1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Discussion in 'DVD' started by TheSteig, Feb 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Aunt Peg

Aunt Peg Stunt Coordinator

William Edwards
    Just watched The Life of Emile Zola (1937) and it played fine. Can't see a Blu Ray of this coming out any time soon - whilst the print was good for a DVD it will need work for a Blu Ray release.

Darby67 likes this.
  2. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Just finished watching Advise and Consent (1962) and it played without any problems. The print used for the DVD is excellent - the transfer is stunning. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Blu Ray sometime in the near future.

3. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Just finished watch Humoresque (1946) and it played fine. This was part of a Joan Crawford boxset. I upgraded my copies of Mildred Pierce, Possessed & The Women to Blu Ray and sold off those DVDs. I will need to watch The Damned Don't Cry in coming weeks to check that it is playing ok.

Darby67 likes this.
  4. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I watched my DVD of Humoresque a few weeks ago and I had no problems either.

Aunt Peg and Darby67 like this.
  5. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    On Ebay I recently purchased a brand new copy of the Controversial Classics Collection DVD set which includes Advise and Consent, The Americanization of Emily, Bad Day at Black Rock, Blackboard jungle, Face in the Crowd, Fury, and I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang that Warner Brothers released on May 10, 2005 and all of the discs played fine. It is a terrific collection of films!

TheSteig and Aunt Peg like this.
  6. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Just finished watching David Copperfield (1935) and it played fine. Don't expect a Blu Ray upgrade any time soon though (unless Warners have restored it). The print whilst generally good will need restoration in some places I'm afraid.

Darby67 likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Were there are any issues with the following DVD release? I had no trouble playing either film on disc.

[​IMG]

8. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    The WAC MOD DVDr's have been safe, it tends to be the older DVD releases from 2009-2010 that are having issues. That being said, there was one MOD crap out on me over a year ago.

Darby67 likes this.
  9. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    Watched The Damned Don't Cry (1950) which is part of one of the Joan Crawford boxsets and it played fine.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Well, my previously listed okay copy of Land of the Pharaohs from the Cult Camp Classics box set froze up on me. It was about at the 57 minute mark. The volume went out and then the picture froze. I tried it in two different players. Think I could get a replacement of just that film? It's been awhile since I bought the box set. I don't need Colossus of Rhodes as the DVD still works and I bought the new Warner Archive blu ray. I didn't check the Prodigal again though.

Darby67 likes this.
  11. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    If I'm in the right mood, I'll sample my DVD of Land of the Pharaohs tonight. If I do, I'll report back.

Darby67 and skylark68 like this.
  12. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I did watch Land Of The Pharaohs yesterday and it played perfectly! I was in the right mood and I enjoyed the film enormously. I notice on IMDB the "reviewers" trot out the usual clichés - cheesy, campy etc. - but I think it's a pretty good film. Mind you, it's not coming out on Blu-ray any time soon. The elements need a lot of remedial work.

13. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I ended up contacting Sherri and she's sending me out a new copy, but it's MOD. I've never had an issue with any of the MOD releases so i'm not worried about it, I'm just glad to get a new copy of this fine film.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    In honor of Doris Day's passing, I took out one of the DVDs from the Vol. 2 Doris Day Collection: My Dream Is Yours. I'm sorry to say it's beginning to deteriorate. After the one hour mark (layer change), the final third of the film was a fairly bumpy ride with stutters and a bit of picture break-up. I didn't have to skip any chapters, but I'll bet the next time I attempt to play it, it won't get past the layer change or won't play at all. I'm afraid the other gems in that box will likewise be affected, too.

15. Rob_Ray

Rob_Ray Screenwriter

Rob Ray
    I also took out MY DREAM IS YOURS and had the exact same issue. It froze at about the one hour mark and was troublesome from that point on. I gave up, watched APRIL IN PARIS, and ordered an archive copy of MY DREAM IS YOURS using my Amazon points.

16. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I scanned my DVD of My Dream Is Yours from chapter to chapter and it played just fine! btw, my Doris Day tribute movie was Tea For Two which I watched all the way through and it played fine.

Aunt Peg, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  17. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I watched another Doris Day movie tonight from a different collection - the TCM Doris Day Collection: It's a Great Feeling. A totally silly and frivolous movie with some snappy tunes and Hope/Crosby-like banter between Jack Carson and Dennis Morgan (Warners' answer to that legendary Paramount teaming). It played just fine with no hiccups at all.

18. Aunt Peg

William Edwards
    I've been on holidays to the outback of Australia for a couple of weeks so now I'm back home on my regular Sunday night Warner watching.

Whilst Sergeant York (1942) played well through but from about the 90 minute mark the film stops for a split second about 7 to 8 times. This may have been a transfer problem or it may be the start of something more sinister so I'd strongly advise to place Sergeant York to the top of your to-watch pile.

Darby67 and Robert Crawford like this.
  19. johnnybear

johnnybear Stunt Coordinator

John
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I've had problems with my Invaders, Believers set! The notorious subtitles which were supposed to have been corrected still turning up on one disc here in the UK but Paramount just ignore me! Think I've emailed them more than twenty times and yet nothing!
    JB

20. WaltWiz1901

WaltWiz1901 Auditioning

Ryan Bannon
    I had to order volume four of the Looney Tunes Golden Collection off of eBay twice because three (and later, two) of the discs had something wrong with them:
    - First copy: None of the bonus features on discs two, three, and four were playable
    - Second copy: None of the bonuses on disc two, save the audio commentaries, were functional; the last time I played disc four, the "A Cast of Thousands" featurette wasn't working (before then, it wasn't playable at all)

I contacted Sherri [Bogard] for replacement discs, but she said WHV couldn't replace discs that were purchased from eBay. I will try to see if cleaning the discs can make them functional again, and if that doesn't work, purchase yet another copy off of Amazon...