What's new

Warner Chat Thoughts (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I thought the chat went well and am also surprised by some of the comments here. If you can't bother to attend the chat, don't whine that your question wasn't asked! Like all chats, there is some repetition, mainly due to people showing up late, and this is understandable.
Given the amount of animosity directed at Warner over the past couple of months, plus the ongoing Snapper issue (I still think they should steal AOL's keepcases and ship those AOL discs in Snappers instead), it is not surprising that there may have been some tension in the air. I was disappointed (but not surprised) with the reply to my question, but not because it was in any way rude, just because the titles I asked about weren't on the slate.
I think it is entirely gracious of the studios to allot us time for these events, and we should be appreciative of it, even if all the obscure films we would love to see come out aren't being responded to the way we'd like them to be.
I would make the comment to Warner that I was NEVER a buyer of VHS, and am not alone in catching the collecting bug as DVD came on the scene, so basing sales on how VHS collectors bought may not be an ideal model for what would sell to the DVD market.
I thank Warner for coming, and hope they'll come again.
My Mac IRC client (Ircle) works quite well BTW.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Like i have in many other posts about last nights chat would like to thank WB once again, and again.
They answered many of the things I was intrested in such as
B5-Im sure the first will sell well enough to get seasons
Batman ANimated series
Batman:ROTJ Unrated
Robin Hood:Prince of theives
and many others
Capt

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
With all the excitement concerning Warner-owned Mummy films, I am surprised they didn't haul out the RKO Wheeler and Woolsey "classic" MUMMY'S BOYS.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I was going to ask about an Around the World in Eighty Days: 2-disc SE. Also, I was going to ask about The Thin Man, MGM/WB silents, Cats Don't Dance, and the remaining AFI 100 titles WB hasn't released yet. I highly doubt WB has any plans for the silents on DVD...even though I'd pick up DVD's of Greed and Ben-Hur as soon as they hit the shelfs, I know WB would lose money on them. After all, silents have never been a hot item. It's no surprise that none of the major studios have released silents...they're all on Image discs or crappy public domain discs.
(I meant that the only silents out are PD or ones released by Image)
Around the World in Eighty Days has never gotten a proper presentation on video EVER or even on TV...even "bad" old DVD's like Goodfellas got the correct aspect ratio and 5.1 sound.
(ADD: Goodfellas DOES need an SE, but I'm just using an example. It's like reparing a window with a small crack before installing another one in a wall without one.)
It's a real shame that people asked questions about snappers, the Superman DVD's extended cut and new sound mix, and repeated questions. Every time a dumb question like "When are you getting rid of snappers!??!" or "Why did you butcher Superman on DVD?" I thought of potentially excellent questions like "When are the Thin Man movies coming?" or "Are there plans for the MGM/WB silents?"
(ADD: I understand a lot of people don't like snappers or the new Superman cut, although Director-approved, but in a chat where mentioning an obscure title could get it restored and released is a lot more fun. I respect question choices, but the whole snapper thing isn't as important as getting a title released. Anyone can put their DVD's in a different case, but not release a classic on DVD.)
I also think we should change the way we get to ask questions. The whole "yo" thing is determined by how fast your ISP is. I think it would be better for us to do these chats "Yahoo!" style by sending our questions to a moderator and the moderator takes out the repeated questions and needless questions.
I'm also surprised that the chat was only 90 minutes long...the chat barely touched on WB's classics!
All was not lost, though. We did find out that Bringing Up Baby and The Adventures of Robin Hood are in the works!
Warner was a great guest and they really got to the point. Am I the only one who detected some sarcasm in that "flat comedies" blurb? Thanks for HTF putting this together.
------------------
Visit my DVD review site, 24 fps DVD Reviews @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
and
The Colorized Cartoon Database @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/
[Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 17, 2001 at 05:57 PM]

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
my laugh of the night came from Derek_vanVliet, who obviously used a /timer to set up his 'Yo' to get picked, but then failed to turn it off by the time he was up for a question and then:
YO
YO
YO
YO
biggrin.gif

Chad Gregory

Supporting Actor
(Warner) Is there a great demand for 1.85 Flat Comedies to be seen widescreen?
I have to answer a resounding YES to that question. I guess my immediate thought is the benefit of anamorphic enhancement. Not to mention the large problem with not presenting OAR.
Best News - European Vacation, I only wish that Warner would reconsider there stance on flat comedies and re-release the original and Christmas Vacation with anamorphic special editions.
Overall, a good experience. Sometimes you have to step back and appreciate what you have received, not just bitch about what you didn't get.
Chad

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I don't think its entirely accurate to say the the 'Yo' method is dependant on your isp speed, I am using a small isp in New Zealand and got into the second round of questions. What it is slightly more determined by is lag to whatever server you are on (always try to get the closest one).
the other tip of course is 'Be Ready', I sit there with 'Yo' typed out and as soon as I see Ron set -m I just hit 'enter'.

BarryR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BARRY RIVADUE
Heck, if they're going to deal with Wheeler & Woolsey (yeah, right), I'd much prefer DIPLOMANIACS, RIO RITA and THE CUCKOOS. :)

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
I'm glad this discussion has turned toward the positive.
I for one wanted a second opportunity to address Warner, not to ask a question, but to THANK them for their answers. I came in expecting the typical "not at this time" type answers. While we did get a bit of that, Warner was EXTREMELY open about some of their behind-the-scenes marketing decisions, and the status of some of their titles.
How many other studios have told us when titles are awaiting restoration or in need of new transfers? Usually we're just told "not at this time"...
And who else has ever told us what factors keep more obscure titles off their release schedule? I can fully understand past VHS sales indicating the desire for a title. DVD inspires more purchases and enchances "collectibility," but the general prospects for certain products can't be too much different than the VHS days.
= Derek =

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I think the snapper question is very valid. I see people at retail all the time cursing the "cheap cardboard case" and refusing to buy them. As the last holdout in this inferior and less popular case, the question is quite appropriate.
------------------
Link Removed | Burt Lancaster is Link Removed | dOc

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I was glad to see Warner; after all, they don't have to come. It was good to hear Clash of the Titans... and Every Which Way But Loose/Any Which Way You Can is coming...
Thanks, Ron, for getting that question in for me!

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
Ron Epstein: "Then you guys complain about the questions that were asked. Don't you think that the questions
asked were important to the people that asked them?
Not everyone has obscure tastes in film."
- Yes, I think that every question that was asked was important to everyone who asked them, and I realize that with a tight-fisted company like Warner Bros, that there were quite a few titles to ask about. As for not everyone being into obscure titles, that was a direct shot at me and my statements earlier. Sorry, Ron...not everyone's into the stuff you like either, believe me. The same kind of prejudice comes toward a lot of us, who ask for horror or sci-fi titles. They're not "respectable" so the HTF mods belittle us most of the time. I see it in thread after thread here. Start up 20 Episode One threads, but if you have more than one thread dealing with...oh, let's say Friday the 13th Part 7...it'll get deleted and you'll receive a warning by the mods.
HTF Puppet: "If you can't bother to attend the chat, don't whine that your question wasn't asked! Like all chats, there is some repetition, mainly due to people showing up late, and this is understandable."
- Well, if I'm to be chastised for not being able to attend, I think people who arrive late should either not ask questions or ask around to see if their questions have been asked yet or not. I hate the amount of questions that are wasted because people ask the same stuff over and over. It's not always a big deal, as some studios are nicer and will talk to us for quite a while (Fox). Others only give us 1 hour and 45 minutes. In a timeframe like that, any repeated question is a useless question that only wastes time that could've been given toward legit, original questions. Don't you guys think the studio reps get tired of answering the same question over and over and over? I would think the moderators would be against anything that wastes the studio people's time.
And overall, if some of us feel that Warner Bros left something to be desired after last night's chat, then that's what we believe. We're not expected to think everything's great just because Ron and some of the other HTF higher-ups don't want to piss the studios off. I do thank Warner Bros. for coming and chatting with the HTF and I hope to see them come back in the future. I just don't think the Warner chat got much accomplished because of too many missed opportunities. When they asked about the OAR of comedies, it took a long while before anybody even commented on it. Sounds like we sure support OAR on comedies!
rolleyes.gif

But once again, I can't complain since I wasn't able to attend. I am glad to see The Haunting, Strange Brew, and Dial M For Murder (though I wish it were in 3-D as it's supposedly one of the most stunning uses of 3-D ever) on their way in the future. I can't wait to chat with the Criterion rep, as I have many questions to ask them. You can bet I'll be there!

Steve Enemark

Second Unit
Every time a dumb question like "When are you getting rid of snappers!??!" or "Why did you butcher Superman on DVD?" I thought of potentially excellent questions like "When are the Thin Man movies coming?" or "Are there plans for the MGM/WB silents?"
The phrase "Monday Morning Quarterback" springs to mind, for some reason. Maybe you'll speak up during the next chat and spare us the "dumb" questions.
------------------
"Always make the audience suffer as much as possible" - Alfred Hitchcock

Rob T

Screenwriter
the answer about the snappers was sad to hear. Those cardboard cases are no good.
the answer on the comedy DVDs that are in full frame were also sad to hear. full frame is no good. give us OAR. that's how it is meant to be seen.
I was happy to hear that several animated Batman titles, Robin Hood: POT SE will coming.
I wasn't surprised by their B5 answer since they've been saying that for awhile. I will be buying the test disc and I'll be sure to alert my relatives that also like the show about it. :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Wes, you are WAY out of line!
First of all, nobody attacked you personally
in this thread. If it was your comment that
was basically insulting to those that had asked
questions you felt were not quality ones. I
simply put you back on track by letting you
know that ALL questions were important.
This chat will remain a LIVE venue, not
something to be prepared in advance. It is
the LIVE atmosphere and the spontaneous manner
of which questions are asked that make these
chats successful.
I think that the people that attend put the
most effort into these chats. Therefor, we
don't take questions in advance. Who is to say
those questions are more important than those
that people stayed up late to ask?
And let me touch upon something else, Wes Ray....
This forum is not here to please the studios.
More than anyone on this forum, I have gone up
and publicaly expressed my anger towards many
of the studios in the past. I got cut my PR
priviledges cut off, and nobody would talk to
me at some of the studios. But you know what?
We got some important issues out on this forum.
We had the balls to stand up and speak our minds.
The studios know this is a very powerful venue.
Through the past 2 years, I have personally gone
out to many of the studios and met the people that
represent the studios. The most astounding thing
I find is that they are normal, cool people like
most of us. They are in their 30s and 40s, and
love nothing more than to sit down and have a drink
with you and talk about their DVD passion. I see
THEIR side of DVD marketing and production. I hear
their frustrations of getting product out. This
is the side that many of you DON'T see. So, if I get
pissed off about the complaints and lack of
appreciation from time to time - now you understand why.
It's very easy for some to keep attacking the
studios and pointing fingers at them when we
don't get what we want. Well, allow me to play
Devil's advocate. Perhaps I know just a wee little
more than perhaps you do. Just look at how far
the studios have improved their DVD product in
the last year alone.
The chat process is not perfect, Sir. Yes,
people attend late and ask the same questions
that were already asked. Not too much we can do.
But you know what? They attend. And, these chats
have gone very well for us these past few years
and we aren't going to change a good thing.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well it seems obvious to me that warner still doesn't get it about oar on dvd's just going by these responses to these questions. the mike allred question and the richardsharpe ones came right in this exact order.
then later came my follow up question. so is it hopeless?
[Warner] Is a response required on the widescreen question? If we are met with the occasion to revisit a title released Full-Frame only in future, whether with the presence of a New Transfer or New Added Value, the Aspect Ratio question will be taken into account.
sorry if the format looks odd.
------------------

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor
I think the chats are run very well and have already mentioned how impressed I was with the speed that the thing was run with and I'll just make the same suggestion made previous of starting up a sister channel (just during the chat) that can remain unmoderated for discussion on the questions and answers (the guest would not be expected to be in here), this channel could serve the log of the chat up to that point in time for latecomers, and the original #HTF channel could have an onjoin message like 'Welcome to the HTF chat room, if you are late to this chat please also join #HTF2 to get up to date with what questions have been asked already, #HTF2 is also an appropriate place for discussion during the chat'
Of course I thought of a new question to replace my 'non-quesion' just as the chat finished , I would have asked a question along the lines "why do you think overseas markets have more cronological/season sets than region 1"

John Simon

Second Unit
I was unable to make the chat last night and was quite disappointed when I noticed in the transcript that no one asked about a Shawshank Redemption:SE. Anyone know if this if forthcoming? Or even being considered?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks