What's new

Warner Brothers 3-D Box Set suggestion (1 Viewer)

How many would be in interested if WB produce a 3-D box set which would include the following:

The Charge at Feather River 1953

Dial M for Murder 1954

The Moonlighters 1953

House of Wax 1953

Phantom Of The Rue Morgue (1954)

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston
WB owns the following 3-D titles from the '50s:

HOUSE OF WAX (WB)
ARENA (MGM)
CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER (WB)
SECOND CHANCE (RKO)
DEVIL'S CANYON (RKO)
THE MOONLIGHTER (WB)
LOUISIANA TERRITORY (RKO)
KISS ME KATE (MGM)
THE FRENCH LINE (RKO)
DANGEROUS MISSION (RKO)
PHANTOM OF THE RUE MORGUE (WB)
DIAL M FOR MURDER (WB)
THE BOUNTY HUNTER (WB)

...as well as the 3-D version of THE COMMAND, which was edited and finished, with the exception of all of the opticals in the film.

Out of those titles, HOUSE OF WAX and CHARGE AT FEATHER RIVER were WarnerPhonic (4.0). Those tracks are lost, except for the surrounds, but music and effects tracks apparently survive and could make good remixes. KISS ME KATE exists in 3-track stereo. SECOND CHANCE and DEVIL'S CANYON were stereo, but as of now, don't exist.

As great as it would be to see these titles in 3-D on video, I would be hard pressed to admit that it would be easy or even profitable to do.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

When you say 3-D, I hope you are talking about the field-sequential method and not the anaglyph (red/green glasses) garbage method.

Of the titles listed, the following have already been converted to the field sequential format on the old Japanese VHD format and DVD's by private collectors.

HOUSE OF WAX (WB)
DEVIL'S CANYON (RKO)
THE FRENCH LINE (RKO)
DIAL M FOR MURDER (WB)

The problem is you need an interlaced monitor to see them. The flicker is also a pain unless you can do 120 frames per second.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone come up with a way to do 3-D on the HD formats yet? The field-sequential format works OK, but essentially you lose half the resolution for each eye.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

All the 1950s 3-D films were shot in dual-strip (two 35mm cameras) and projected using Polaroid filters on projectors and Polaroid glasses.

It would be interesting if it were possible to produce special discs with two progressive images that could be played back on a player that outputs two images in perfect sync out to two projectors one can fit with the proper filters. Given that most 3-D films are either mediocre or laughably bad, it's probably a waste of money. House of Wax, Dial M For Murder, Creature from the Black Lagoon, and Hondo are terrific films that would be worth it (along with some good shorts like Lumber Jack-Rabbit, Spooks!, Pardon My Backfire, Melody, and Popeye: Ace of Space).

One more reason to anticipate 3-D festivals showing in the proper dual-print Polaroid form instead of the headache-inducing anaglyph and field-sequential formats.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
As an extension of your idea, what if the studios were to prepare these films for digital 3D projection? That way, local 3D festivals could be organized. I, for one, would KILL to see Disney's Melody projected in 3D. Pulfrich illusion glasses provide a nice approximation, but it just isn't the same.

Jack Theakston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack Theakston

I would say that's an unfair generalization. Most 3-D films have a REPUTATION of being mediocre or laughably bad, but almost all of them have good points. GORILLA AT LARGE, despite its exploitative title, is actually a good little mystery-thriller, and while ROBOT MONSTER is no GONE WITH THE WIND, it's got extremely good photography for what it is.

That being said, all of the WB-owned titles are enjoyable films at the least. LOUISIANA TERRITORY is a sort of strange mix of travelogue and a vague plot, but has excellent location shooting of the 1953 Mardi Gras. THE FRENCH LINE is what it is... J.R. in 3-D.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Both the 2003 and 2006 3-D Expos were amazing. I managed to sit through every show both times! Crazy, I know, but I had to do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks