What's new

Warner Brothers- Disturbing new trend of cropping non-scope widescreen films? (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed a couple recent instances of Warner Brothers cropping non-scope widescreen films to 1.78:1 and am hoping this is an anomaly and not a new company policy, but felt compelled to point it out. And no, I'm not talking about "opening up" soft-matted 1.85:1 films to 1.78, but literally cropping 1.85:1 or wider-but-not-quite 'Scope transfers to 1.78:1. The first instance is the newly expanded edition of ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA. The overseas Blu-ray of this from Italy is slightly hard-matted to maintain a 1.85:1 shape. The Warner Brothers Blu-ray clearly uses the same original master, but has been zoomed in to remove the small mattes, thus leading to some slight cropping at the sides. Observe in the screen grab comparisons here:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5117&disc2=2737&hd_multiID=296#auswahl

The second, more egregious example is Paul Schrader's DOMINION: PREQUEL TO THE EXORCIST. Shot and finished in Vittorio Storaro's experimental "Univisium" 2:1 aspect ratio, the DVD was presented in this format. However the Blu-ray in the recent EXORCIST anthology set has been cropped to 1.78:1! This appears to be the same transfer as the DVD as the color timing and densities appear to be exactly the same, but the Blu-ray has been opened up just a little bit at the top and cropped considerably at the sides:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5487&disc2=5488&hd_multiID=2240#auswahl

I sincerely hope these were both just "oversights" and not a disturbing new "one-size-fits-all" trend for non-Scope widescreen films from Warner Brothers, but these two examples definitely give me pause and raise alarms.

Vincent

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Powell&Pressburger said:
I'd say 99% of 1.85:1 films thru WB are always issued on blu at 1.78:1

DOMINION is cropped from 2:1, and OuaTiA from a 1.85:1 hard-matte to 1.78. Again, I'm not talking about "opening up" a soft-matted film, I'm talking about them taking a hard-matted master and literally cropping it.

Vincent

Dr Griffin

Effects Supervisor
Real Name
Zxpndk
I've never understood why this is done. There are DVDs out there that were released in OAR of 1.85:1, but the Blu-ray ends up at 1.78:1. Is this so it will fill up the screens of the whiny TV owners who want every inch of screen real estate covered; those that are clueless about OAR?

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Don't forget Barry Lyndon cropped from 1.66:1. Clearly it is policy at WB to get as much as possible in 1.78:1. For 1.85:1 I can live with it even when it's being cropped, but anything else is unacceptable. Do they really think even casual viewers care about tiny black bars on their screens?

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm going to have to side with Warner on this one. Those tiny strips of black bars top & bottom on 1:85 are in fact going over picture information, so I suppose you could say that it's the 1:85 picture that's cropped. I know it's easy to think that the frame-line is only just under the bars, & that the picture is zoomed in a tiny bit for 16:9, but that's not the case. I'm happy with 16:9.

EddieLarkin

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nick
Did you not even look at the comparisons, or read Vincent's multiple clarifications? All of these examples involve cropping, not opening up.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Thank you, EddieLarkin. It seems some people only read the title of the thread and assume what it's all about then chime in with uninformed nonsense.

Even though I shouldn't have to because it's all explained quite clearly in the OP along with links to screen shot comparisons, I will repeat: this has NOTHING TO DO with "opening up" soft-matted films, but with actual cropping of hard-matted masters. This is clearly explained in the OP, along with comparisons to show what I'm talking about.

Did I mention that I'm not talking about opening up soft-matted films, but rather the actual cropping of hard-matted masters?

Vincent

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Vincent_P said:
Thank you, EddieLarkin. It seems some people only read the title of the thread and assume what it's all about then chime in with uninformed nonsense.

Even though I shouldn't have to because it's all explained quite clearly in the OP along with links to screen shot comparisons, I will repeat: this has NOTHING TO DO with "opening up" soft-matted films, but with actual cropping of hard-matted masters. This is clearly explained in the OP, along with comparisons to show what I'm talking about.

Did I mention that I'm not talking about opening up soft-matted films, but rather the actual cropping of hard-matted masters?

Vincent

Hey Vincent, I was wondering if these were not perhaps only opened up? :lol:

Kidding aside this is ridiculous - you will not get much less used screen real estate than with Ben Hur and other UP70 titles and Warner has three of them without any cropping - but now they start to crop from 2.00 and 1.85 to 1.78?

This should stop immediately.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Vincent_P said:

Vincent

Guilty! Dammit, I've become "some people" (& uninformed, oh the shame!). That'll teach me to post at gone one in the morning when I should have been asleep.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Also the DCP is Flat not a Smilebox version when it was shown in Bradford in Digital it was cropped on the big curved Cinerama screen. Some people thought it looked better than the 1971 70mm version.

Thanks again Roland for a great Website.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Off-topic but re: HOW THE WEST WAS WON, it would be neat if Warners did an IMAX film-out in Smilebox of the 6K master file. I'd pay to see that in a real IMAX theater.

Vincent

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
DP 70 said:
How The West Was Won Flat Version on BD is 2.89:1.

Yes it was, only intended to be seen in approximately 2.59:1 though.

Somebody should have told Warner about it...

Derrick King

Supporting Actor
First let me say that I find this policy of cropping to fit 1.78:1 awful, but this
Vincent_P said:
The second, more egregious example is Paul Schrader's DOMINION: PREQUEL TO THE EXORCIST. Shot and finished in Vittorio Storaro's experimental "Univisium" 2:1 aspect ratio, the DVD was presented in this format. However the Blu-ray in the recent EXORCIST anthology set has been cropped to 1.78:1! This appears to be the same transfer as the DVD as the color timing and densities appear to be exactly the same, but the Blu-ray has been opened up just a little bit at the top and cropped considerably at the sides:

http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=5487&disc2=5488&hd_multiID=2240#auswahl
is surely some sort of karmic retribution for Storaro's asinine policy of cropping the 2.35 films he shot to fit 2:1.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Derrick: LOL!

Brandon: I sincerely doubt they bothered to consult Schrader in this release.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lilybets