Warner Bros. cut rate dvd's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrentPollard, Feb 8, 2002.

1. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I read a thread recently (can't find it now) concerning a news article that WB wanted to price dvd low enough to undercut Blockbuster rentals. Well I was grocery shopping at my local Safeway , lo and behold a rack full of Cdn$10.00 WB dvd's all P&S of course. "The horror. The horror".

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

I suspect those are older releases. A long time ago, in an HT galaxy far, far away, the future of DVD was uncertain, and major studios had yet to commit to the format. As a way to quickly bump up the number of available titles, Warner rushed out a bunch of P&S titles with zero features, using old transfers that could be quickly and easily recycled.

Today, when it's become fashionable to bash Warner, those discs are held against them. In fact, their release was one element of a multi-pronged effort to make DVD the preeminent HT format that it is today.

M.

3. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

Ah, you could be right. I probably just noticed them because of the news report, they may have indeed been there all along.