Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched another in the Joan Crawford Volume 2 box set tonight - Sadie McKee. It worked great until it got to the layer change, and then the disc was as dead as a doornail.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I watched another in the Joan Crawford Volume 2 box set tonight - Sadie McKee. It worked great until it got to the layer change, and then the disc was as dead as a doornail.
That one has been documented and is one of the titles that has been an epidemic. I did get the MOD replacement and disowned the OOP Volume 2 :)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I played a Joan Crawford film tonight that was NOT a part of the Volume 2 box set: Dancing Lady. It played through without incident.

I noticed that an HD transfer of this movie is available on iTunes, and I could tell watching this DVD that work had been done on the film. It looked very good in SD.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I put in the DVD of The Damned Don't Cry from the first Joan Crawford DVD collection, and it played just fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheSteig

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Unfortunately, the replacement pressed disc of Act of Violence/Mystery Street that ordered from Amazon pixelated and froze at the opening WB logo :angry: It's on its way back for a full refund.

I purchased a new pressed disc version from a different seller on Amazon and will update once it arrives.
After 5 tries, I was finally able to obtain a copy of Act of Violence/Mystery that actually plays all the way through without any glitches.

Reactions: Tony Bensley

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
THAT would be way too aggravating a journey...
Oh it was, Mike. I was on verge of purchasing the Warner Archive MOD burned disc version, but this last vendor's "like new" pressed disc copy played perfectly.

The only experience that I can think o that came close to this one was a defective disc in Liberation Entertainment's Daniel Boone Season 5 that took 4 tries to get it right.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Over the past few weeks, I've been playing through some of the Warner Bros. Agatha Christie Collection of made-for-TV films, and they all play just fine. In the past few days I've watched A Caribbean Mystery and Murder in Three Acts, and there hasn't been any problem with them at all.

Reactions: Darby67

Mark Y

Screenwriter
This isn't Warner (sorry, didn't want to start a thread just for this) but I have a Disney Treasures disc -- Mickey Mouse In Living Color Volume 2 (Disc 1) which will not play at all on two different players. Says "Disc Error." Haven't pulled it out in years, was fine the last time I played it. I checked a bunch of other Disney Treasures and they are fine.

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
This isn't Warner (sorry, didn't want to start a thread just for this) but I have a Disney Treasures disc -- Mickey Mouse In Living Color Volume 2 (Disc 1) which will not play at all on two different players. Says "Disc Error." Haven't pulled it out in years, was fine the last time I played it. I checked a bunch of other Disney Treasures and they are fine.
Sorry to hear that. I just pulled out my copy and the disc played fine. I think Vol 2 is one of the easier and less expensive WDTs to replace.

Reactions: Mark Y

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I watched Dr. X and was going to revisit The Return of Dr. X even though it isnt a good movie, but it wouldn't play.. so another Warner defect :/

Arthur Powell

Second Unit
Real Name
Arthur
I watched Dr. X and was going to revisit The Return of Dr. X even though it isnt a good movie, but it wouldn't play.. so another Warner defect :/
If it makes you feel any better, all three discs of that Warner collection have rotted on me. 2006 seems to have been a banner year for disc rotting for Warner. Anyway, that collection is sitting in a pile of discs that I've been meaning to contact Sherri about - I think I'll just go ahead and wait until the new year.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dan13