What's new

Warner Brothers archive releases (1 Viewer)

kcunningham

Auditioning
Real Name
Kerry Cunningham
I noticed that a number of titles currently available through the Warner Brothers Archive collection have shown up on various online sellers web pages including Amazon, Best Buy and the like. These titles include some of Warner Brother's better westerns such as Yellowstone Kelly, Command and A Distant Trumpet. I am assuming that these are the copy upon request dvd-r copies that Warner Brothers sells on its archives and not actual dvds. I sent an inquiry to Warner Brothers, but got back the usual clueless response. Does anyone out there have any information regarding these releases.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by kcunningham

I noticed that a number of titles currently available through the Warner Brothers Archive collection have shown up on various online sellers web pages including Amazon, Best Buy and the like. These titles include some of Warner Brother's better westerns such as Yellowstone Kelly, Command and A Distant Trumpet. I am assuming that these are the copy upon request dvd-r copies that Warner Brothers sells on its archives and not actual dvds. I sent an inquiry to Warner Brothers, but got back the usual clueless response. Does anyone out there have any information regarding these releases.

They are absolutely DVDr's. This is an extension of Warner Archive and shows how successful it is when other web retailers want to offer the titles. I understand Amazon, but Best Buy does supprise me.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Originally Posted by ahollis

They are absolutely DVDr's. This is an extension of Warner Archive and shows how successful it is when other web retailers want to offer the titles. I understand Amazon, but Best Buy does supprise me.

But it's ironic that one of the justifications for MOD was, that retail stores no longer wanted to carry DVD's and espescially "niche" low volume stuff which is allegedly what the Archive is all about.

Although, Warner seem intent on stuffing *everything* into the Archive, outside of the very latest blockbusters. I'm guessing being able to charge $20 a disc is a factor here *cough*

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Nebiroth

But it's ironic that one of the justifications for MOD was, that retail stores no longer wanted to carry DVD's and espescially "niche" low volume stuff which is allegedly what the Archive is all about.

Although, Warner seem intent on stuffing *everything* into the Archive, outside of the very latest blockbusters. I'm guessing being able to charge $20 a disc is a factor here *cough*

I have no idea why anyone would purchase from any other retailer except from the Warner Archive Site, unless they were overseas and this was the only way to obtain them. The other sites do not have any discounts while there -are codes and sales all the time through the WAC site. I know that I have not paid full price for any of the the WAC titles that I own. And they are not being carried in the retail stores just on their web sites. There might even be a pass through to WAC. What I mean is you order from the Best Buy web site and the order goes directly to the WAC site, but you don't see that. You pay $20.00, WAC get $15.00 and Best Buy gets $5.00. Everyone is happy, well almost.

westumulka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Tumulka

These discs still aren't being sold at Best Buy stores, just on their website.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator

I know, but it's still a retail store.

Sure, but you can't run out of space in an online store. That's the reason b&m retail stores are refusing to stock classic titles -- they weren't selling enough to justify the space they take up in the store. Selling them online is no problem...except that you lose the visibility in the marketplace (and the impulse buying) that comes with stocking something on actual shelves. So sales go down - it's a vicious cycle.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by RafaelPires

Yolanda and the Thief and Little Nelly Kelly are on pre order, as exclusives, on Movies unlimited.

The WAC will have the above two titles along with INVITATION TO DANCE and the Garland/Rooney film THOROUGHBREDS DON'T CRY up of sale on their site on Tuesday. Two Garlands, one Astaire and one Kelly equals a happy week.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I would have thought a "Young Garland" set would have sold well via regular dvds, but I guess everything will eventually show up via the Archive now

I just wonder what will happen to the SHOWBOAT films and the remaining Esther Williams films.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Richard M S
I would have thought a "Young Garland" set would have sold well via regular dvds, but I guess everything will eventually show up via the Archive now

I just wonder what will happen to the SHOWBOAT films and the remaining Esther Williams films.

With LITTLE NELLIE KELLY and THOROUGHBREDS DON'T CRY, that leaves only LISTEN DARLING as not released. I am not including the Betsy Booth appearances in Andy Hardy. I agree with you in that a young Judy collection would have been good, but when the WAC released EVERYBODY SING, I gave up on that idea. I do feel the other two films are perfect for the Archive.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
It is interesting how Movie Unlimited uses the Exclusive logo on these two titles. Warner Twitted these titles as being available on their web site Tuesday. This makes me wonder about the two McDonald/Eddy titles in April. Perhaps Movies Unlimited will be the only other web site to offer them. I dunno know, but we will see.

Dirk06

Grip
Real Name
Jeff
Originally Posted by Richard M S

I've been wondering the same thing with the remaining unreleased Esther Williams films. By now, I've figured they would eventually be sent to DVD-R hell, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't still holding onto a sliver of hope that Volume 3 will be released in the TCM Spotlight series. I admit, I have a particular fondness for Duchess of Idaho.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Originally Posted by ahollis

The WAC will have the above two titles along with INVITATION TO DANCE and the Garland/Rooney film THOROUGHBREDS DON'T CRY up of sale on their site on Tuesday. Two Garlands, one Astaire and one Kelly equals a happy week.

Not for me... I have to wait untill April when "Marietta" comes out. :/ Unless they decide to release another best pic nominee sooner.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks