Warner Bros. Solution

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_M, Aug 17, 2001.

1. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Since Warner Bros. has determined that family consumers prefer Pan & Scan, why doesn't Warner develop a "Family Brand" line. Columbia and Disney release children DVDs in White plastic cases - white seems to represent the children's market. Warner can sell children's DVD in White plastic - sturdy child protective - cases with a big "Family Collection" banner. At the same time Warner can release a widescreen version of the film for film collectors in the snap cases. Both the film collector and the parent are happy. No confusing over a widescreen and a child's version of the film. Parents and Wal-mart would probably prefer the plastic case for the kids.

2. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Warner is not known to practice this, but your idea is sound nonetheless. But the films would also take up alot less space on shelves if both versions were on the same disc, and with the advent of dvd-18 this easily possible. But, were frying that fish as we speake in Rons thread in this area, if you havn't done so, please post in it, as Warner will read it.
    ------------------
    Warner Bros. is officially dead to me.

3. Kenny Foor

Kenny Foor Stunt Coordinator

But the dvd-18 is easily available, Warner Advanced Media Operations (WAMO for short) is one of the few facillities that has the DVD-18 technology readily at its disposal.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Based on a comprehensive study with a sample population of one:
    Children prefer the "snap" sound and the ability to color on the cardboard.
    Adults like the sturdy keepcase container with non snapping and no coloring features.
    [​IMG]

5. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Here's a bit of satire I wrote concerning the recent Warner situation. [​IMG]
    ---------------------------------------------------
    According to BNN (BS News Network):
    Through a recent study that included comprehensive market research, the executives on the WONer DVD release committee (WON = Without Knowledge) concluded one thing about their own version of the snapper case:
    Adults are more adept and more patient than kids are at removing all three security stickers and therefore should be catered to. After all, research shows that they do not like the nasty black bars and are concerned about security, so they feel they should make DVDs and DVD cases that specifically cater to that market. The executive known as Joe Sixpack was unavailable for comment. However, a Pro-OAR executive has repeatedly attempted to combat the joe Sixpackers at WONer against their Willie Wonka decision. He comments that:
    "They're losers!!! Losers, I tell ya!!! *sobbing* I mean...they don't even CARE about the insidious destruction they are causing. It's hell being on a job like this where over half of the team you're on is against you. I need a new job!!"
    The Pro-OAR executive prefers to remain anonymous. Sources from other studios tell us that they are secretly shaking their heads at WONer. A FOX Studio executive, who also prefers to remain anonymous, tells us: "We are in awe at the current decision made by WONer. It's really sad that WONer continues to create their own flawed research in order to back up their decision to release Wonka in Joe Sixpack mode. FOX will never do this."
    The future of DVD remains to be seen. Other studios have yet to follow WONer's decision, and it seems that they may or may not. Because of the constant state of flux in the industry, it is a good idea to keep a vigilant watch over current events. Especially if WONer continues this horrendous practice. Keep sending in those letters, and perhaps one day WONer will be as good as MGM.
    ------------------
    - Brian
    My DVD Collection
    Want Sliders on DVD? Then please SIGN the petition!
    [Edited last by Brian Harnish on August 18, 2001 at 04:09 AM]