Warner Brothers: The M-G-M Gold Collection

Discussion in 'DVD' started by dana martin, Aug 28, 2005.

1. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    WB please take the time to remaster all of the M-G-M shorts, and put out a gold collection as you have with the looney tunes, i am uncertain completely how the ultra resolution system works, and understand that not all of the original negatives exist anymore. but the original unedited cartoons are available. the total of M-G-M shorts come to 315 , so if released in the same format at the LT GC, then that would amount to 5 or 6 collections. If possible, with some of the same wonderful extras. release them cronoligicy, so that the cinemascope ones can all be anamorphicly enhanced.

This is not the stepchild in animation that you own, this is a treasure trove, Tom & Jerry, Barney Bear, Screwy Squirrel, a wealth of Tex Avery, and the occasional one-shot, like the house of tomorrow.

I love the animation, be it the classic WB or M-G-M, and understand that the T&J spotlight collection on the first set had some problems, but this is the only way any of the other treasures will ever be seen on disc.

please give this some consideration,
    and hope others feel this way as well

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Add me to the list of people who would love to buy a set like this! The MGM toons really are a jewel in the history of Golden age cartoons, and easilly deserves the respect that the WB toons are getting.

Please release these unedited. I well take either Gold Collection, T&J Colection (unedited), Tex Avery Colection, whatver, I would just love to see these released with the same care as the wonderful Loony Tunes Gold Collections and Walt Disney Treasures.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

You all know my stance!

I would like to see all of the Happy Harmony cartoons, the early MGM color Boskos, the one-shots, Barney Bears and non-Avery Droopy's all released in a compilation package similar to the first (and only) Happy Harmonies laserdisc that was released in the 90's! I also want to see a COMPLETE & UNEDITED seperate collection of Tex Avery films made under MGM Studios.

This is long overdue and highly requested!!!

4. JeffSchiller

JeffSchiller Agent

Me Too Me Too!

I would really love to see the MGM colour Boskos and the Compleat Tex Avery re-mastered for DVD with similar wonderful extras that LTGCs have.

Jeff

5. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

Technicolor cartoons used a frame sequential exposure method with the yellow, cyan, and magenta images being on the same B&W negative. Basically, each cell was photographed 3 times, with the filters changed for each color record.

Therefore, differential shrinkage of the negative would not be an issue.

The correction of differential shrinkage of the 3 negatives used for live action photography, which is Ultra Resolutions main claim to fame should not be required to create a perfectly registered master for animation.

Ted

6. Kevin/M

Kevin/M Agent

As Much as i'd like to see a release of the MGM cartoons on DVD, all signs point to that being a lost cause.

Think about it, Wanrer has only very recently gotten around to putting the Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerrys on DVD (The latter being the only Non-Disney Animation DVD to date that suffers from PC edits), and we STill haven't gotten the Tex Avery Cartoons on DVD, censored or not. Warner probably isn't even aware of the fact that they own MGM's entire Cartoon Library from 1934 to 1967.And if HD-DVD/Blu-Ray renders DVD obsolete by the end of the decade, what then?

7. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    lot of great responses, and like stated they own MGM's entire Cartoon Library from 1934 to 1967, i actually got blasted by someone over at dvdtoons because of that fact that they would have to sit through the harmon-ising toons. maybe it is asking a lot, but compare it to this, we are on the 4th wave of Disney treasures. i know the factor is cost and if it will turn a profit. right now WB puts out one tune set a year, at roughly LIST: $64.92

i would be willing, to go that as well for these, because like stated minus the flinstones, not really into the HB productions. Also think their is hope, even after the blue ray/hd fallout, WB animation is starting to understand, hell i am finally getting the last of batman :). we just need to keep this going and get the support, then who knows, we go after fox for 1000 terry toons they are sitting on?

8. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    WB animation is going to have a separate chat from there catalog releases, is it possible that we may be able to have these addressed finally,
    Withe the third collection of looney tunes, and woopie goldberg to buffer any pc questions, how do you think the could address the MGM's and start over correctly again.