What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (2 Viewers)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't think there is one. The first thing to do is try your disc in a different Blu-ray player as sometimes a disc that won't play in one machine will in another.
Already tried that. Also tried cleaning with a microfiber cloth. Still no go. My Oppo was able to recognize the disc after several tries, but the movie doesn't play.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just tried to watch the Gone With the Wind Blu Ray. No go.

Which version of Gone With the Wind is it? If you will recall, when GWTW came out on Blu-ray, the only way to get the second disc with the Bonus features without the "box of swag" was to order the UK 2-disc version. I ordered that UK version and my disc of the movie also no longer plays. I bought a new copy of the movie-only version to replace it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Which version of Gone With the Wind is it? If you will recall, when GWTW came out on Blu-ray, the only way to get the second disc with the Bonus features without the "box of swag" was to order the UK 2-disc version. I ordered that UK version and my disc of the movie also no longer plays. I bought a new copy of the movie-only version to replace it.
That's useful information, David, because what I have is indeed the UK version. Sounds like wherever they were made used a flawed procedure.

Last edited:

fmy333

Auditioning
Real Name
Frank M. Young
I finally heard back from Sherri Bogard, after two noodges. The bad news: since the THEY LIVE BY NIGHT/SIDE STREET DVD is not in print, they can't supply me with a replacement. I asked them to send that original DVD back, since that was the one disc in the set that did still play properly. I hope Sherri grants my request. The others are available as MODs. Now let's see if I ever receive the discs...

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
She replied asking me where I bought FH V. 1 and to be honest, I have no idea. It was over 10 years ago.. It wasnt Amazon. I dont know why that is needed BUT I sent a picture of my FH V1 set as proof that I have it ..

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
:eek:

My 2004 DVD of Damn Yankees is DOA.

This...is...bad.

My Oppo 203 sees it as an "Unknown Disc."

51TZD9EBT7L.jpg

This is very, very bad. :(

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Knock on wood. After FX's Fosse/Verdon mini-series ended, I pulled out my DVD of Damn Yankees and watched it. Mine played fine. I hope it will last until we get a Blu-ray edition. Otherwise, I'll have to buy a streaming version.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sherri said a few weeks ago that I would get a FEDEX return package label so I could replace FH V1 with the new MOD release.. but I never got it as of today and she hasn't replied to emails..
I dont get it.. I really hope shes just on vacation because I wanted to take care of the replacement a little bit quicker than this

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Have you checked your Damn Yankee's disc in any other players?

Hey William!

I don't have any other players set up at my house right now (other than the Oppo UDP-203). But I tried it in my laptop's disc drive...and it doesn't see anything either. It doesn't register any files when I look on Windows Explorer and if I try to navigate to it via Windows Media Player it says there is no disc.

:(

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I checked the other day on Amazon and saw the DVD was listed at $59.99, I figured Damn Yankees was out of print.

But now I see (with a closer look) that the WA has a release of it available for $14.99 on Amazon.

Maybe if I order a new DVD copy from WA it will ensure the immediate announcement of a Blu-ray release? :laugh:

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
Sherri said a few weeks ago that I would get a FEDEX return package label so I could replace FH V1 with the new MOD release.. but I never got it as of today and she hasn't replied to emails..
I dont get it.. I really hope shes just on vacation because I wanted to take care of the replacement a little bit quicker than this
I do hope everything will be resolved regarding this DVD/Blu-Ray conundrum!

~Ben

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Hopefully Damn Yankees will be out on Blu Ray sometime soon. Its a shame Warners didn't release a dozen titles a month on Blu Ray.

It does sound like the disc is dead but over the years I've had the odd disc die, not related to the Warners 2006-2009 issue, though I've had over a dozen from that era die.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I checked the other day on Amazon and saw the DVD was listed at $59.99, I figured Damn Yankees was out of print.

But now I see (with a closer look) that the WA has a release of it available for $14.99 on Amazon.

Maybe if I order a new DVD copy from WA it will ensure the immediate announcement of a Blu-ray release? :laugh:
Mike,

I already took care of that by purchasing the HD digital from iTunes earlier this year.:rolling-smiley:

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela

Sherri has been super slow to respond. My last replacement took about three months, from first contact to my receiving the replacement disc.

One time I had to follow up twice about my return label. She said she sent it, I never received, so she sent a new one.

I’m assuming she’s super busy? They really need a formal disc replacement program for these disc issues, but they’re probably trying to keep it quiet so they don’t have to replace too many.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Hopefully Damn Yankees will be out on Blu Ray sometime soon. Its a shame Warners didn't release a dozen titles a month on Blu Ray.

It does sound like the disc is dead but over the years I've had the odd disc die, not related to the Warners 2006-2009 issue, though I've had over a dozen from that era die.

I'd be curious as to when Mike purchased the disc. Remember, DVDs are re-printed periodically when there is sufficient demand. So a reprinted pre-2006 release could have been manufactured during the problem era. Case in point, I purchased a handful of WB snapper releases from Costco in 2008 ("The Prince and the Pauper", "Splendor in the Grass", and "Arsenic and Old Lace"). Figuring that they were old stock from before 2006, I didn't bother checking them for the longest time. When I did I found that they had rotted. I presume that they were reprinted discs in old stock snapper cases. Anyway, if you bought a WB disc new between 2006 and 2009, you really need to check it out even if its initial release was from before 2006.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Wish I could say. But I can't.

The copyright date on the back cover is 2004. I'd be relatively sure I bought the disc close to its release date...but I can't say for certain.

The copyright date tells you when that particular release was initially put out. It doesn't necessarily tell when you when the disc was made. Think of it like editions of a book - first edition, second edition, etc. Still, it's very possible that your disc failure is unrelated to the overall Warner quality control issues of 2006 through 2009. My copy of the Garbo Silents collection has a defective disc two, and I'm pretty sure that set dates to 2005 and thus before the problem era. Even under the best of conditions, a few dud DVDs are inevitable. Does the data side of your "Damn Yankees" disc exhibit any abnormalities like little black dots, discoloration (coffee colored and/or purple), a nearly transparent appearance, or weird/funky swirling? That's what I have seen on some of my Warner discs that "have given up the ghost."

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Does the data side of your "Damn Yankees" disc exhibit any abnormalities like little black dots, discoloration (coffee colored and/or purple), a nearly transparent appearance, or weird/funky swirling? That's what I have seen on some of my Warner discs that "have given up the ghost."

I tried to take some pix...but that proved frustratingly difficult.

No little black dots, discoloration, or transparency. There is one area which might represent swirling, however. It sort of looks like a fingerprint. You'll (sort of) see it here above the inner ring (in the 12 o'clock position). Other than that, it looks pretty normal.

full

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks