What's new

Warner Brother's 2-Disc Special Edition Series (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
just received my Warner Legends Box

I am in for a good time with these 3 double discs and history of dvd from Warner

they are 100 years old next year

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
probably not as I have exams tomorrow & wednesday.

I might look at one of the documentaries ?

Which one do you think I should watch first ?

:emoji_thumbsup:

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Sam Peckinpah's The Wild Bunch! (I'm at work, but I'm 99% positive that that is Warner Bros. title - right?)
With all the restoration work that went into it a decade or so ago for the release of the Director's Cut (and then the LD box set - which sadly dosent have much in the way of supplaments), along with all the controversey and different edits surrounding this title over the decades, I'd imagine it would be a prime canadate for a 2-disc SE.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
sounds like a geat recommendation to me.

I have watched some great documentaries the last few weeks so hopefully I am in for a blast

:D

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Watched both Huston documentaries which were absolutely stunning to view.

Thanks Herb

:star: :star: :star: :star:

It looks like someone finally saved me the trouble of mentioning The Wild Bunch. But how about An American in Paris? Hell, virtually any of the Freed unit musicals would merit a special edition.

And while the existing Wizard of Oz set is quite good, I would love to see what could be done using the technology that was previously used for Singin in the Rain and Adventures of Robin Hood. And they could restore the commentary track from the laser disc box set.

And did anyone mention Gone with the Wind? Hell, they'd need at least three discs to do that film justice.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Yes, these discs are great. Just PLEASE don't number them. :D

My want list:

1. Woodstock is screaming for a 2 (or more) disc treatment with good packaging.

2. Blade Runner - um, duh? What the hell ever happened to this anyhow?

3. Obviously ALL of the WB Kubrick films. There has to be some extra stuff lying around that Christiane Kubrick could make available. Please!

4. The Wizard of Oz needs a fitting package and the loss of the dreaded snapper.

it isn't 2001, but it was never meant to be.
Obviously. It was a terrible hack piece that completely spits in the face of the original masterpiece. But thats just my HO.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Even though it is rumored for 2004, I'll throw in another mention of Chariots of Fire.

And how about a few RKO titles?

2004's rumored release of Bringing Up Baby
Out of the Past
The Magnificent Ambersons
The Set-Up
Swing Time
Top Hat
Murder, My Sweet

- Walter.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
And let's not forget MGM's welcome turnaround and sudden outpouring of decent special edition DVD's. While not on the same level as Fox or Warner Bros., I think MGM now fits in nicely at third place.

Fox, Warner Bros. and MGM all deserve our praise. In the case of MGM, I think it was partly a result of all our relentless complaining about threadbare discs that got them to improve their product. After all, the customer is always right. Right?

--JDP (not a Fox, Warner or MGM employee)

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator
"Meet Me In St. Louis has been announced for April, with the other Judy Garland releases."

DeeF-

What other Garland releases? Hope they include Summer Stock, The Clock, Easter Parade and a 2 disc re-release of Star Is Born. Yes the earlier release of Star Is Born is good but could be much better and given the quality of Warner's more recent special edition releases. If they re-release the adequate earlier release of My Fair Lady as 2 disc special edition (Robert Harris involved with this new transfer?), I am hoping perhaps they will do the same for Star is Born.

I would also love to see new release 2 disc special editions of American In Paris, Wizard of Oz and Gone With The Wind. Can't understand why any of these have not been announced yet! You would think Oz and GWTW would be first on Warner's list (the crown jewels of their MGM library)! Not complaining because I have been more than happy with the 2 disc SEs titles that have been announced and have been released at pretty rapid pace.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
obviously my preferences would be for films that have had no releases yet
but- if the subject comes up about re-issues i'd like to see
The Searchers-gorgeous film but the current disc doesn't get this across as well as it should (registration issues?)
L.A. Confidential the current disc was quite good for its time (early '98), and still doesn't look too bad, but advances in encoding and a more comprhensive array of supplemental material (hopefully with more input from Ellroy as well as the filmmakers) and the opportunity for factual/historical based content (re: non star salaried special features) could make this easily worth the double dip.
definitely one of my favorite films from the last 10 yrs, would be nice to have it in as slick a looking package as possible

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Just chiming in to let you know I've made yet another update to the lists.

I am really enjoying hearing everyone's wish list, and agree whole heartedly on many of the selections. I am glad someone brought up 'The Wild Bunch' as I suspect WB will be able to do something very special with this film.

I also made another separate category for WB's Hitchcock films which I'll add to it later.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Rumors regarding Once Upon a Time in America being discontinued and OOP by Warner Bros. appear to be only partially correct. They stopped selling the original release and are now re-releasing the same DVD but with a different UPC number. So no need to rush out and buy it if you have not already.

The following thread revealed the explanation:

WB: Once Upon ... America SE: OOP or Being Re-tooled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks