Warner Bros. - We want a Director's Edition of Superman IV

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Philip Hawkins, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Next thing you know, they'll make a film where Superman can be horribly injured by a kryptonite dagger but then lift an entire island made of the stuff and throw it into space. ;)

Malcolm R likes this.
  2. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    ^Still better than a movie where Superman BFFs Batman by saying "Martha".

WillG, Malcolm R and Allansfirebird like this.
  3. Allansfirebird

Allansfirebird Second Unit

Sean
    That's consistent with Kal-El's super Kryptonian strength, however. Last I checked, humans aren't capable of surviving in the vacuum of space.

4. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

It isn't consistent, though, because simply being too close to kryptonite weakens and, eventually, kills him. There's no way he could lift an entire island made of the stuff and not have it kill him before he got it to space.

Of course, we're disagreeing over a fictional character, so whatever. It's all good. :)

5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I think the explanation was that it wasn't pure kryptonite but rather a duplicate that Lex has synthesized so it wasn't as powerful as the raw stuff. Also, the idea was that he was sacrificing himself - he didn't expect to survive that. He just knew what had to be done.

The movie also shows him recharging his batteries with the power of the sun, and lifting the land mass underneath the kryponite rather than the green stuff itself.

Since kryptonite has been inconsistent in its effects over the years, none of this bothered me in the least. I think Superman Returns was beautiful storytelling.

Allansfirebird likes this.
  6. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Fair point. I don't think it was made clear by the film itself, but I can accept that as an explanation. I disagree that Superman Returns was beautiful storytelling, but that's, like, just my opinion, man.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  7. WillG

WillG Producer

Sounds like you're thinking of Superman III. I believe SR has a scene where Lex and co (again?!) steal the Addis Addaba meteorite from a museum.

8. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

He did steal some kryptonite, but then he uses Kryptonian technology he stole from the Fortress of Solitude to artificially create more, so I see where he's coming from. I still say it's hooey, but I see some bit of logic in it.

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    If you watch the sequence with that island, it's not pure kryptonite. Lex uses a piece of kryptonite as a seed, but also notes elsewhere that crystals take on the properties of the minerals around them. The island isn't all green - it's a mixture of more traditional earth tones and crystals and then appears to be laced with green throughout. No doubt living there would be hell for him long term. But I never doubted that as a show of sheer will, aided by a fresh power booster from the sun, was just enough to squeak by. Notice that he's struggling to lift it. I think of it being like one of those instances where a parent shows superhuman strength in an instant to save their child from imminent harm. He had to do it, therefore he was able to do it...just barely.

Allansfirebird and Brian Kidd like this.