Warner Bros makes it official - Superman Returns on DVD, HD-DVD & Blu-ray Nov. 28th

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chris S, Sep 21, 2006.

1. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S
    I've been itching to post more information but in accordance with Ron's earlier post I've been waiting until Warner Bros made it official. And they finally have! Superman Returns is set to release on DVD, HD-DVD, and Blu-ray all on November 28th. Here is how TheDigitalBits.com broke it down.

Now the only question is... which version to buy?

TheDigitalBits also has cover art for those interested (looks the same as the previously leaked versions).

Edit #1 Updated with the latest release information.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

2-disc SE for me! Cannot believe there's not a single bonus feature on the single-disc.

3. Sebastien S

Sebastien S Second Unit

Actually, the 14 Disc SD-DVD set.

4. Seppo

Seppo Stunt Coordinator

Seppo
    The 2-disc SE SD-DVD for me.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    BR50 for me.

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouth ankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthan kyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthanky outhankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou thankyou

Christmas comes earlier this year. 14-discer for me. Now, does anyone want my copies of Look Up In The Sky or the original boxset? [​IMG]

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Bill has updated the description since then to explain that if you buy the "combo" HD-DVD/DVD disc, with the thought that someday you'll buy a HD-DVD player, you won't be able to play any of the extras now because they are all on the HD-DVD side (and they're not even presented in HD...they just put them there because they had room there!).

I'll stick with the regular 2-DVD set.

8. Matthew Clayton

Matthew Clayton Stunt Coordinator

Won't the 2-Disc SE include the teaser and theatrical trailers too? I seem to remember that the R4 edition had all of the extras as the R1 2-disc does, but the R1 doesn't mention trailers (at least not on the press release or the back art). Warners is usually very good about including the film's own trailer on most of their titles.

I'm leaning towards the 2-Disc Special Edition, but I am seriously considering the combo disc because I won't have to buy two separate editions of the same film when I switch over to HD-DVD. But it is a flipper and they tend to get scratched more easily than single-sided discs, not to mention it has a higher SRP (even with expected store discounts).

I'm not getting the 14-disc collection, although it is seriously cool with the tin packaging and everything else. I'm just getting the Donner cut of Superman II (ugly artwork aside, it's what on the disc that really counts) and Superman Returns. I'm perfectly content with my 2001 edition of Superman: The Movie.

9. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    it would be cool if they have the san diego comic-con trailer.. it was certainly more detailed info about the movie then all of the other trailers.

it would explain alot of missing scenes that were cut from the film.

Jacob

10. Chris S

Chris S Cinematographer

Chris S

I agree that trailer was really good, both times getting a huge applause from the audience.

11. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    I do have to say that the first teaser for Superman Returns--the one with Marlon Brando's voiceover--is perhaps my favorite teaser for any movie, ever. I'm sure there have been plenty of better ones that I haven't seen or that I'm forgetting, but I really, really, really liked this one. I couldn't wait to see the movie, yet nothing really had been revealed--a teaser in the truest sense of the word. I've had enough of trailers and teasers that give away far too much.

12. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    the teaser trailer can be seen on the superman documentary: look up in the sky.
    smallville season 5, and firewall.

Jacob

13. Peter Raber

Peter Raber Stunt Coordinator

This definitely has me leaning toward Blu-Ray, although I still need to get a player. Of course, I want to hear how Sony's Blu-Ray player is when it hits the market first. I was planning on waiting for the next gen Blu-Ray players, but this may force my hand.

The only thing that will sway me back is by finding out the the only way to get the Donner cut of Superman II is by buying the 14 disc SD-DVD box set, because that Donner cut is a definite MUST buy.

14. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

Nope, the Donner cut is definately available outside of the set. It's going to be on HD-DVD, too. [​IMG]

And add me to the list of those who love the teaser for Superman Returns. I must have watched it a 1,000 times on my computer. I was so worried I wouldn't see it in theaters, too, but I finally did before V for Vendetta. Goosebumps ensued. [​IMG]

15. Will_B

Will_B Producer

What about the production diaries from the website? They were good. I'd like to have them.

I thought I heard they were released awhile ago as some sort of Best Buy exclusive crapola, but I thought they'd get a legitimate release too... Are they available anywhere?

16. Adam Santangelo

Adam Santangelo Stunt Coordinator

They're the 14th disc of the Ultimate Collector's Set.

17. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    As noted, they will be included in their entirety in the upcoming 14-disc set. But, 12 of the 27 diaries did show up on the second disc of a 2-disc version of Look, Up In the Sky! The Amazing Story of Superman which was only available at Best Buy. I only watched them one time right after I bought the DVD, but IIRC, some of the diaries are edited slightly compared to the original web versions.

BTW, they are all still available for viewing at Blue Tights Network. Just click on Bryan's Journals.

18. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Thanks. I guess I'll just hope the independent video rental store in town will splurge and buy that giant box.

19. Charles CB

Charles CB Agent

20. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

Sweet. I've seen Superman Returns twice so far and I can't wait to watch the extras. The documentary sounds awesome, but I'm kind of disappointed that Bryan didn't do a commentary for the film.