What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (8 Viewers)

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just watched The Life of Emile Zola (1937) and it played fine. Can't see a Blu Ray of this coming out any time soon - whilst the print was good for a DVD it will need work for a Blu Ray release.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just finished watch Humoresque (1946) and it played fine. This was part of a Joan Crawford boxset. I upgraded my copies of Mildred Pierce, Possessed & The Women to Blu Ray and sold off those DVDs. I will need to watch The Damned Don't Cry in coming weeks to check that it is playing ok.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just finished watch Humoresque (1946) and it played fine. This was part of a Joan Crawford boxset. I upgraded my copies of Mildred Pierce, Possessed & The Women to Blu Ray and sold off those DVDs. I will need to watch The Damned Don't Cry in coming weeks to check that it is playing ok.
I watched my DVD of Humoresque a few weeks ago and I had no problems either.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
On Ebay I recently purchased a brand new copy of the Controversial Classics Collection DVD set which includes Advise and Consent, The Americanization of Emily, Bad Day at Black Rock, Blackboard jungle, Face in the Crowd, Fury, and I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang that Warner Brothers released on May 10, 2005 and all of the discs played fine. It is a terrific collection of films!

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just finished watching David Copperfield (1935) and it played fine. Don't expect a Blu Ray upgrade any time soon though (unless Warners have restored it). The print whilst generally good will need restoration in some places I'm afraid.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Were there are any issues with the following DVD release? I had no trouble playing either film on disc.

51zYAvLGJ%2BL._SY445_.jpg

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The WAC MOD DVDr's have been safe, it tends to be the older DVD releases from 2009-2010 that are having issues. That being said, there was one MOD crap out on me over a year ago.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Watched The Damned Don't Cry (1950) which is part of one of the Joan Crawford boxsets and it played fine.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Well, my previously listed okay copy of Land of the Pharaohs from the Cult Camp Classics box set froze up on me. It was about at the 57 minute mark. The volume went out and then the picture froze. I tried it in two different players. Think I could get a replacement of just that film? It's been awhile since I bought the box set. I don't need Colossus of Rhodes as the DVD still works and I bought the new Warner Archive blu ray. I didn't check the Prodigal again though.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Well, my previously listed okay copy of Land of the Pharaohs from the Cult Camp Classics box set froze up on me. It was about at the 57 minute mark. The volume went out and then the picture froze. I tried it in two different players. Think I could get a replacement of just that film? It's been awhile since I bought the box set. I don't need Colossus of Rhodes as the DVD still works and I bought the new Warner Archive blu ray. I didn't check the Prodigal again though.
If I'm in the right mood, I'll sample my DVD of Land of the Pharaohs tonight. If I do, I'll report back.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I did watch Land Of The Pharaohs yesterday and it played perfectly! I was in the right mood and I enjoyed the film enormously. I notice on IMDB the "reviewers" trot out the usual clichés - cheesy, campy etc. - but I think it's a pretty good film. Mind you, it's not coming out on Blu-ray any time soon. The elements need a lot of remedial work.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I ended up contacting Sherri and she's sending me out a new copy, but it's MOD. I've never had an issue with any of the MOD releases so i'm not worried about it, I'm just glad to get a new copy of this fine film.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
In honor of Doris Day's passing, I took out one of the DVDs from the Vol. 2 Doris Day Collection: My Dream Is Yours. I'm sorry to say it's beginning to deteriorate. After the one hour mark (layer change), the final third of the film was a fairly bumpy ride with stutters and a bit of picture break-up. I didn't have to skip any chapters, but I'll bet the next time I attempt to play it, it won't get past the layer change or won't play at all. I'm afraid the other gems in that box will likewise be affected, too.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I also took out MY DREAM IS YOURS and had the exact same issue. It froze at about the one hour mark and was troublesome from that point on. I gave up, watched APRIL IN PARIS, and ordered an archive copy of MY DREAM IS YOURS using my Amazon points.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched another Doris Day movie tonight from a different collection - the TCM Doris Day Collection: It's a Great Feeling. A totally silly and frivolous movie with some snappy tunes and Hope/Crosby-like banter between Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan (Warners' answer to that legendary Paramount teaming). It played just fine with no hiccups at all.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I've been on holidays to the outback of Australia for a couple of weeks so now I'm back home on my regular Sunday night Warner watching.

Whilst Sergeant York (1942) played well through but from about the 90 minute mark the film stops for a split second about 7 to 8 times. This may have been a transfer problem or it may be the start of something more sinister so I'd strongly advise to place Sergeant York to the top of your to-watch pile.

johnnybear

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
Sorry to hijack the thread but I've had problems with my Invaders, Believers set! The notorious subtitles which were supposed to have been corrected still turning up on one disc here in the UK but Paramount just ignore me! Think I've emailed them more than twenty times and yet nothing!
JB

WaltWiz1901

Agent
Real Name
Ryan Bannon
I had to order volume four of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection off of eBay twice because three (and later, two) of the discs had something wrong with them:
- First copy: None of the bonus features on discs two, three, and four were playable
- Second copy: None of the bonuses on disc two, save the audio commentaries, were functional; the last time I played disc four, the "A Cast of Thousands" featurette wasn't working (before then, it wasn't playable at all)

I contacted Sherri [Bogard] for replacement discs, but she said WHV couldn't replace discs that were purchased from eBay. I will try to see if cleaning the discs can make them functional again, and if that doesn't work, purchase yet another copy off of Amazon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks