1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TheSteig, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    After reading this I thought I’d better check my Flynn Signature Collection Vol 2 set. They all play except for THE ADVENTURES OF DON JUAN. Extremely annoying to say the least.

Darby67 likes this.
  2. fmy333

fmy333 Auditioning

Frank M. Young
    Hi, this is my first post here. I have discovered, to my dismay, that most of my WHV DVDs no longer play. The Film Noir Vol. 4 set's ILLEGAL/BIG STEAL DVD doesn't play the latter movie, and crashed VLC Media Player and MPC-HC Media Player. I had a lot of trouble getting the DECOY/CRIME WAVE DVD to load last weekend, but it did finally play on MPC-HC. I'm afraid to even try some of the other WHV sets I own.
    Was this planned obsolescence, or faulty pressings, or.....? Is WHV offering any compensation or replacements for their failing discs of the 2000s? All my DVDs have been stored under ideal circumstances and free of dust, mishandling or other agents of harm. It's saddening that I apparently don't have all of these movies I thought I had...

TheSteig, Aunt Peg, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  3. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Is there a specific time period or DVD plant responsible for these problems? Also, what is the status of Canadian discs?

Darby67 likes this.
  4. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Roughly from 2006 through 2009, but I will state that I haven't actually encountered a rotted 2009 release yet so the bad period may only be through 2008. The culprit in question was the Cinram replication plant in Pennsylvania. I'm not sure if any of the Cinram-produced Canadian discs are impacted. The best thing for you to do is to inspect some of your WB discs from that period. Watch some of them, or perhaps just see if you can navigate past the layer changes since that is where a lot of problems seem to manifest themselves. Even just a visual inspection of the data side may reveal problems.

All of this reminds me that I need to get in touch with Sherri in regards to a stack of discs that have gone bad. Incidentally, I sympathize with those who have problems with the second Errol Flynn set because every single movie in that set has rotted for me.

5. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Seems the ILLEGAL/BIG STEAL disc is really suspect since the same damned thing happened to mine.

Richard M S likes this.
  6. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Same thing happened to mine, AGAIN! Very sad since Don Juan is now a "rare" DVD and going for the big bucks. Mine was in a thinpack case.

7. Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    I was under the impression that all of the Flynn titles had been reissued by the Warner Archive. Annoying to say the least. Another reason why I'd like to see more of the Flynn films put out on blu-ray (The Sea Hawk is a good start though).

8. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Not a movie, but disc 5 of my season 2 set of F-Troop seems to be my first victim. The second to last episode stops playing a few seconds in and fast forwarding through doesn't get the episode playing until about 15 minutes in. Disc surface looks great and this has been played a couple of times in the past decade or so without any issues.

Warner Brothers isn't doing anything about these older purchases when contacted, right? I'm not too thrilled about having to buy the complete series set I just saw at my local Wal-Mart for a show that I already own, but I guess I have no choice (The single season is cheaper, but I could end up with a dud right out of the shrinkwrap where as I believe this complete series set is recent).

9. fmy333

fmy333 Auditioning

Frank M. Young
    I sent my WHV FILM NOIR Vol. 4 set to Sherri Bogard to have them replaced with MOD discs. It's been over a month since the discs reached her and no sign of the replacements, so I hope I haven't been shafted twice...

10. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Oh you absolutely have to send a gentle email reminder or 2. I had to do that last year and she quickly responded with an apology and a week later, the MOD dvds.

11. fmy333

fmy333 Auditioning

Frank M. Young
    I've sent Gentle Reminder E-mail #1, four days ago. I'll give her a week and then do the second noodge.

12. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    The process is slow (I've done it for a defective out of the case Blu-Ray and The Bishop's Wife replacement program), but she'll take care of you.

I just don't know if I have a right to bother her for a failed disc after a decade or so of ownership. Would I be out of line to e-mail an inquiry for a disc that died through no fault of my own?

13. fmy333

fmy333 Auditioning

Frank M. Young
    Since WHV, Universal and other manufacturers knowingly used cheap, volatile DVD blanks, then yes, you do have the right. You purchased the DVD on the good faith that it was well-manufactured and that it would have a reasonable life in your collection. Shoddy materials cause early failure. It's on them to make good.

Darby67, LeoA, TJPC and 1 other person like this.
  14. OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Stunt Coordinator

Ken S-B
    My copy of Roberta stops playing during chapter 24 but picks up again at chapter 26.

15. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Red-Headed Woman on my Forbidden Hollywood V. 1 DVD didnt play, but Baby Face and Waterloo Bridge did. I hope Sherri responds. I guess I will need another FH Volume 1 DVD because one movie doesnt play..Im guessing Id wind up with the MOD re-release but who knows.. it really sucks that their DVDs just stop working. Even Return of Dr. X from the Forgotten horrors set didnt play either, and while Im not a big fan of the film it would be nice to revisit it

16. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

Just tried to watch the Gone With the Wind Blu Ray. No go.

17. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I'm sorry to hear that. I played my copy a few weeks ago and I had no problems.

18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Same here.

19. RobertR

RobertR Executive Producer

What's my recourse, if any?

20. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I don't think there is one. The first thing to do is try your disc in a different Blu-ray player as sometimes a disc that won't play in one machine will in another.