read just like my few rotted dvds.

I try to seek out oop titles pressed instead of buying the MOD WAC reprints but it is nice they are making things available still.

DBF

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ashley
I checked The Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland Collection out of the library last month -- the Mickey Rooney TCM Private Screenings feature on the bonus disc would not play.

Also checked out Presenting Lily Mars -- disc was not recognized at all in both my computer and Blu-ray player.

Purchased The Wizard of Oz (Two-Disc Special Edition) DVD last month, sealed copy -- first disc was not recognized in computer and Blu-ray player. Second disc would not play on Blu-ray player but did play on computer.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
All was well with disc 1 of Wally Gator until the episode "Which is Which Witch?" at which point it froze up.

UPDATE: Disc 2 won't play at all.

Therefore, what would I do next to resolve this? I really want to contact Sherri Bogard about this, but she says I must dig up where I got it from, date purchased, the works. In this case, my brother bought the DVD for me on my behalf.

~Ben

Last edited:

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Just tell her the truth (FACTS matter) , take a photo of the item as proof that you have it.
I did that for one of my movies that I traded it and it worked out fine

Some of the movies we have in our collections were bought so many years ago, it would hard to track where something was bought from :)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Another one bites the dust! I was watching Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut and it froze at the 1:27 mark and would not proceed further!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
DELETED POST since issue is off topic and now being discussed in the appropriate thread.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled programming, already in progress.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClassicTVMan1981X

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
Are Warner still able to issue replacement discs during you-know-what? I'm thinking about sending some discs to them in exchange for corrected/fully functional ones soon, but am not sure if I can go through a disc replacement procedure during the current pandemic.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Are Warner still able to issue replacement discs during you-know-what? I'm thinking about sending some discs to them in exchange for corrected/fully functional ones soon, but am not sure if they can ship me replacements during the current pandemic.
I doubt it! I would wait until after Cali gets back to some normalcy.

Mike Frezon

Premium
I made a mistake (I think) sending Criterion a disc for a replacement just as the virus crisis was ramping up.

I think its going to be a long while before they turn that around.

Spencer Draper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Spencer Draper
Well I just had the issue happen on two different sets.
Three of the five discs in the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Volume 2 are totally dead and will not load whatsoever nor in a PC drive. Charge of the Light Brigade, Dawn Patrol and Gentleman Jim are affected but Dive Bomber And Don Juan are ok.

I had forgotten I had this same issue on the Katharine Hepburn set where everything is fine but Dragon Seed refuses to play.

What does WB do about these older discs going bad? I’ve written in before about other issues but once you’ve had a disc a number of years will they still replace it?

Now I’m very concerned about all the WB classic boxes on my shelf. I didn’t realize this problem could be so widespread...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Three of the five discs in the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Volume 2 are totally dead and will not load whatsoever nor in a PC drive. Charge of the Light Brigade, Dawn Patrol and Gentleman Jim are affected but Dive Bomber And Don Juan are ok.

I had forgotten I had this same issue on the Katharine Hepburn set where everything is fine but Dragon Seed refuses to play.

What does WB do about these older discs going bad? I’ve written in before about other issues but once you’ve had a disc a number of years will they still replace it?

Now I’m very concerned about all the WB classic boxes on my shelf. I didn’t realize this problem could be so widespread...
I'll check those DVDs this weekend to see if I have that same problem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert

I checked all of the discs in both box sets without any issues. I played each disc at least 3 minutes into each movie, including all five discs in the Flynn and the six discs in the Hepburn box sets. At times, I wonder if these disc issues are affected by the disc storage environment like heat and humidity as I haven't experienced any of these issues when I test my discs. I keep my house pretty cool in the summer with low humidity and not too warm in the winter time. All of the discs are stored upright in book cases away from any heat sources.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13