Warner DVD-A price-drops coming....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ReggieW, Jun 12, 2002.

1. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

DVDAUDIOWORLD.COM reports in their 6/12/02 update that Warner is dropping the prices of their dvd-a titles from 24.98 to 19.98 or lower. The price decreases will either be 25% or 33% depending on the title. Some over at audioasylum claim Warner is clearing out their dvd-a stock out to start producing sacd's (this is total nonsense of course). We should expect an announcement soon from Warners. Personally, I am not surprised that Warner has decided to lower prices, as this was definitely an obstacle which was keeping it out of the consumers hands. With more popular titles coming and Hardware and media being cheaper than ever, we will hopefully see a surge in interest for more dvd-a titles. Let us hope.

Reg

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

MORE AND BETTER TITLES are the answer, not lower prices. Though lower prices are definitely welcome. [​IMG]
    NP: Steely Dan "Can't Buy A Thrill"

3. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

Lower prices would help, its hard to compete with SACD's when they are 5 dollars more. I understand though as it costs more to produce multi channel mixes versus the two channel that most of the SACD's are.

4. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Philip,

Warner is now eliminating cost as a differentiating factor between the formats. IIRC, Silverline was already pricing titles at US$19.98.

The best sounding DVD-A titles (from Chesky and AIX) are still carrying a price premium, and probably will for the forseeable future -- they simply don't have the economy of scale that Warner has.

As for the titles, time will tell. 120 titles have been committed to by a label that isn't Warner over the next 12 months.

Regards,

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Philip,
    I agree, content rules. I have (at times) capacity for both, and am waiting on a particular DVD/SACD player to become available before I add SACD permanently.
    My point, perhaps not perfectly made, is that the cost differential argument is starting to see some erosion. [​IMG]
    Regards,

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Gosh darnit I need to get me a SACD player... [​IMG]
    NP: Kennedy Kirkpatrick Madeira & Sprague: "Coming From Somewhere Else"

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Philip said:

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

10. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Personally, I'll be interested to see what a couple of the online stores do with their prices. I typically buy most of my dvd-a's from DVD Planet. They sell their discs around 25% off true retail (not the inflated retail used by some sites). Silverline titles are $17.24-$17.49 and the rest including Warner are $18.74. There are a few higher but there are also some as low as $14.50. If Warner drops their retail from $24.98 down to $19.98 or less as announced, and DVD Planet continues to sell at the same discount, that means the Warner titles could be had for $14.99 or less which would be great news. That would definately put them in the same price range as redbook cd's.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, I've been wondering what the discount e-tailers will do in response to Warner's price drop. Hopefully they will lower the prices even further.

12. Micahel C

Micahel C Stunt Coordinator

Keith, We can only hope. One thing for certain if they do. I will be buying a lot more titles. I tend to purchase those dvd-a's from the artists I'm familar with at DVD Planet. I then look for deals on ebay for those discs I'm not familar with. Picked up the new Silverline Sham 69 title a couple days ago for a buck plus $4.00 shipping. If it turns out I don't like it, I won't be out that much green. Cheaper than buying it for $18.00 and finding out it's a lemon.

BTW, did you locate a copy of the new Toto IV mc yet? Like you, I normally go to BB for new sacd's on the day they come out. The one here in Reno normally gets one or two copies of the newest stuff. I seem to be one of the few who knows where they are in the store so I can almost always get the titles I want. In this case though I bought mine at Tower since they're still running their sale. At $17.99, it was a great buy. Normally, I won't go into Tower due to their high prices on both sacd and dvd-a, but hey, a sale is a sale.

13. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Micahel, if the prices of DVD-Audio discs drop a few bucks, I will pick up Paul Simon You're the One, Eric Clapton Reptile, and B.B. King & Eric Clapton Riding with the King. I have the CDs, and the music is great. The CDs sound great too, so I can only imagine how the DVD-Audio discs sound. With the current high prices of DVD-Audio discs, I've been holding off on buying the ones I want and have been buying CDs and SACDs instead.

As for the Toto IV multi-channel SACD, I saw two copies at a Best Buy near me today. They were each priced $19.99 and I passed for now. I am still looking for reviews from people who have compared the stereo and multi-channel SACDs to see if the stereo track on the multi-channel version is free of pops. In the end, I will probably go out and buy the new version and see for myself.

Best Buy stores in my area rarely get new titles. They have gotten the multi-channel versions of the Toto album and of Dave Brubeck Time Out. They had the stereo versions before and probably got the multi-channel versions simply because the stereo versions are out of print. I don't take it as a sign of these stores making an effort to stock new titles. The Best Buy stores in my area generally have not been getting in new titles. The lone exception is a brand new store outside of Philly that has the Hilary Hahn, Peter White, and Steve Tyrell SACDs. This is the only Best Buy store in my area that has these SACDs. It must have something to do with the new store getting stock for the first time at a later date than the older stores did. Simply put, the older stores in my area are not replenishing their stock. I'm sure that the new store will not replenish stock either. Whatever they initially get is what you have to choose from for a long time to come. I have come to expect little beyond that.