What's new

Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play (3 Viewers)

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Has anybody has issues with The Shakespeare Collection DVD boxset released By Warner Brothers in 2007 that contains Hamlet 2-Discs Special Edition, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Othello, and Romeo and Juliet: https://www.warnerbros.com/studio/news/shakespeare-collection-dvd-warner-home-video

I just purchased the boxset on Ebay yesterday. I know Aunt Peg (William) reported playback issues with A Midsummer Night's Dream on this thread back in February 2018.

Yes, my AMND doesn't play anymore. I last watched it a couple of years.

I haven't been updating on this thread the past 3 and a half months. I had a holiday for six weeks from the beginning of September and when I returned home in mid October I had a huge number of films to see at various film festivals.

In early December I committed the mortal sin of signing of to Netflix and have been watching films for the last 3 weeks that I wanted to see that I otherwise wouldn't be able to without Netflix. I should finish those up by the first week of January.

I expect to get back to my one Warners a weeks check after the new year and will report my findings.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
I would respond by noting that that the titles are individually available through the WAC and as such an exchange is still very much possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they try the same thing when I try exchanging one of my Errol Flynn sets. Good luck.

I responded and referenced their availability in the MOD program and now the mailer is en route.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Warner Brothers Shakespeare Collection DVD set that I purchased on Ebay for a very good price arrived today and I can report the following:

Hamlet Two-Disc Edition - haven't played the first disc yet, but the second disc arrived scratched so I am purchasing an individual replacement copy from a retailer
Othello - stopped playing completely at about the hour and a half mark; I am purchasing an individual replacement copy from a retailer
A Midsummer Night's Dream - the disc is severely fogged so I didn't even bother playing it; I am purchasing an individual replacement copy from a retailer
Romeo and Juliet - playing it now and will update later

3 out of the 4 films having issues is beyond frustrating :angry:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Update: Make that 4 out of 4 films; Romeo and Juliet froze an hour and 23 minutes into the film.

So I've cancelled my individual replacement orders from a retailer and I am sending the set back to the Ebay vendor for a full refund. It is very aggravating as I was looking forward to watching all 4 films.

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
my Act of violence / Mystery street along with Illegal / The Big Steal bit the dust ..time to contact Sherri again
Now Im watching Where Danger Lives / Tension to make sure those are OK. Tension was not.. it skipped a lot..

Everyone should check Warners Film Noir Volume 4 ! :)

Last edited:

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I watched Border Incident from the Film Noir 3 Box Set, thankfully it played just fine. What a movie - I could not believe Anthony Mann got this through MGM in 1949.

I know this is a dvd thread, but I also wanted to watch my bluray of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance - and it would not play anywhere. The bluray has a Paramount and Warner logo, so I don't know if contacting Warners would do any good. Luckily since it is one of my favorite films, I held onto the older Paramount DVD which played without any issues!

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I recently purchased a Like New copy of Land of the Pharaohs on Ebay and it plays perfectly.

I don't know if this just me being paranoid or what, but when I try to purchase some of these Warner titles off of ebay, I try to find copies from areas that have low humidity (Arizona, Nevada, etc.). If higher humidity levels are to blame for these defective discs, then I'd like to hedge my bets a bit. I'm glad to read that your disc plays well.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched the 1940 Pride and Prejudice on DVD tonight. Around the 1 hour 28 minute mark, my disc began a stutter or two and pixilated a few lines on the screen, and then it snapped back to normal for the remainder of the movie. That's usually a sure sign of failure in the future. The second layer is beginning to deteriorate, I suspect.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I tried emailing Sherri through that link and kept getting an error message..Im not sure what happened

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
I tried emailing Sherri through that link and kept getting an error message..Im not sure what happened

Hmmm. I recently emailed her. [email protected] is her email address. She responded right away this time.

Has anyone contacted her multiple times? I have contacted her twice now and I feel a little guilty. I shouldn’t!

I just wish they had an official disc replacement program in place. I’m nervous about the discs in box sets where only one or two discs is bad. Is it only a matter of time before the others go, or am I safe at this point? I guess you never know.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did it through a Warner Bros. customer service link - but next time this happens Ill email her directly. I thought she was in my contacts oh well

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just finished watching Wild Boys of the Road from the Forbidden Hollywood Volume Three and it played fine.

Have to admit that I won't be watching any of the others because I have only purchased the boxset for Wild Boys and have no desire to ever revisit any of the other films.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Watched Zabriskie Point and it played fine but I have a feeling that the disc is outside the year range effected.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I recently purchased the following and all discs played perfectly:

The Prodigal (individual release from the Cult Camp Classics Volume 4)

Warner Home Video Collection (Hamlet, A Midsummer Nights Dream, Othello, and Romeo and Juliet)

Giigi Two-Disc Special Edition

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I tried to watch Lucky Me last night. All went well until mid-way through chapter 25 and then . . . disaster. It's Region free so I tried it in a different player: exactly the same non-result.. Great shame as I like this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks