Warner Controversial Classics Collection May!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John Hodson, Feb 7, 2005.

1. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    From the DVD Talk forum:

From USA Today (2/7):

On May10th Warner will release its Controversial Classics Collection:
    I am a Fugitive From a Chain Gang (1932)
    Fury (1936)
    Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
    Blackboard Jungle (1955)
    A Face in the Crowd (1957)
    Advise and Consent (1962)
    The Americanization of Emily (1964)

All will contain a commentary or feature about the films impact and legacy.

$20.00 each or $80.00 for the set

Dear God; won't they leave my wallet alone? [​IMG]

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

Count me in

[​IMG]

3. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    FURY and BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK are two of my most wanted titles so this news makes me very happy. After watching M earlier this year I was really hoping Warner would release FURY. I AM A FUGITIVE and BLACKBOARD are also highly wanted titles. I haven't seen the others but I'll certainly be buying this set.

However, seeing the brilliant work Warner is doing also makes me sad because it's clear the other studios, especially Fox with all the goodies they own, just don't care. Hopefully they'll see what Warner is doing and do the same.

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Wow!

Another amazing boxset from WB. I've only seen 3 of those titles, but all 3 were excellent, and several of the others have been very high on my "To See" list.

5. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Holy S**T!!

A dream come true set for me!! Warners is totally Kicking ASS this year, and it ain't half over yet! I've only seen 2 of the titles, but I've heard nothing but good things about the others that I have to buy this!

Gangsters, Noir, contoversal Classics, Classic comedy collection. Warner's has got there Genre boxes down pat! My wish for October: HAMMER HORROR!

6. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i was planning on seriously curtailing my purchases this year, HD looming or not, (haven't bought any new to dvd releases since Dec) but Face In The Crowd will be one of the exceptions, as will ...Emily, a film i have wanted to see for a few years now.

it would have been great to see Over The Edge included in this promotion. i don't see it being out of place from a thematic criteria, and if anything it would have just enlarged the scope of the decade spanning choices they already have.

7. FrankXS

FrankXS Stunt Coordinator

Warner is the Super Bowl Champion of Classic DVD !
    I wouldn't be surprised if we get a Garbo Set in June because I believe that will be her 100th birthday.
    All of this Controversial Classics Set are "must-sees". If you haven't seen Fritz Lang/Spencer Tracy's Fury you will be amazed when you see it. George & Company just keep outdoing themselves at Warner.

8. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I've only seen BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK on TCM and actually posted about it's release a couple months ago but WB has my money on this one for sure!

Why is this titled the CONTROVERSIAL collection, though - can someone fill me in on the context surrounding these films?

Thx!

9. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    That's a really impressive lineup, but when I first read the title of this thread I was sort of hoping to see Ken Russell's THE DEVILS (1971) listed here. Oh well, I guess that one is still a little TOO controversial.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Because each film tackled a controversial subject such as prison reform, vigilantism, racism and juvenile deliquency.

Crawdaddy

11. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Ah! Mine!

Warner just seem to go from strength to strength.

I have been thinking about all seven of those films recently and had desperately wanted to see them again - 'synchronicity', as Jung would say! [​IMG]

12. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

I think the theme is pretty tenuous this time around, but WB's policy of trying to group its releases around a theme (and release them as a set for substantial savings) is a great policy. And I'd buy something called the "Guys who went on to star in successful sitcoms collection" if it allowed me to get Face in the Crowd.

The Americanization of Emily is by far my favorite Paddy Chayefsky movie, too.

It would be nice if they could get the John Sturges Bad Day at Black Rock commentary from Criterion, but I suppose that's not likely.

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Great set and great to see anohter julie Andrews classid.
    Emily was remixed for stereo on Laser and I hope we see that mix on the new dvd as well.

14. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway

I don't think that's completely fair to Fox. They've released quite a lot of great classic films over the last 2+ years. I just picked up The Grapes of Wrath for $10. A steal.

15. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

The price of THE GRAPES OF WRATH is all well and good, and they have released several dozen vintage classics. But let's face it, Fox can't shine Warner's shoes when it comes to classics, in terms of quality, marketing, presentation, and promotion.

This newly announced set has my mouth watering. Each film is truly a masterpiece, and despite their respective ages, each one carries a powerful punch.

16. Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott Lead Actor

Michael Elliott
    Brandon, I use to be high on their Studio Classic line but one classic a month just isn't cutting it anymore. I became a lot more harsh when I realized how many classics from the 1930's they own. They could do their own sets full of Cagney, Young, Ford and various others. Not to mention Chan, Moto and others.

17. Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway captveg

Brandon Conway
    I'm not saying Warner isn't raising the bar to a extremely high level, because they are. I'm simply saying that Fox is doing a lot more than outright "not caring".

18. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Great titles in the set though perhaps Warners' most controversial film in its history isn't part of the set, unfortunately. Elia Kazan's film of Tennessee Williams' Baby Doll was condemned by the Catholic church, denounced in the pulpit by Cardinal Spellman and banned in several cities and even went to the Illinois supreme court in one case. Now THAT'S controversial.

19. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    Warner keeps putting out these boxes, and I keep buying 'em!!

In defense of Fox, they are a much smaller studio than Warner. I think they are doing the best they can with more limited resources. Warner is clearly number one for classics, but Fox would have to be number two. IMO everybody else is as far behind Fox as Fox is behind Warner.

Obviously, this doesn't include the boutique lines like Criterion, Home Vision, etc.

20. TonyDale

TonyDale Second Unit

Only yesterday, I finally hung my original posters from both versions of THE AMERICANIZATION OF EMILY (the second being the retitled, EMILY)!
    My favorite James Garner & Coburn performances, great turn from Joyce Grenfell, and JULIE is sublime. "Don't be an ass."
    Also my choice as best Paddy Chayevsky script.