What's new

Warner Bros Snubs- Babyboomers. (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
When TV shows on DVD started, it was the cult shows that got the release. The ones that the studios knew their fans were known for buying product - either books, soundtracks or videos of a few episodes. These were shows that had major licensing deals like X Files, Star Trek, Monkees, Avengers and even I Love Lucy. Fans were used to paying for related product.

But now we are dipping into shows were people are merely used to watching it on TV and reruns for free. It's a harder sell to get folks curious enough to pay $30 for something. I wonder if that's why a show like Mary Tyler Moore and Bob Newhart didn't do the figures that Fox expected - people like the show, but they don't want to fork out the big bucks.

Especially shows that haven't been on the air in decades. At least Warners put out all the episodes of Wonderwoman, Superman, F Troop and Gilligan's Island.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
oh yea, you speak as if they've really milked the Murphy Brown and Night Court wells until they were dry, right? ::rollseyes::

70's, 80's and 90's fans are just as screwed over by Warner as you guys are if Dallas, Fresh Prince or Full House are not your shows.

Kevin Martinez

Second Unit
In the Animation corner, the Hanna-Barbera shows of the Baby Boom vintage aren't really treated that much better. Especially if they're not Scooby-Doo

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
A lot of talk since my last post here, yet hardly any mention of the vintage FOX shows, and a good deal of them are true classics (Batman/Peyton Place/Green Hornet/Dobie Gillis/Room 222) while others have cult followings (The Paper Chase/James at 15). FOX has to learn to take a chance with its older titles- they may get a pleasant surprise......

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
I sincerely doubt BATMAN will get released in our lifetimes. We are dealing with 2 MAJOR studios, one of which (WB) does not want the show to see the light of day and can legally make that happen, regardless of whether they split the revenue 50/50 with Fox. I truly believe they do not want another studio to profit from their characters anymore, and they also do not want to dilute the character's image either (although I would argue this point with them that it would have the opposite effect).

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Now how can you say that? All 6 Seasons of the Flintstones, Top Cat, Jonny Quest, Jetsons, Wacky Races, Hong Kong Phooey, Dastardly, Yogi Bear, Huckleberry Hound (part 1) Magilla Gorilla and upcoming sets of Josey and the Pussycats, Birdman & Space Ghost and Wait Till Your Father Gets Home are on the way. Seems like the good stuff has been getting released.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff

As an avid comic collector, I have to say that the management at DC right now is greedy and lousy (late books, bad storylines, endless cross-overs). Hopefully regime change in a few months or years will spur a deal into happening with Fox. Either that or hopefully DC's daddy, WB, steps in and gets it done.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Chris, I know ALL ABOUT the Shulman estate issue as I was the person who discussed this with Paul Brownstein on Shokus Internet Radio! We also talked about the whole Batman situation as it is another FOX show whose status is in legal limbo.

LCD22

Screenwriter

I do remember you calling in about this. I meant to get back to my post and edit it. Sorry about that, Charles.

Katherine_K

Second Unit
Even when companies are owned by the same corporation you can't assume they are working as a monolythic entity. Just ask Gord Lacey about Fox ;)

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Warner said at the HTF Chat that they were not a part of the Batman release and it was between DC and Fox. Warner does not control DC's decision in this matter.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
But on the other hand they are both divisions of Time Warner, therefore there has to be some kind of synergy between the two. From what I've heard, it's really an issue of Warners believing that the 1966 series, no matter how popular it still is, interferes with the current Batman film franchise. That argument holds no water as the studio has already put on DVD various incarnations of Superman from film serials and features to TV shows from several decades. Maybe it's really a question of the 'campy' image of the 1966 series being in contrast with the current, more serious franchise of Batman, and Warners considers it an embarrassment.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Charles,

Interesting theory about the absence of a Batman series release. I guess only the Legal Dept of the parties know the "real scoop" about it. I agree about the "no-holding-water" idea about a series release not hindering WB's film interests. The Superman example's a good comparison. If anything, I'd think that it would only add interest and sales of WB's films with a Batnman series release.

"Holy Conflict-of-Interest", Batman. What gives?"
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
as far as Batman with Adam West goes, I'd enjoy waiting longer so when it comes out, it'll be an HD transfer instead of DVD. I want to see all the details of that mustache painted white on the Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks