Warner DVD's not working thread - watch to make sure they still play

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding GOLD RAIDERS (1951), is the MOD only available via the US only WB Shop, or can it also be ordered through TCM and/or Movies Unlimited?

CHEERS! :)
https://www.moviesunlimited.com/gold-raiders-meet-the-baron/888574651756
The cover art shows the WAC insignia. Actually, I thought that WB didn't have the rights to Gold Raiders anymore. Now I see Warners providing both a WAC DVD-r and an Amazon download option for the film!
That's what I was previously told by Sherri Bogard several months back. Perhaps, GOLD RAIDERS' availability on The Warner Archive is a recent development, then?

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Regarding GOLD RAIDERS (1951), is the MOD only available via the US only WB Shop, or can it also be ordered through TCM and/or Movies Unlimited?

That's what I was previously told by Sherri Bogard several months back. Perhaps, GOLD RAIDERS' availability on The Warner Archive is a recent development, then?

You can get it from amazon.ca.
Ah! So recent, it's actually a preorder for June 12! Thanks for the heads up, Nick! :)

EDIT: Here's a more direct link for the Amazon Canada pre-order: https://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Raiders-...aiders+dvd&dpPl=1&dpID=51Qv+YlLtyL&ref=plSrch

Last edited:

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, one specific note re: Forbidden Hollywood vol 2. I saw a post at criterionforum about this specific disc, and the poster said that their copy seemed to get a residue on it because it was the one disc of the set that was touching the outer side of the fold-up packaging - they washed off the residue and then the disc worked again. The residue later built up again for presumably the same reason, and again it could be washed off.

You said your copy looked foggy - maybe try a washing with warm water and dish soap (and then let it thoroughly dry out before attempting to play).
Thanks for this tip. Will try this, and will be double-checking a second (presently sealed) copy of my Popeye Vol 1 to see where it was manufactured - for here we are, June 1st. I've had no reply yet from Warner Customer Service on my query posted there around May 10th.

Certainly understand if that department's backlogged with queries....

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
Thanks for this tip. Will try this, and will be double-checking a second (presently sealed) copy of my Popeye Vol 1 to see where it was manufactured - for here we are, June 1st. I've had no reply yet from Warner Customer Service on my query posted there around May 10th.

Certainly understand if that department's backlogged with queries....
Did you email Sherri directly? I sent an email to the general customer service email and never got a reply. I emailed Sherri and she got back to me in about a week.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Watched the 1940's Mighty Joe Young and it played fine, though it should be noted that the disc was pressed in 2005 just prior to the problem disc from 2006-2009.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Several months ago, I discovered that Roberta from the Astaire-Rogers box set had gone bad. Tonight I watched Top Hat, and it played just fine.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Just checked my Popeye Volume 1 set, discs 2 AND 3 are bad. Emailed Sherri Bogard about possible replacements.

Checked all discs of Flintstones Season 3 based on comments here and those seem fine.

Looking more carefully at comments here, it seems that these problem discs were made around the same time as the HD-DVDs which had a ridiculously high failure rate. I had nearly every title on that format and keep having Warner discs go bad. Just checked and pulled 7 of those that no longer play at all or freeze up at some point. I've given up on that format at this point; I could track down every copy of those for sale out there and it's likely none would play perfectly or go bad later.

Funny however that Technicolor Mexico seems to be more reliable now, as they were pretty bad 10 or so years ago.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Funny however that Technicolor Mexico seems to be more reliable now, as they were pretty bad 10 or so years ago.
IIRC, Technicolor had two disc manufacturing facilities in Mexico. One had IFPI code KK** while the other one had IFPI code KM**. (The latter might have been previously owned by a company named CMCA Deluxe).

At its worse, the Universal double-sided flipper discs fiasco from the mid-2000s (many tv season sets) typically had defective discs with IFPI KM**

Once Warner dropped Cinram and went to Technicolor in mid-2010, Warner also started to manufacture their double-sided flipper discs at Technicolor's plant with IFPI code KM** until it was eventually closed down.

Last edited:

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I checked my Rooney/Garland collection in view of the comments about that set and sure enough none of them played on my Panasonic DVD player. However three of them played on my new LG 4K Blu-ray player. The one that didn't being "Babes in Arms" which kept stuttering at chapter changes. The bonus disc played in part only.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just checked my Popeye Volume 1 set, discs 2 AND 3 are bad. Emailed Sherri Bogard about possible replacements.
Only one disc in my Popeye Volume 1 set plays on my DVD player but fortunately they all play in my LG Blu-ray player, although some of them skip the menu at start up. The solution in some cases seems to be to play them in a Blu-ray player, although is that what most are doing anyway?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
One can also ask whether some of these playback problems, might be due to a player flaking out as it gets older.

Less common but more insidious, I've come across a few bluray players which are really flaky at playing dvd and cd discs. But they play bluray discs fine. (ie. The dvd and cd sections seemed like it was added in as an afterthought).

Mooshkin

Grip
Real Name
Angela
One can also ask whether some of these playback problems, might be due to a player flaking out as it gets older.

Less common but more insidious, I've come across a few bluray players which are really flaky at playing dvd and cd discs. But they play bluray discs fine. (ie. The dvd and cd sections seemed like it was added in as an afterthought).
I don’t know. I’ve tried playing some in a DVD drive connected to my computer and they still don’t work. Also, if the player plays other DVDs fine, then it would seem to be more of a disc issue.

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Not with all my failures. I've tried them in old DVD players and new and old Blu Ray players. At best I've had a film like Dance Girl Dance not play in any machines, except my newest blu ray player. I think sometimes you can get a disc that simply won't play in a player and played fine in everything else. These however, are basically failing in every player and if you have a disc like I did with Dance Girl Dance that will only play in the newest machine, you can pretty much bet that it's not going to play in a years time.

By the way I watch the DVD of The Asphalt Jungle (which I think came up prior to the problem disc) and it played fine.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
No its not the player, its already been determined that the Warner discs that came out 9-10 years ago have gotten faulty - that's why you will same some posts mentioning the same titles such as "I love you again" from the Powell/Loy set and why so many WB titles are mentioned in general. That's probably at least one reason why many are getting released as MOD or blu ray

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I've been lucky. The only Warner disc that I have had go bad is Operation Crossbow which again was a pressed DVD-9 the only discs I have ever had fail. so far only about 15-20 failures since 1997 with well over 3,500 discs so not that bad Still Never had a flipper or a professional made DVD-R fail.

Reactions: TheSteig

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
Just finished watching There Was A Crooked Man (1970) and it played fine.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Niloc