What's new

Warner Brothers releases "The Bogart Collection" (1 Viewer)

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

The Bogart Collection – 5 Disc Gift Box Set

Studio: Warner Brothers
Year: 1941-1948
Rated: Casablanca PG - Others Not rated
Film Length: 532 Minutes
Aspect Ratio: Standard
Audio: DD Mono
Color/B&W: B&W
Subtitles: English, French & Spanish
MSRP: $99.98
Package: DVD 5 Disc Gift Box Set
Catalog Number: 012569589728IE

The Features:

The Big Sleep - Private-eye Philip Marlowe is hired to keep an eye on General Sternwood's youngest daughter, Carmen, who has fallen into bad company and is likely to do some damage to herself and her family. He soon finds himself falling in love with her older sister, Vivien. The plot thickens when murder follows murder. Adapted from Raymond Chandler's novel by William Faulkner, Leigh Brackett and Jules Furthman.

Casablanca - Casablanca: easy to enter, but much harder to leave, especially if you're wanted by the Nazis. Such a man is Resistance leader Victor Laszlo (Paul Henreid), whose only hope is Rick Blaine (Humphrey Bogart), a cynical American who sticks his neck out for no one - especially Victor's wife Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman), the ex-lover who broke his heart. Ilsa offers herself in exchange for Laszlo's transport out of the country and bitter Rick must decide what counts more - personal happiness or countless lives hanging in the balance.

The Maltese Falcon - Some high-living lowlifes will stop at nothing to get their hands on the falcon. Detective Sam Spade, after the murder of his partner, is hounded by police and wants some answers. In his search he gets caught up in a complicated, intriguing hunt for the Maltese Falcon and for the person who's going to take the fall.

To Have And Have Not - Help the Free French? Not world-weary gunrunner Harry Morgan (Humphrey Bogart). But he changes his mind when a sultry siren-in-distress named Marie asks, "Anybody got a match?" That red-hot match is Bogart and actress Lauren Bacall. Full of intrigue and racy banter, this thriller excites further interest for what it has and has not. Cannily directed by Howard Hawks and smartly written by William Faulkner and Jules Furthman, it doesn't have much similarity to the Ernest Hemingway novel that inspired it. And it strongly resembles Casablanca: French resistance fighters, a piano-playing bluesman (Hoagy Carmichael) and a Martinique bar much like Rick's Cafe Americaine. But first and foremost, it showcases Bogart and Bacall, carrying on with a passion that smolders from the tips of their cigarettes clear through to their souls.

Treasure Of The Sierra Madre - Dobbs and Curtin meet up in Mexico, and go to work for a contractor, MacLane, who takes them away to remote site and tells them they will be paid when the job is finished. When they are finished, they return to town to find MacLane to get their wages. MacLane gives them a few dollars, and says he'll just go to the bank and pick up the payroll for them. Dobbs and Curtin then meet up with an old prospector, who claims the hills are still full of gold, and if they can get the cash, he'll go with them. They eventually get the cash from MacLane after a little "persuasion", and all three set off for the hills as good friends, but will they return that way?

With the holiday season upon us, WB have just released this 5 disc Gift Box Set featuring the existing DVD’s of The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon as well as the recently released DVD packages of Casablanca – 2 Disc SE, The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre – 2 Disc SE and To Have And Have Not. The regular individually packaged discs are contained in a drop-dead gorgeous black box which features a beautiful photograph of the actor on one side and lists the feature films and disc highlights on the other side.

Having been fortunate enough to recently review three of these Bogart discs that are contained in this new Gift Set, and being more than familiar with the other two, I can recommend all of these discs contained without any reservation. All of the discs have transfers that are most certainly impressive including hours of supplemental extras.

I suspect many fans of classic film, including fans of Bogart will have most, if not all of these. If you don’t however, and you’re interested in adding a few classics to your library or perhaps looking for a Christmas gift for someone who might be so inclined, look no further.

Released: November 4th, 2003

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'd be double-dipping on The Big Sleep, but the rest would all be new. I'm sure I'd get a cost savings by getting the box.

Can I get a complete list of the Warner Bogart DVDs? I haven't bought any of the most recent ones, and don't want to miss any. Ones I can recall off-hand (including the ones in this box):

The Big Sleep
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
To Have and Have Not
Treasure of the Sierra Madre

High Sierra
Dark Passage
They Drive By Night

And, an older disc:

Key Largo

Just noticed. When you say a 5-disc set, do you mean a 5-movie set on 7 discs, or are the bonus discs on Casablanca and Treasure not included? If that's the case, I'll get them individually.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Greg... technically, there are 7 discs - 5 movies. They are the exact same movie packages you'd buy individually, just bundled in the box.

earl_roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I've got this set :D
Came through battered so my Treasure and Casablanca don't look so hot now but the discs are fine.
This set is 7 discs and is AMAZING value for money and you all need to get it now!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'd be delighted if Warners decided to revisit The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep now that newer restoration technology is open to them; the rest of the titles in this collection are amazing and the extras superb, particularly the two discers, but even To Have and Have Not has decent and interesting extras - gotta love those Warners cartoons!

---
So many films, so little time...

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
quote: "I'd be delighted if Warners decided to revisit The Maltese Falcon and The Big Sleep..."
----

restored, Double-disc SEs of both are definately in order!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks Vincent, bit puzzling though; two DVDs for the film and trailer, a 60 minute making of and a 23 minute doco on Bogie and Bacall? Hmmmm...

I'd be rather more interested if this was an all new restoration and transfer.

---
So many films, so little time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks