1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TheSteig, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg Stunt Coordinator

William Edwards
    I've just finishing watch the stand alone release of It Happened on 5th Avenue (1947) and it played fine. Beautiful print that is ripe for a Blu Ray release.

Darby67 and Gary16 like this.
  2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I was a bit worried as I loaded my DVD of The Gay Divorcee into the player yesterday. The last Fred-Ginger DVD I played, Roberta, had gone bad, but The Gay Divorcee played just fine.

Aunt Peg and Darby67 like this.
  3. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I watched To Please A Lady and Jeopardy DVD from Warner - Jeopardy didnt work starting at the :0:01 second mark. Yes right at the very beginning Well Im not keen on that film anyway but wanted to rewatch it as Im going through my Barbara Stanwyck set.

Aunt Peg and Darby67 like this.
  4. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

April In Paris (1952) with Doris Day played just fine. It's part of the first Doris Day box set.

Aunt Peg, TheSteig and Darby67 like this.
  5. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    The disc turning orange, what real significance is there to that? I have a few that have changed colour but still seem to play okay...?
    JB

Darby67 likes this.
  6. Wiseguy

Wiseguy Stunt Coordinator

Erich P. Wise
    On my The West Wing Second Season set (WB, 2004, double-sided, dual-layered, purchased in 2009) two of the three episode discs have a cloudy look on both sides and have trouble playing the second half of each side of each disc.

Also purchased in 2009 the third season of The Flintstones (WB, three single-sided discs, one double-sided) but don't have a problem with them (yet).

Darby67 likes this.
  7. johnnybear

John
    I tried washing one of my cloudy discs a few weeks back but it didn't seem to change the opaqueness on it!!!
    JB

Darby67 likes this.
  8. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    I watched Dinner at Eight (1933) last night and it played fine.

TheSteig, Darby67 and Matt Hough like this.
  9. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    My "rare" WB DVD of The Adventures of Don Juan (which I hadn't yet viewed) crapped out just two thirds into the movie. Impossible to get it to play beyond that point. Couldn't go beyond the messed up chapter. Tried cleaning, gentle wiping, just about everything...no luck. The disc surface is pristine, like new, must be another bad dummy disc. Now this title is going for $60 and up. I'd buy another, but WB made it unaffordable as it never went to the Archive. This is a classic, isn't it? I'm REALLY PISSED OFF! Would have loved to have seen how it ended, but I suppose I can guess. This is when I wonder why I bother to buy these things in the first place.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Ed:

Sorry to hear about The Adventures of Don Juan having gone defective. Do you know which copy it was?

The stand alone release on March 27, 2007: https://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Don-Juan-Errol-Flynn/dp/B000M2E304/ref=tmm_dvd_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Part of the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Volume 2 release on March 27, 2007: https://www.amazon.com/Signature-Collection-Brigade-Gentleman-Adventures/dp/B000M2E31I/ref=pd_sbs_74_5/138-7836207-0665351?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000M2E31I&pd_rd_r=ea568448-a25c-11e9-b055-c790120e382f&pd_rd_w=UG2yC&pd_rd_wg=wfkA8&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=AZ55RJSHBR14VWQD9AR8&psc=1&refRID=AZ55RJSHBR14VWQD9AR8

Part of TCM Greatest Film Collection: Legends - Errol Flynn release on February 1, 2011: https://www.amazon.com/TCM-Greatest-Classic-Film-Collection/dp/B0047BXQZY/ref=pd_sbs_74_2/138-7836207-0665351?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0047BXQZY&pd_rd_r=ea568448-a25c-11e9-b055-c790120e382f&pd_rd_w=UG2yC&pd_rd_wg=wfkA8&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=AZ55RJSHBR14VWQD9AR8&psc=1&refRID=AZ55RJSHBR14VWQD9AR8

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  11. Message #431 of 447 Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Thank you, Darby. I hope you haven't run into many of these. Mine must have come from the Errol Flynn Signature Collection Vol. 2 as it is a thin-case DVD. I paid about $25 for it from Ebay long ago enough that I had given a 5 star rating to the seller and don't expect a refund. I've had this once before with a pressed Illegal/The Big Steal WB DVD. It's supposed to be the pressed discs that last, isn't it? Hope none of us have this sort of surprise with most of our collections. I have a couple Japanese CDs I was given in Brazil in 1984 (long before CD players were introduced in the US) that play perfectly today. I'd suppose it was bad blanks if I hadn't had a Come to the Stable and a BD of The Robe crap out on me after several perfect viewings. Now the physics of "crapped out disc syndrome" just confuses me.

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    You're welcome, Ed. These WB disc failures are a real gut punch to us collectors. I purchased the stand alone release of The Adventure of Don Juan (the one with the thicker case) on Ebay a few months ago and it's working fine...for now (we'll see what happens in the future). In this thread, I've posted a few times about WB discs that have gone bad, largely among their Gangster and Film Noir collections (Illegal/Big Steal being one of them). In all cases, I patiently waited for pressed copies to appear on Ebay or Amazon for reasonable prices. It took awhile but I was able to eventually replace the defective discs. Bottom line: this is incredibly frustrating!

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  13. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    Oddly none of my foreign DVDs or BDs have had this problem. Do they use better blanks? Was this WB problem due to a couple "bad batches" of blanks, perhaps with inferior glue that fails after a period of storage? Can we trust the rest of our collection? 'Tis a puzzlement!

Darby67 likes this.
  14. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Watched Alice Adams (1935) and it played fine. However, the disc was from 2003 (in a snap case) and I've not heard of any reported issues of films released from this period.

Also watched The Flame and the Arrow (1950). The film played fine however I could not access any of the special features - tried on two players without any luck. This could be a case of the was a problem with accessing the special features going to back its release or it could be the beginning of something for sinister. To be honest I suspect the first theory. I can't recall if I ever even checked the extras out years ago when I first purchased the disc.

Darby67, Matt Hough and Richard M S like this.
  15. johnnybear

John
    I've got some talent stuff on my Warner's Four For Texas disc and I can only access one or two of the names and it's always been like that!
    JB

16. Message #436 of 447 Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    Ah! Alice Adams! The film that opened my eyes to two major truths about my taste in films: that I like Fred MacMurray a lot and that I don't like Katharine Hepburn at all! I'll have to buy this DVD one day.

Richard M S likes this.
  17. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    But do you like George Stevens and Hattie McDaniel? Much more important, don't you think?:)

18. Message #438 of 447 Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    OLDTIMER

OLDTIMER Agent

Ken S-B
    Like others have reported, My Dream is Yours from the Doris Day collection won't play past 1h15m. Sometimes when I get a faulty disc I try it on the Computer. If it plays OK on the computer I burn a new copy. It's worked for me once or twice.

19. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    I still have about a dozen Warners discs to watch. Some released in out snap cases (of which there have been no reported problems) and some Garbo films.

Tonight I thought I would give Some Came Running (1958) a spin. I have the French pressed DVD which was released around 2006. I understand its available in the US but only on DVD-R. Anyway a little over an hour into the film it stopped playing. I tried another machine same problem. However, I went to menu, selected a later chapter and was then able to rewind to about 16 minutes from where the film wouldn't stop, so I was able to watch most of them film. I've seen it twice before (once on the big screen and once on TCM).

Anyway, I can't say with any certainty that the disc is failing or it was faulty to begin with. Whenever I receive discs I always make show they play and do a quick chapter search however I don't always chapter search right to the end so who knows - I might have chapter searched on this to chapter five and never went any further so never discovered the problem until I actually watched the film.

Anyway, I have about 8 French Warners discs. I watched The Search (1949) a couple of years ago and that was fine. I also watched Beyond the Forest when it was released and that was fine.

Both Some Came Running, The Search and a couple of other titles I have are part of a 'Legend of Cinema' series that was put out in France around 2006. Beyond the Forest and some other titles that I have were released about 5 or 6 years ago.

Anyway, I'm going to watch all the French discs as well and will report on those. I have heard of problems with some French discs but these have been limited to Blu Rays not DVDs.

When ray of hope is that Some Came Running would seem a candidate for a Blu Ray release by Warners sometime in the near future I would hope.

Richard M S, OLDTIMER and Darby67 like this.
  20. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    I forgot to mention that I watched The Grass Harp (1996) a couple of weeks ago and it played fine. I don't think it was pressed by the same place as the problem Warners titles. It was a FineLine release that Warners acquired when the purchased New Line and I'm not aware of any Fine Line or New Line titles having playback trouble but I'm watching them too to be on the safe side.

Darby67 likes this.