What's new

Warner Bros. - We want a Director's Edition of Superman IV (1 Viewer)

Now that Superman II is well on its way to recieving a directors edition it is perhaps the time to turn our attention to the other superman film which badly needs a new DVD edition and recut, Superman IV: The Quest For Peace.

SUPERMAN IV's test screening was conducted in Orange County, California. The complete cut was shown, which had a running time of 134 minutes. However the test screening proved to be disastrous, so major cuts were called for, and a lot of important sequences were left on the cutting room floor.

The complete version would fill in some major plot holes, for example - What happened to Jeremy after he met Superman at the World Leader's summit? The first Nuclear Man (Notice that Lex isn't as surprised when Nuclear Man 2 appears), and the romance between Lacy and Clark. The completed version would create a balance between the story telling elements, i.e. plot, action, romance, that is sadly lacking in the current version. Superman IV may not be the best superman movie, but it is a film, that if restored would become much better, creating a more fitting swansong for the Reeve films. For many fans superman IV is almost an embarrasment compared to the other films, but with a directors cut Superman IV would become something that fans could be proud of.

Right now Superman IV, feels like an edited down version of a longer movie, and that is exactly what it is, and its about time that we see the entire film the way Christopher Reeve and the film makes intended. Please show your support by leaving your comments below.

UPDATE: Special edition DVD's of all four Superman films will be released in 2006, to tie in with the cinema release of Superman Returns. Let Warners know that you want a uncut version of Superman IV to be included by signing the petition.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie in 1987 as a 7 year old child. While it is by no means a great (or even good) movie, it holds great sentimental value to me and I would be first inline for a full, restored release of this film. In fact, I had the story book for the movie before it came out and was surprised even at age 7 to see what was missing...especially since I had read it time and time again in the book. I know this would not be a huge-seller, but even a barebones release with a decen transfer would make me more than happy! :)

ANTHONY KOTORAC aka 'Boris (forum name) from the supermanhomepage forums, joined 18.08.04 has asked me to add him to the petition.

'dj_intheuk' (forum name) member of the supermanhomepage forums and member of yahoo, aged 23, real name Dawn and lives in England has asked me to add her to the petition. Member of supermanhomepage forums since 21.08.04

Comment: 'if there's a chance that we could ever regain the 'lost' Superman IV footage, I'm all for it'.

Majid Afayee has asked me to add him to the petition.

Comment: "It is the least WB could do to get us excited for the upcoming Superman film".

Mark Pytel has asked me to add him to the petition.

Comment: "I would also be interested in seeing the extended version of this movie"

Lee Bartholomew aka 'PatrynXX' (forum name) from Cedar Falls, LA. Has asked me to add him to the petition. He is a member of the internet movie database forums.

Nicholas Grabowsky has asked me to add him to the petition.

Comment: Every once in awhile for years I do an internet search for Superman IV looking for a special edition. It's really great to see someone else interested as much as I am, even enough to get a petition going. I've been Longing to see the film fully intact ever since I saw it in the theaters and went home disappointed at the fact that they edited out the first Nuclear Man that I'd seen in Starlog the week before.

If they can get a director's cut of Supergirl (which I have), they can certainly do justice to Superman IV

Anthony (from New York) has asked me to add him to the petition.

"Let them know that if they do not want to release it, at least show it as a special on TV. I dont know what to think of the rumor that the footage was destroyed. At the very least they should throw in the scene where Lacey gets taken to Lex Luther's hideout and the scene where Superman visits Jeremy at school, back in the next time it is shown on TV. This way at least we are shown a reason why Jeremy is upset and how Superman knows who "the woman" is. At the very least, we deserve those scenes.Anyway, please sign me up. Thanks"

Adam Sha

Agent
The term destroyed in refering to lost footage/tape/master print has always been used, but then proven wrong when somebody finds a lost print.

Case in point, "Little Shop Of Horrors" DVD had an alternate ending which partly survived but most of it is destroyed. and you'd only know that if you got the DVD version.

Warners has NEVER come out and outright said it's destroyed and until they do, it's speculation at best, even from all these sources reporting it so.

I'd also like to add. In the first U.K. broadcasted airing of Superman 4. The TV Times magazine during the early 90's which covered ITV and C4. Stated the showing of the film, the time etc. I also found it had Clive Mantle name on the cast as Nuclearman 1? I also wondered about that as when it aired it was the theaterical version.

I wish i still had the Poster book of superman 4 which had a page showing the battle between Superman and Nuclearman 1. One that thus far, i've remembered and no one's decided to put up on the internet so far? I don't believe a scene which is siad to cost 5 million or so was thrown away. No matter that was said by Warners to "junk" any footage of the Superman 4 134 minutes version.

Destroyed footage. May have been a term, to put off anyone from finding it. Crafts people in the film industry do take home untold amount of stuff from work at the studios. Film cans etc. I believe the longer unfinsihed version is out there. Whether or not we'll see it in our lifetime, in the are of DVD's and multiple film versions is another story.

I'll support and back a Superman 4 recut just as i've supported a Superman 2 Donner recut as well.

It's a pity Both Marlon Brando and Christopher Reeve can't be around to see fans fighting for the restoration of their work as i find it sad the ones involved won't be able to see the struggles and support of the fans. Unable to see the films they did being resquested by their fans to be redone, and remastered to their uncut glory.

With this i'd also like to say. How sad i am at the passing of Christopher Reeve last Sunday. He embodied what a hero really is much less played the true iconic fictional hero the world sees as the number 1 superhero. I saw Superman at such a young age, one the first movies i ever saw in fact. He was my generations Superman. And the best.

God bless you Christopher Reeve wherever you are.

I, Numan Parada, will also support an extended version of Superman IV on DVD. It's always good to help bring obscure versions of films to light.

The following have asked me to add them to the petition. (All are members of the internet movie database message boards)

1) "Yeah, count me in. If they can't produce a complete cut, just a special edition with a heft of deleted scenes as a separate feature would be welcomed. I've never been a part of a successful petition, but it can't do any harm to add my name to this list. Best of fortunes to you"

Nicholas J. Michalak
Tinley Park, IL
AKA: jmich73
-----------------------------------------------------------
2) "OK, Sign me too".

J.Antonio Lopez
Albacete, Spain

AKA: BITELCHUS
-----------------------------------------------------------
3). "me too".

Chris Helgerson
Seattle, WA, USA

AKA: clh-1
------------------------------------------------------------

Ryan_M_M

Stunt Coordinator

Actually this trailer was available online at one time over at Superman Cinema (and might still be?). I am not sure whether it was from a Masters of the Universe PAL VHS release or whether it was another Cannon film, where both the Superman IV and MOTU trailers appeared. The trailer featuring Lacy and Clark kiss definitely exists. I have seen it a dozen or more times.

The following have asked me add them to the petition (members of imdb boards)

1. AKA: dmc102
"Count me in buddy! I just saw Superman IV for the first time today and I really enjoyed it! I just can't see what everyone's problem is with it. I hope someone listens to this petition!"
----------------------------------------------------------

2. Morten Alleso
Copenhagen, Denmark
"Love the Superman movies. Of course I'm in"

Danny Reiboldt (VERMONT). {AKA Webley at superman through the ages boards} has asked me to add him to the petition.
You can put my name on that petition.
"Superman IV is the coolest!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks