Warner Brothers to release DAMN YANKEES! on October 12th.

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Herb Kane, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Great news!
    -----------

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    PRESS RELEASE ATTACHED

WARNER HOME VIDEO HITS A HOME RUN

WITH THE DVD PREMIERE OF

DAMN YANKEES!

The Legendary Gwen Verdon Stars in the Acclaimed

Screen Version of the hit Broadway Smash

Featuring Such Great Songs as "Whatever Lola Wants" and ‘Heart"

Available October 12, 2004

BURBANK, CA (August 26, 2004) -- You might say, "the Devil made them do it," as Warner Home Video presents the DVD premiere of the 1958 classic musical Damn Yankees! on October 12, 2004. Remastered and restored for DVD, Damn Yankees! stars Gwen Verdon and Tab Hunter with Ray Walston as the Devil, in this film version of the hit Broadway musical (which ran for an astounding, at the time, 1019 performances) was co-directed by George Abbott (who directed it on stage) and Stanley Donen (Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Singin' in the Rain). With a memorable score by Richard Adler and Jerry Ross that includes such hit songs as "Whatever Lola Wants," "(You've Gotta Have) Heart," and "Two Lost Souls," Damn Yankees! is the story of a Washington Senators fan who makes a pact with the Devil to help his baseball team win the league pennant. Damn Yankees! Damn Yankees will become another terrific addition to our stellar offering of musical titles being released in October that includes Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and the That's Entertainment! Collection. The DVD is priced at $19.97.

"For years consumers have been waiting for Damn Yankees! to become available on DVD. Now, timed perfectly with the fall playoffs--which will have baseball on everyone’s minds -- the wait is over!" said George Feltenstein, WHV Senior VP, Classic Catalog.

In one of those rare instances, the film stars virtually the entire original Broadway cast in this musical adaptation of the novel The Year The Yankees Lost The Pennant. Choreographed by Bob Fosse, (who also appears on-screen and un-credited with Gwen Verdon in the number "Who's Got the Pain,") the film also stars Russ Brown, Shannon Bolin, Nathaniel Frey, Robert Shafer, James Komack, and Jean Stapleton. Damn Yankees! has been fully restored for this DVD release in color, Dolby Digital Mono 1.0 audio, 16x9 anamorphic (1.77 aspect ratio) picture and has a running time of 110 minutes.

Damn Yankees tells the story of Joe Boyd, a middle-aged baseball fanatic who would do anything to see his beloved Washington Senators win. He's so desperate for the Senators to win, that he sells his soul to the Devil for the chance to become the greatest ballplayer in the world and to lead the Senators out of the cellar into a pennant race with their archrivals, the New York Yankees. When Joe Boyd leaves his loving wife to become Joe Hardy, his victories soon pale as he realizes that what he left behind was as important as what he has achieved. The Devil, not wanting to lose this soul, enlists the help of his top vixen, Lola, to tempt Joe to remain forever young.

2. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

YOWZAH! I love this movie [​IMG]

3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Sounds good. And we didn't even have to sell our souls to get it. [​IMG]

4. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Alas, as with "The Pajama Game" no stereo soundtrack. I understand there was one but it's forever lost.

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Sold!! [​IMG]

Rob

6. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

I thought Warner only did anamorphic transfers for 1:85:1 and on.

Well, good news for fans of this movie.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I can't say I've seen this movie yet.

7. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG] Yikes! Yet another must-have for me in the 4th quarter of 2004!

[​IMG]

8. Jayson Wall

Jayson Wall Extra

Good news!!!The laserdisc can now be retired (I hope)....

Now, I would sell my soul if my beloved SF Giants would win a World Series

[​IMG]

9. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Great news!!!!!!!!!!!! Any extras?
    I hope "Finians Rainbow" is announced soon too!

10. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I know Warners didn't keep much of this stuff, but there was one more nujmber shot for the film, but not used. a reprise fo the Song "Theres Something about an empty chair - sung by Tab Hunter.
    If you haven't sen the film, go for it. Only problem for us Broadway buffs is that several great songs were cut from the film version.
    Two great ballads - A Man Doesn't Know and Near to You were cut , mainly cuz Tab Hunter couldn't sing them (yes, he was a pop singer, but not THAT kibnd of singer) and a song, The Game cuz the censors said no.
    On new song written for the film, thers something about an empty chair, frankly, sucks.
    Best Part of the film - the dancing. Bob Fosse choreography, danced by his wife, Gwen Verdon. Her dancing with her husband in Whos Got the pain is great, but here dancing in Two Lost Souls is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen.

11. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Great news. Been waiting for "Damn Yankees"

Also still waiting for "Finian's Rainbow" thought it would be released about the same time.

12. PaulEB

PaulEB Stunt Coordinator

Excellent news indeed!

13. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Was there ever a full reprise to the "You've gotta have Heart" number.
    From what I remember Maureen Stapleton was about to sing it, but I'm not sure if she starts it or if it was cut short in the last version I saw.

14. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

Your memory is a bit faulty, Doug. Not only is Maureen Stapleton NOT in in Damn Yankees, the song is sung by a group of male baseball players and their coach.

15. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Doug is not far off.
    the ORiginal song is by the football players.
    Doug asks about a REPRISE of the song. It was certainly recorded complete because it was one of the tracks warners sent to rCA for the album. (Warners later recalled the track).
    Jean and the kids begin to sing it in a benefit for Joe Harady, but I can't remember if they sang it complete.

16. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
  17. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I saw it first run and I don't remember it ever being in stereo. I can't think of any Warners 1:85 films that were in stereo, and The Pajama Game DVD is in mono, so this seems correct to me. There are always these tales of lost stereo soundtracks, but not all of them are true. Can't wait for this and the other releases that day.

18. William Miller

William Miller Stunt Coordinator

The DVD cover with the original art work is great. I especially love the blurb "Every song and every scene that made the show New York's greatest". Talk about false advertising. But it's a great movie and the DVD is most welcome.

19. Brian McHale

Brian McHale Supporting Actor

Brian McHale

There are some studios who aren't doing anamorphic for 1.66:1, but they're all doing it for 1.77:1 (or 1.78:1). Heck, 16:9 IS 1.78:1, so this had better be anamorphic.

Count me in as someone who's excited to have this coming out. Great movie!

20. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Jean, Maureen.
    Remind me to sack my proof reader.
    [​IMG]

On further reflection, I think that the reprise of "Heart" at the benefit is performed, but cut somewhat short. ( I always felt that it had been edited )

Thanks Joe for the album information.

Tab Hunter is as wooden as they come, but somehow or other he survives this movie.
    Gwen Verdon and Ray Walston are both sensational.

The Movie was renamed "What Lola Wants " when it was released here in Australia.
    The Australian RCA soundtrack album was also called "What Lola Wants" ( I just checked it and there is no reprise of "Heart" on the OZ LP either )