What's new

Warner Bros. late 90s P&S discs -- any news? (1 Viewer)

PopBodhi

Second Unit
Real Name
Randall
I would love to buy the following:

The Great Santini
With Honors
Lean on Me
Running on Empty

Since HTF has a good relationship with WB, I'm wondering if there has been any news lately. Due to a personal crisis, I've been away from the HTF/Internet most of this year and I've been immersing myself in DVDs. I'm tempted to buy the P&S versions as I've waited years for widescreen and well, you never know what tomorrow will bring.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Let's not forget two of my favorites:

DEATHTRAP

THE WITCHES

(Though at one of the chats, the Warners reps said they had no plans to revisit THE WITCHES.)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I confess I gave in on Running on Empty, The Witches, and With Honors. I'd love to be able to upgrade them to nice anamorphic widescreen versions.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I wouldn't mind a WS version of Guilty By Suspicion. I've used it in some classes when discussing the McCarthy era, so I bought the pan and scan version. It is my only pan and scan among nearly 300 titles on DVD.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'd love a nice wide screen DVD of HOOPER, which I think was an early days p/s from Warner.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
Geez, what else... Innocent Blood, Clean and Sober, Vision Quest.
I picked all those up from Australia back when the exchange rate was good.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
Whatever happened to the Grumpy Old Men movies being remastered in widescreen? I distinctly remember Warner saying that a special edition set containing both films (a la 'Ace Ventura') was in the works. That was quite a long time ago. Watched the first one on TV a couple of weeks ago and forgot how truly great and funny it is. I'm still waiting with baited breath, and refuse to buy the P&S versions.

EDIT: By the way, I second a WS version of "Stand By Me". Excellent movie.

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
STAR 80 is available in Australia too.
Netflix Watch Now has a beautiful 16:9 ARTHUR for those who can watch on a screen

AndrewWickliffe

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Wickliffe
This makes no sense...
Warner gave Netflix a widescreen print of "Deathtrap" (for TCM?) and a pan and scan "Point of No Return" (for Watch Now)

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
I was just gonna say "The Man with Two Brains!" It's my favorite Steve Martin film.

I also wanna see "Honeymoon in Vegas" but I think that's MGM.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
And put me down for Spies Like Us. In fact, I swear WB said they were considering some kind of remastered Chevy Chase boxset (similar to the Universal sets featuring Tom Hanks, John Candy, etc.).

(A few minutes later) Ah, I was right:

"We also hope to do a Chevy Chase set in widescreen. The value-based releases you've seen at mass merchants are not what we were referring to in previous chats. The ACE VENTURA COLLECTION is an example of what we plan to do for Chevy and the Grumpys. "

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

Lean On Me has an HD master of some kind, I have seen it a couple of times on TV, either on A&E or CityHD.

And what about True Stories?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks