What's new

Warner Bros. CONFIRMS Cats & Dogs WILL BE PAN & SCAN ONLY!!! (1 Viewer)

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
HEY WHAT????
ANGEL SEASON 1 ISN'T GONNA BE WIDESCREEN??? GODDAMNIT!!!!!
alien.gif

Joseph Haddon

Auditioning
And doing it with children's titles is just BEYOND LOW. Kids don't buy 300+ DVD's -- I DO!
Do I count as a child?? (/me is only 14 years old)
If so, then I cant say I've bought 300+ DVDS, but I plan on it
wink.gif

Altho, I cant say WB will be on my to-buy list at this time.
------------------
- Joe

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
In my best immature voice:
WARNER BROTHERS--- YOU SUCK!!!
Has the CEO of their HBO-HD division gone over to their DVD division??? We all know how he feels about OAR on HDTV.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!
[Edited last by Robert Crawford on August 16, 2001 at 02:30 AM]

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
I've made some jokes in prior threads about the 'equilibrium' of the DVD world. In the last year Fox has rocketed up and even MGM shows signs of new life (with the excellent "Platoon" disc and the upcoming "Terminator" set), so to accompany that must be an equally spectacular downfall, and Warner seems to have accepted the challenge. I really need to pick up the old versions of "Iron Giant" and "Blade Runner." Not that I think BR will be P&S, but you never know. IG almost certianly will with news of what happened with "Goonies" (we should be kissing Richard Donner's feet). It's so frustrating to know how little power we truely hold in the market. The ultimate irony is that P&S'ers have, more than likely, developed a hatred of DVD due to the "Black Bars." They probably actively avoid buying them (re: stories of people throwing DVD's down in stores when informed that they're only available in widescreen). So how does Warner think they will make any more money off of J6P DVD's if he never buys any in the first place???????
------------------
Women are often attracted to men with money and power. I have neither, and they know it.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Whoever is making these decisions at Warner is brilliant. Almost as brilliant as Vizzini in the Princess Bride.
I can see it now, looking at how badly Willy Wonka sells. Warner execs with puzzled looks on their faces all chanting "It didn't sell better than the first version that had both widescreen and p&s? Inconceivable!"
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Ya know, I laughed at a full boycott of all Warner releases when someone suggested it in terms of Wonka, just because I was certain they couldn't possibly make such a huge mistake twice -- I was obviously wrong. A full out and out boycott of everything Warner is looking more and more attractive as their stupid decisions continue to mount.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
And here's what I don't understand. EVERYONE and their dog is making 2 disc sets these days. Warner could simply give everyone the same thing twice in this case-once in WS and once in P&S (like the Universal UEs). They can even put on the box in big shiny letters;
2 DISC SET! WOW! IT'S GOT 2 DISCS, SO IT MUST BE TWICE AS GOOD AS EVERYTHING ELSE THERE!
But that might just make too much sense....

Greg_M

Screenwriter
Agee,
You must have a crystal ball! It's coming and it's gonna make Warner Bros, a lot of money. VOD - video on demand for $$$$$$

Luc Labelle

Agent
Just caught wind of the latest AOL Time Warner marketing research:
Figures have shown that 97% of the people in the world do not own DVD players. Therefore, to capture the biggest audience for DVDs we have decided to release blank DVDs
I am not sure of the exact source of this information but judging by how accurately it reflects the IQ level of a WB executive; my guess it's the real deal.
No Widescreen! No Sale!

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I would like to urge all who have posted in this thread to go back over their posts and remove the profanity. No matter how angry we all are over this, that is no excuse for this sort of language.
Also, I'm sure it defeats the purpose of this. This thread doesn't sound very professional at all, it sounds like hot-tempered spoiled brats cursing because something isn't going their way.
I want these movies in their OAR. I mailed Warner and told them so. I signed the petitions. I just don't feel profanity will make anyone take this more seriously, rather the opposite.
We're angry, but let's be angry with style.
------------------
/Kimmo

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
And I repeat...
Personally, I don't think Warner's is going to listen to us whether we spit at them or blow them kisses. They've obviously made up their minds, and nothing's going to change until they either get new people in charge or they get bought out by somebody who cares what their buying public thinks. I can promise that I won't be buying any Warner products until they wise up, and that includes the upcoming Hammer Films "The Mummy", which I bet will be pan and scan anyway. Those of you who know me know what an avid Hammer fan I am. I have every Anchor Bay and Image release so far, some twenty odd movies, and if anybody else would put their Hammer titles out, I'd buy those too. Warner has told us they are going to release The Mummy soon, but have not disclosed whether it will be OAR or not. I'm bettin' it won't. PHAH!!!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Whoa! Hang on just one damn second here, are you trying to tell me that Warner was actually CONSIDERING releasing a pan-n-scan only version of The Goonies!!!???
WE ARE AS GOOD AS DEAD PEOPLE! If they were gonna do this to a film that is 2.35:1 anamorphic, you can forget about The Iron Giant SE, and you can forget The Neverending Story SE as well! No more Warner titles for me AT ALL after The Goonies!
I am going to have one very bad day at work!!
------------------
Listen to the bells fellow members, for it tolls for us.
[Edited last by John Williamson on August 16, 2001 at 04:38 AM]

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Diagram of me coming onto the forum this morning
biggrin.gif
-
eek.gif
-
confused.gif
-
frown.gif
-
angry.gif
-
furious.gif

No, no and triple no - somebody must be pulling my leg here??
I do not understand why they cannot release these DVDs with both Widescreen/P&S or two separate versions - what is the problem with these people. I think they need to catch a wake-up.
I will not be buying any more Warner disks until they change their ways.
Think Wonka is gonna bomb big time though - maybe they'll see sense if that happens. People should cancel these pre-orders - doesn't matter if you have vouchers up the wazoo and are gonna pick up the DVD for a buck - it's the principal of the thing!!
Don

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
In regards to Video on Demand:
This may indeed be WB master plan. But if that's the reason for the p&s of these titles, they're making a big mistake. Those of us who prefer OAR are the ones who buy dvds and to a large extent would refuse VOD only releases just like we refused to use DIVX. Selling a p&s title and then releasing the OAR version only through VOD is stupid and backwards. Do it the other way around. This is like having an OAR SE on vhs and a p&s movie only on laser or dvd. Stupid.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
To those that think that Warner don't care what we think:
Disney held back on the Mononoke release and added a Japanese language track in response to the huge backlash directed towards them.
If CS have full voicemails every day, demanding OAR, then someone up high will hear about it.
How much does a DVD cost to duplicate these days? with all the 2 disc sets it can't be much.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't read the whole thread (five pages in 16 hours! Is this a record?) so I don't know if anyone else has raised this point already, but here goes...
I wonder if "Wonka SE" and "Cats & Dogs" will be released in fullscreen in all countries? Perhaps countries with a higher penetration of widescreen TV sets into the marketplace will get widescreen versions.
I mention this because WB's "Space Jam" was twice released P&S in the USA, but in anamorphic widescreen in the UK.
(By the way, before anyone tries to correct me, can I just say that "Space Jam"'s UK packaging states a 4:3 ratio, but I own the disc and can confirm that it is indeed anamorphic widescreen. Several other early WB releases over here were also labelled wrongly in this way.)

Roger Bijou

Auditioning
Sorry if this has been said already:
A couple of months after the realase of these pan & scam editions, Warner Bros. will announce in an effort to please their loyal customers they will release widescreen editions. They know that there will be some epople who will end up buying both and that's the bottom line. Mo' money.
Warner Bros., YOU WANT WAR? Maybe everyone could go to their local Wal-Mart and hide these pan & scam discs behind some less desirable titles so customers won't be able to find them.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Warner Bros., YOU WANT WAR? Maybe everyone could go to their local Wal-Mart and hide these pan & scam discs behind some less desirable titles so customers won't be able to find them.
Or better yet, go to Wal-Mart and ask for the Widescreen Edition of Willy Wonka/Cats & Dogs. Then when the CSR rep says they don't have it say something like "Well I ain't buying this DVD without the Original Theatrical Aspect Ratio of 1.85:1."
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Come on guys, dont make me post the link to the petition every hour on the hour. If you want to prove to Warner Brothers that we are serious about OAR and not just the movies we like, then this petition needs as many sigs as the Wonka one. I will post this link util I get kicked off the forum if I have to. This has to stop!
http://www.petitiononline.com/catdogdv/petition.html
[Edited last by Charles J P on August 16, 2001 at 08:50 AM]

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Could we have a link on the main forum page directly to the two petitions in question, encouraging people to sign?
------------------
/Kimmo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks