What's new

Warner Brothers Home Entertainment Acquires Rights To 70 Films From The Samuel Goldwyn Library (1 Viewer)

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by oscar_merkx /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library#post_3911987
Just curious as to how many new John Ford will beout on dvd and / or blu ray ?
Good question. Was hoping to see The Hurricane on that list.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I don't know why the studios haven't gone down the box set route for older films on Blu-ray. A Danny Kaye box please.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Bring on those Eddie Cantors!!! I was also hoping for THE HURRICANE. Also THE GREEKS HAD A WORD FOR THEM (aka THREE BROADWAY GIRLS)--does a decent print exist for this one?

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is great news that could hit my wallet pretty hard. Some wonderful films here. Would love a blu-ray of Dodsworth to put in my film library.
-Rodney

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm looking for THESE THREE which amazingly hasn't been available in the US since the early days of laserdisc. Also, the silent version of STELLA DALLAS, which is actually better than the more famous remake.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Jim_K /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library#post_3912136
More fodder for the Archive dumping grounds more than likely.

Pity
I hear you, but some of the films going to WAC is a much better than staying locked up in a vault as MGM did for 15 years. Warner has also indicated that some of the more classic titles will get the Blu-ray release, which I am very happy that Warner will do it and not MGM.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I can see it now, a "Guys and Dolls" box set with a pair of dice, a racing form, and a blintz

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library#post_3912193
I can see it now, a "Guys and Dolls" box set with a pair of dice, a racing form, and a blintz
And a slice of Lindy's Cheesecake?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No scented pencils, no sale.
Seriously, I'm looking forward to
Hans Christian Anderson on Blu.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I have quite a few of these already on DVD (some from MGM home video and some from HBO home video) and I hope that Warner will put them out on Blu-ray. If they're just going to do MODs or DVDs then I'll pass.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I'd love to see The Princess and the Pirate on blu-ray. Beautiful Technicolor photography, Virginia Mayo gorgeous to look at as always, and Bob Hope at the top of his game.
I'd buy it in a heartbeat!
Doug

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Mark-P /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library/30#post_3912293
I have quite a few of these already on DVD (some from MGM home video and some from HBO home video) and I hope that Warner will put them out on Blu-ray. If they're just going to do MODs or DVDs then I'll pass.
Agreed. Unless the movies I already have on DVD are upgraded to Blu-ray, I'm not interested in rebuying them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/319692/warner-brothers-home-entertainment-acquires-rights-to-70-films-from-the-samuel-goldwyn-library/30#post_3912356
Agreed. Unless the movies I already have on DVD are upgraded to Blu-ray, I'm not interested in rebuying them.
I am more interested in DVD versions of the Eddie Cantor films and rest of the Danny Kaye films that are not already out. Blus of Guys, Best Years, along with Wurthering Heights would be musts also. I have 19 of the titles either from MGM or HBO, those I am happy with, so it will have to be a real improvement to me to re-purchase.

JohnRa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Needham
rsmithjr said:
Thank goodness Warners is getting these titles! Cannot wait for many of them.
If you haven't seen The Best Years of Our Lives, do so. This film resonates through the decades and gains power with each new generation. Possibly William Wyler's best movie (and that is saying something!)
I couldn't agree more. "The Best Years of Our Lives" seems better each time I watch it... and that has been many times. I would love to have it on Blu-ray.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I don't know....
It's certainly fantastic news, but I've got a feeling that very few of these titles will make it to Blu. Guys and Dolls and The Best Years of Our Lives seem pretty likely, but I'm not so sure about the rest. I think 90% of them will probably end up in the Warner archives.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
ReggieW said:
I don't know....
It's certainly fantastic news, but I've got a feeling that very few of these titles will make it to Blu. Guys and Dolls and The Best Years of Our Lives seem pretty likely, but I'm not so sure about the rest. I think 90% of them will probably end up in the Warner archives.
I would think that The Bishop's Wife would make a very good Christmas release. Some of the best selling classic releases have a Christmas theme, and Walmart gives them shelf space. Wuthering Heights is so widely desired, I think it will make blu. There also may be a good chance for some of the Gary Cooper classics like Pride of the Yankees or The Westerner. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the beautiful technicolor of films like The Secret Life of Walter Mitty and The Princess and the Pirate making blu. Personally, if there was one film that would be desired but wouldn't make blu, it may be The Best Years of Out Lives. It's in black and white, it's not a genre film, it doesn't have a major headliner like Cooper, Grant, Hope or Danny Kaye (although it has many great actors), and I have always found it somewhat depressing.

Mark Oates

Supporting Actor
I think I enjoy The Bishop's Wife as a Christmas movie over It's A Wonderful Life. Immaculately cast, full of wonderful whimsy. It's a close-run thing but I can't get enough of James Gleason as the skating cabbie Sylvester, or Monty Woolley's Professor. Wonderful Life tugs at the heart strings but Bishop's Wife lifts you up.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
When I clicked onto Classicflix.com this morning, I noticed that they had, indeed, added PORGY AND BESS to the official list. I so hope that it will make it to BD soon!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks