Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
William Edwards
Just finished watching Air Force and it played fine. Don't see Warners upgrading this to Blu Ray anytime soon. Whilst the negative of the film itself appears to be in excellent condition the stock footage used in the film, and there is a lot of it, leaves a lot to be desired and would need extensive restoration for a Blu Ray release.

Reactions: Darby67

Darby67

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Sean
Another batch that played just fine:

Silk Stockings

TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection: Esther Williams Volume 2 (Thrill of a Romance, Fiesta, Pagan Love Song, Million Dollar Mermaid)

The Crimson Pirate

I have been on the hunt for a New or Like New copy of TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection: Esther Williams Volume 1 (Bathing Beauty, Dangerous When Wet, On An Island with You, Neptune's Daughter) on Ebay but no luck so far. Same issue with my search for the pressed disc version of Warner Archive's Sinbad the Sailor.

Reactions: Aunt Peg

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
CDUniverse has on sale right now a similar TCM- Esther Williams collection with "Bathing Beauty," "On an Island With You,"Neptune's Daughter" and "Dangerous When Wet." It was under $15 when I looked a few minures ago.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Sean
CDUniverse has on sale right now a similar TCM- Esther Williams collection with "Bathing Beauty," "On an Island With You,"Neptune's Daughter" and "Dangerous When Wet." It was under $15 when I looked a few minures ago.
Richard:

Thanks for the tip! There is a two-disc version under the new label "Silver Screen Icons: Esther Williams Volume " that contains all four films that was was released by Warner Home Video on February 6, 2018. I'll probably wind up buying that one if my search for the four-disc TCM Greatest Classic Legends Film Collection: Esther Williams Volume 1 (Bathing Beauty, Dangerous When Wet, On An Island with You, Neptune's Daughter) that was released by Warner Home Video on August 5, 2014 proves fruitless.

Reactions: Richard M S

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
David
I just picked up Silver Screen Legends James Stewart with The FBI Story, The Stratton Story, The Spirit of St. Louis and The Shop Around the Corner (the reason I bought the DVD to begin with) .
This is kind of a huge risk in case these wind up on Blu ray. My hunch is, these are not priority titles for WAC - I usually dont buy too many DVDs these days because they are subject to Blu-ray

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
I just picked up Silver Screen Legends James Stewart with The FBI Story, The Stratton Story, The Spirit of St. Louis and The Shop Around the Corner (the reason I bought the DVD to begin with) .
This is kind of a huge risk in case these wind up on Blu ray. My hunch is, these are not priority titles for WAC - I usually dont buy too many DVDs these days because they are subject to Blu-ray
I bought this a year or two ago to get The Shop Around the Corner (one of my favorite Stewart pictures) and because I had never seen The FBI Story before. All four played beautifully for me on initial viewing.

Douglas R

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Doug
"Roman Spring of Mrs Stone" from the Tennesee Williams Collection wouldn't play in my Toshiba DVD player but played OK in my LG Blu-ray player.

Robin9

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Robin
In the past few days I've watched three Elizabeth Taylor movies on Warner Archives DVD-Rs and they all played without any problem: Rhapsody, The Girl Who Had Everything and Julia Misbehaves.

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
In the past few days I've watched three Elizabeth Taylor movies on Warner Archives DVD-Rs and they all played without any problem: Rhapsody, The Girl Who Had Everything and Julia Misbehaves.
I've been buying Warner Archives MOD discs since day one and have yet to have one go bad on me. It's the pressed discs that are going bad over time!

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
William Edwards
I hope Shoot the Moon comes out soon on Blu Ray (ditto Orphans from 1987), we can never can enough Albert Finney on Blu Ray.

Just finished watching The Night of the Iguana and it played fine.

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Likewise. I actually feel more comfortable buying a Warner Archive DVD-r than the 2006-era WHV pressed equivalent.
I well remember when the Warners Archive MOD program was introduced in 2009 and the hysteria among film collectors that these burned discs would "rot" or go bad in a matter of a few years. 10 years later, I wonder what these naysayers have to say about it now especially with the irony of the pressed discs going bad instead.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
David
My DVD of Lady Killer worked fine, I finally got around to it as I read some reports that DVD became faulty

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm going to be reviewing the new Blu-ray of 8mm in a few days, and while I wait for the review copy to arrive, I took out my DVD to listen ahead of time to the audio commentary by the director.

This is one of those DVDs with the widescreen version on one side and the open matte version on the other, and the widescreen side was corrupted: it would not play in either player I tried it in. Thankfully, the open matte side played fine, and I was able to get the commentary track listened to.

The disc isn't Warners, BTW, but was a co-production between Universal/Sony, but I thought I'd mention it here in case others who have the DVD want to check out their copies.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mathew00120